PathPilot install procedure

Thread: PathPilot install procedure

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PathPilot install procedure

I recieved my PP 2 usb stick today, the notice card says to go to tormach.com/pp-2howto , and it doesnt work for me, I wonder if anyone has trouble with the link as I have?
    It says 1.9.13 has to be installed first, I havent done this yet as my Ninja Knobs update hasnt been sent yet, so I wanted to follow the correct procedure for the update, but I need the link.............
    any help appreciated

Similar Threads:
    mike sr

Default Re: PathPilot install procedure

Hyphen is in the wrong spot. Try this:

https://www.tormach.com/PP2-HowTo

Downloads
    Uploads

I got to the page finally, and it downloaded a PDF with 12 pages of the install procedure!

Path pilot is fine software, no miscues etc, absolutely love it!

Now this install procedure for a 78 year old isnt going to be that easy, I may have to wait until one of my grandsons come over.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by old-cnc-geek View Post
    Hyphen is in the wrong spot. Try this:

https://www.tormach.com/PP2-HowTo

Thank you sir for the info

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Its not so bad of an install. The instructions are pretty good.

Took me about 5 min, but I have a SSD

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    Its not so bad of an install. The instructions are pretty good.

Took me about 5 min, but I have a SSD
    I will work on it later as I have the Ninja Knobs and the update isnt ready for 2.0 yet.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I will work on it later as I have the Ninja Knobs and the update isnt ready for 2.0 yet.
    I'll get ya going...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I got to the page finally, and it downloaded a PDF with 12 pages of the install procedure!

Path pilot is fine software, no miscues etc, absolutely love it!

Now this install procedure for a 78 year old isnt going to be that easy, I may have to wait until one of my grandsons come over.
    Apparently the first batch of orders was shipped Friday. Mine arrived Monday too. Install procedure is just a checklist, so unless the grands arrive quickly just treat it as a "PP for Dummies" set of directions. It sure read like it was intended to avoid calls to the help line (and I suspect will generate more, not less).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    I'll get ya going...
    This is one addition that I wouldnt be without period!

Indespensible on a new program............. thanks Pete.......

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't recv'd mine yet, but ran across a Tormach video on YouTube on how to do the install.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Unless there is a very compelling reason to do so, I think I'll pass on this one. Also, if it's a fresh install why does it require 1.9?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    Unless there is a very compelling reason to do so, I think I'll pass on this one. Also, if it's a fresh install why does it require 1.9?
    From the install Tech Bulletin: "The latest version of Pathpilot 1.9.x has settings that improve the backup process, so you must update...." PP1.9.13 and mods to that seems to be a stable release, and upgrade is both free and easy. All upside, no problems, seems reasonable to run that one. But, yeah, the justification seems a bit wimpy for having 1.9.13 in order to move to PP 2.0. Don't forget that there's a slick improvement to 13, allowing better probing- and that may be a reason to stay with 13, in fact.

PP 2.0 is worthwhile if one needs Dropbox, wants to do auto-updates, run a network, or have a more recent release of Linux. There are also some improvements for the Slant 15 that sound good, but irrelevant to the mill. Of the ones that apply, only the last one gets my attention. I don't like having machine controllers accessible to any network (both safety and security reasons), and some PP updates have been disasters (1.9.6, replaced within a day or two with 6b), so letting Tormach push an update seems to invite problems. I'm doing the update to get a more recent Linux machine, but that's it.

It probably makes a lot of sense to sit this one out until additional releases of PP2 add compelling improvements beyond just connectivity.

Downloads
    Uploads

The larger sliders are nice on the touch screen

Just to clarify what I'm seeing:

The new automatic update feature over the internet only automatically notifies you of the availability of an update. Tormach cannot "push" an update. Even with this enabled, you have to manually decide when to apply an update. The software simply makes applying it far easier by downloading it for you instead of doing the USB flash drive dance. And it still archives previous versions so you can back up, just like you could with the USB flash drive updating procedure.

Downloads
    Uploads

I get that caution before updating software is always prudent, but I suspect there will be no more updates to the 1.x pathpilot versions, so unless you want to forgo all future updates, you're going to eventually have to bite the bullet on v 2.0. So my vote would be to go ahead and get it, then stick it in the drawer, if you want to wait for others to test the waters.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by old-cnc-geek View Post
    Just to clarify what I'm seeing:

The new automatic update feature over the internet only automatically notifies you of the availability of an update. Tormach cannot "push" an update. Even with this enabled, you have to manually decide when to apply an update. The software simply makes applying it far easier by downloading it for you instead of doing the USB flash drive dance. And it still archives previous versions so you can back up, just like you could with the USB flash drive updating procedure.
    Correct. My error. I can still read, but at this point remembering is obviously getting a bit iffy... or as we used to say, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Downloads
    Uploads

I received my usb, ! It has a warning card stating it does a clean install and read directions carefully. Did that last week on a cad/cam system. I like their methods