Updating the controller

Thread: Updating the controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Updating the controller

G'day guys,

I've been reading about doing upgrades to the Tormach controller, on these forums and I have a couple of questions.

I've got an 1100, that's about 3 years old, so the (Tormach) controller/computer isn't that old and I did buy it from Tormach.

Before I update to PP2, I figured that it might be worth adding a bit of horsepower.....

I've used SSD's on some of my other computers and I noticed that someone suggested using a 120 gig SSD.
    Other than the cradle (to mount it), I'm assuming that all I need is the correct cable for the motherboard?

Adding RAM seems like a good idea.... do I need to pull the old one out and try to match it up?

Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated.

Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Updating the controller

I have a Tormach supplied controller a little older than yours. Replacing the old drive with a SSD just required pulling the original drive, adding a mounting adapter and plugging it in.

To answer your memory question you need to determine which motherboard is installed. For mine I pulled the existing 1GB DIMM and inserted a 2GB replacement. That said, the basic controller software runs fine with only 1GB.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I have a Tormach supplied controller a little older than yours. Replacing the old drive with a SSD just required pulling the original drive, adding a mounting adapter and plugging it in.

To answer your memory question you need to determine which motherboard is installed. For mine I pulled the existing 1GB DIMM and inserted a 2GB replacement. That said, the basic controller software runs fine with only 1GB.
    G'day Ken

So, the existing cabling (in the case) is correct for the SSD?

So, you're saying that I really don't need the extra RAM ?

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Assuming that your original drive was SATA attached the cables should be fine for an SSD. There is probably no compelling reason to upgrade memory unless you want to run Firefox or other stuff on your controller. You can open a terminal session by pressing ctrl+alt+x and issuing the "top" command to display memory usage.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Assuming that your original drive was SATA attached the cables should be fine for an SSD. There is probably no compelling reason to upgrade memory unless you want to run Firefox or other stuff on your controller. You can open a terminal session by pressing ctrl+alt+x and issuing the "top" command to display memory usage.
    That's cool... I'll just do the hard drive.

Thanks mate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    So, you're saying that I really don't need the extra RAM ?
    I would say you do, if you only have 1 GB in there (which my 3yo controller had). If you look at the physical memory assignment in the console, you can see that most of it is in use, and some have reported crashes with longer g-code programs. The updated LinuxOS seems to require more memory than the version they used for 1.9.x.

Cheap and easy to upgrade, why not? I have a couple 4GB DDR3 sticks lying around in an unused computer, and popped them in. As long as they are faster-rated than the existing chips (and with 1GB DDR3-1333 that I had in there, it is hard to find something slower), they probably will work okay.

Not that it matters, but here is what I put in: Kingston HyperX khx1600c903k2/8gx 2x4GB9 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Rather than trying to "match" the single DIMM already installed (lots of luck finding a cheap 1GB stick except on Ebay), just pull it and chuck it and buy at least 2 matched DDR3 DIMMs. 2x2GB will run you $40.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I would say you do, if you only have 1 GB in there (which my 3yo controller had). If you look at the physical memory assignment in the console, you can see that most of it is in use, and some have reported crashes with longer g-code programs. The updated LinuxOS seems to require more memory than the version they used for 1.9.x.

Cheap and easy to upgrade, why not? I have a couple 4GB DDR3 sticks lying around in an unused computer, and popped them in. As long as they are faster-rated than the existing chips (and with 1GB DDR3-1333 that I had in there, it is hard to find something slower), they probably will work okay.

Not that it matters, but here is what I put in: Kingston HyperX khx1600c903k2/8gx 2x4GB9 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Rather than trying to "match" the single DIMM already installed (lots of luck finding a cheap 1GB stick except on Ebay), just pull it and chuck it and buy at least 2 matched DDR3 DIMMs. 2x2GB will run you $40.
    Thanks for the info...

I did a search for "DDR3 DIMMs" and there's a boat-load of varieties.
    Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 2GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 240Pin
    4 GB (2x2GB) Ddr3 PC3 -12800S
    and that's just a sample!

I can pull the old chip out... go to a computer store and get it matched up. But, I've ordered the SSD and I was going to
    change the drive and the RAM at the same time, then I can do the upgrade to PP2

If you could let me know what I can use, I'd really appreciate it.

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    If you could let me know what I can use, I'd really appreciate it.
    You need DDR3 (safe bet based upon the length of time Tormach has been assembling their computers). You should buy a pair and install them both (they sell them as 2 x 2GB, for example, which is what I would recommend).

You should get ones that are 1333, or 1600 speed.

I would recommend this:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231277

Installation is really easy: just pull the two handles on both sides of the ram slot outward and pull out the old one. Look at the "key " on the RAM (where there is a slot that lines up inside the ram slot, keeps you from inserting it backwards), and then push it straight down. The handles will close.

If your computer is like mine, there is a drive cage that gets in the way, but you can still pop the far latch with the end of a screwdriver, so you don't need to take it apart.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    You need DDR3 (safe bet based upon the length of time Tormach has been assembling their computers). You should buy a pair and install them both (they sell them as 2 x 2GB, for example, which is what I would recommend).

You should get ones that are 1333, or 1600 speed.

I would recommend this:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231277

Installation is really easy: just pull the two handles on both sides of the ram slot outward and pull out the old one. Look at the "key " on the RAM (where there is a slot that lines up inside the ram slot, keeps you from inserting it backwards), and then push it straight down. The handles will close.

If your computer is like mine, there is a drive cage that gets in the way, but you can still pop the far latch with the end of a screwdriver, so you don't need to take it apart.
    Changing the RAM doesn't bother me, I've done that many times.
    I just wanted to make sure that I get the right one's.... thanks for the info.

Michael