Memory Requirements?

Thread: Memory Requirements?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Memory Requirements?

My Tormach supplied controller has 1GB of RAM. According to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements the minimum recommended for the 64-bit version of Ubuntu is 2GB. I don't plan to run additional apps on the controller. Is there an advantage to upgrading RAM?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Memory Requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Enter the command “top” & check it’s display. You should see what the total, used & free memory are.
    wow, just checked. My 2014 Controller only has 1 GB too. I think I will add a couple of sticks just on general principle. I am sure I have some compatible DIMMs lying around unused.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a few quick tests.
    After starting the controller and homing, top shows total memory of 846644KB with 61408KB free and no swap used. After loading one of my typical gcode files it shows 12684KB free and 256K of swap used. That seems to mean that 1GB memory is only marginally acceptable.

My controller has two memory slots with one slot occupied with a Crucial memory stick labeled "1GB-240 128MX64 DDR3". There is a label inside the case indicating that the motherboard is an Intel DH61DL. See https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...op-boards.html for tested memory modules for that motherboard.

Last edited by kstrauss; 12-30-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Add link to memory specifications

Downloads
    Uploads

I had the firefox browser open and it was unusable. Someone suggested looking at the memory. From terminal I used the free -m command. The -m shows you memory in Mb. I had very little free. So I added a 2GB memory stick I wasn't using that happened to be the right kind. Much better now. The memory I added was Crucial CT25664BA160B

"You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman