Dropbox Unresponsive

Thread: Dropbox Unresponsive

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dropbox Unresponsive

I just installed PP2 and am trying to get Dropbox going. After you login you get a browser page, but I keep getting page unresponsive errors from the Chrome browser. I have a good internet connection.

Similar Threads:
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dropbox Unresponsive

From the dropbox app, I'm getting dropbox unresponsive errors. I don't know what Tormach did for the dropbox implementation, but so far it's terrible. I've entered the folders I want excluded, but Dropbox is syncing them anyway.

"You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Downloads
    Uploads

I went into Linux GUI and installed dropbox from terminal:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install dropbox

Seems to have worked okay. I noticed while I was in the Linux GUI that the Chrome browser was very slow, basically unusable. Even just trying to change tabs was very slow, let alone pages displaying.

Doing it this way I got the normal DropBox config window and it's easy to deselect folders to sync. Maybe Tormach doesn't want it installed this way for reliability reasons, I'll see if it causes a problem with PP 2.

--Scott

I'd guess memory constraints are impacting your responsiveness. 1 GB controllers are a bit tight for the new 64-bit linux kernel + PathPilot + Chrome tabs + Dropbox daemons (esp. if you have a large Dropbox account).

I found the 2.0.0 release notes mention a new ADMIN MEMORY command - looks like it tells you how much memory is on your system on the Status page.

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    I went into Linux GUI and installed dropbox from terminal:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install dropbox

Seems to have worked okay. I noticed while I was in the Linux GUI that the Chrome browser was very slow, basically unusable. Even just trying to change tabs was very slow, let alone pages displaying.

Doing it this way I got the normal DropBox config window and it's easy to deselect folders to sync. Maybe Tormach doesn't want it installed this way for reliability reasons, I'll see if it causes a problem with PP 2.

--Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I'll have to give the memory command a try.

Downloads
    Uploads

Forgive my ignorance, but I've always wondered why Dropbox was used in this new version of PathPilot. If the controller can see Dropbox, then it must be on a local network. Can't the controller see directories on this network instead of having to use Dropbox?

Juan

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep. I've been connecting to a network share since the beta for PP. A free Microsoft utility, robocopy, provides quick sync of any changed files.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Yep. I've been connecting to a network share since the beta for PP. A free Microsoft utility, robocopy, provides quick sync of any changed files.
    Could you give more detail about how you set this up?

Downloads
    Uploads

Likewise, I just post G code straight to the Tormach share drive. The Tormach is otherwise firewalled off from the internet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    Could you give more detail about how you set this up?
    I setup a new share on the control computer that points to the \operator directory on the control machine so that I have access to all useful LinuxCNC files.

XPS9100 is my CAD/CAM machine. I run the following .CMD file (via an icon on the desktop) on my workshop machine whenever I finish editing and posting the gcode. All files on the workshop machine are synced with the office machine and then files on the Tormach control computer are synced from the workshop machine. That means that I have three copies of everything on machines in two buildings.

net use y: \\pcnc770\operator
    c:\drawings\robocopy \\xps9100\drawings c:\drawings /r:0 /s /e /purge
    c:\drawings\robocopy c:\drawings y:\gcode\drawings /r:0 /s /e /purge

See https://pureinfotech.com/how-to-use-...ool-microsoft/ or use Google to find more on robocopy.