3dprintforums logo

CNCzone Network:  RFQwork :: 3Dprintforums :: Welderzone :: Google+ :: Our Facebook :: Twitter :: SiteMap



Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tormach ATC

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Tormach ATC

    There really has been little said here about it so I felt the need to speak out. Tormach's ATC upgrade is for real. A1, top notch or whatever cliche you want to use.
    Since getting this for the Beta testing I have been using it to build parts for my business and man oh man what an awesome unit. Yes it took a several hours to install but the value added to my PCNC100 is invaluable. I can actually do assembly work while the machine runs and get something done without interuptions. This has essentially increased production almost two fold. This also opens the door for multipart fixturing, another cost savings.
    Thanks again Tormach and I can't wait to see what's next.

    Similar Threads:
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use.
    It never ends. PCNC1100 Series II, PDB, ATC & 4th's


  2. #2
    Registered twocik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    993
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    8
    Sounds awesome ! Are you allowed to show any video of the unit yet ? We've only seen it from a distance, I'd like to see an up close shot or two if you're allowed. Think they'll or could you up the rapids for faster tool changes ?



  3. #3

    ATC

    I really doubt I could do any better job of video that what Tormach has already done. I am not worrying about rapid speeds, this is a excellent unit and as it is you get increase production. Rapids really will not save you huge amounts of time. If you are running a high speed machine then you want eveything fast, this is not a Robodrill and I feel has a great balance.

    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use.
    It never ends. PCNC1100 Series II, PDB, ATC & 4th's


  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    2284
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10
    Some questions to try and quantify your experience to date:

    1) Does it have any kind of error detection/prevention features.
    2) How may tool changes do you estimate your machine has performed and has there been any "failures to change".
    3) Do you have enough confidence to go to bed or out for dinner and leave the machine running or do you feel it is necessay to be in the room at all times.

    Phil



  5. #5

    ATC

    Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Some questions to try and quantify your experience to date:

    1) Does it have any kind of error detection/prevention features.
    2) How may tool changes do you estimate your machine has performed and has there been any "failures to change".
    3) Do you have enough confidence to go to bed or out for dinner and leave the machine running or do you feel it is necessay to be in the room at all times.

    Phil
    1) Yes, if it doesn't complete a tool exchange it stops, my machine has not "crashed".
    2)Thousands but I'm not counting. It runs a full day no issues, the next day it take right off and works.
    3)Yes, if I had new cutters and fool proof fixturing. Sadly I use a cutter until it fails in process, so when it squeels I change it out, material is cheap.

    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use.
    It never ends. PCNC1100 Series II, PDB, ATC & 4th's


  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    2284
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Thumbs up

    Thanks for the answers, sounds like it's going to have a good degree of reliability, which has to be one of (if not) the primary requirement of any ATC.

    Great.

    Phil

    Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    1) Yes, if it doesn't complete a tool exchange it stops, my machine has not "crashed".
    2)Thousands but I'm not counting. It runs a full day no issues, the next day it take right off and works.
    3)Yes, if I had new cutters and fool proof fixturing. Sadly I use a cutter until it fails in process, so when it squeels I change it out, material is cheap.




  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    989
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    9
    do you have to home the machine in the morning when you start? does it home the tool changer as well? how does it know what tool its on, is there a way to set that up? how do you tell it to use a different tool or do you only program 1-10? what if your tool table is much larger and you want to use tool 30? can it figure that out or do you have to reset the offsets for 1-10?



  8. #8

    Thumbs up ATC Info

    Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    do you have to home the machine in the morning when you start? does it home the tool changer as well? how does it know what tool its on, is there a way to set that up? how do you tell it to use a different tool or do you only program 1-10? what if your tool table is much larger and you want to use tool 30? can it figure that out or do you have to reset the offsets for 1-10?
    Holy crap that's a lot of questions!
    No I don't rehome it.
    The ATC doesn't get rehomed either.
    It knows what tool because you tell it, very simple to do. A+ for user friendly.
    My tool table goes from 1-23(so far), I use 9 tools on one of my products. I load the 9 tools I need and input what tool is where as I load,(not in numerical order, I load it by order of use), very simple.
    If the tool isn't in the carousel the machine stops and prompts you to load the correct tool.

    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use.
    It never ends. PCNC1100 Series II, PDB, ATC & 4th's


  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    us
    Posts
    193
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    6
    Can you share the price of the beta unit?

    Is the unit smart enough to not use the toolchanger for the 11th tool and higher?



  10. #10

    ATC

    Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    Can you share the price of the beta unit?

    Is the unit smart enough to not use the toolchanger for the 11th tool and higher?
    No.
    Yes.

    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use.
    It never ends. PCNC1100 Series II, PDB, ATC & 4th's


  11. #11
    Registered cheetahcnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    269
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    7
    How long have you been testing your ATC? ...any revisions/upgrades while you had it?

    Jim



  12. #12
    I am an ATC beta tester as well. Ive pretty much had the same experience. Once we got it installed and used to the operation, its been a freaking blast to use.

    I upgraded to a PDB and thought it made a huge difference in the enjoyment of using the machine... The ATC is about the same level above the PDB as far as bringing the machine to a different level.

    Im just a hobbyist but I really love designing and creating parts for my cars, or something simple for my wife and friends like a cross.

    Ive found it fun being able to use more specific tools, like roughers, chamfer mills, etc when programing. I used to choose the fewest tools possible to get through a part. Its really nice to just let it go.

    Honestly, I was a bit nervous about just letting the machine go. The more I use it, that worry just faded away. Its just been really fun having and using it.

    As far as cost goes, I think when you look at the machine as a whole compared to other machines with a 10 tool ATC it really shows a great deal of value.

    Im sure Tormach would be OK in me saying, yes we got a discount but it wasn't something crazy. The beta testers still had to see the value and pony of a fair amount of $ to be on the list to test the unit.

    Im very happy with my investment and the performance of the ATC when coupled with my 4+ year old Series 1 machine.

    David



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions



About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum from DIY CNC Machines to the Cad/Cam software to run them. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on

Facebook Dribbble RSS Feed