Problem spurious 'Attempt to divide by zero' message

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spurious 'Attempt to divide by zero' message

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy spurious 'Attempt to divide by zero' message

The message below the line presents an interesting puzzle, but the solution turns out to be simple. While running the code shown, the interpreter was simultaneously looking ahead through the main program and down into the subroutine next to be called. That's where it found the attempted division by zero. With the diplomatic discretion for which it is famous, the interpreter did not choose to reveal where it had found the problem.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a gCode program that causes PathPilot to generate a false 'Attempt to divide by zero' message. To document the problem, I went through my code and logged the divisor of every division, even where the divisor was a constant. Some of the resulting code looks like this:
    Code:

#1 = [2 * #<HPasses>]
                (debug, A = #5423, T.P = #<_TP>, divisor(2 * HPasses) = #1)
                #<CutProg> = [#<_TierProg> / [2 * #<HPasses>]] ; .. 2 cuts per loop
                #<HPass> = 0                                   ; ..
                o 10351 repeat [#<HPasses>]                    ; loops cycle outward
                    #<HPass> = [#<HPass> + 1]                  ; ..
                    #<_TP> = [#<_ReportTier> + #<HPass>/10000] ; added for debugging

#<WOffset> = [#<HPass> * #<WOC>]           ; ..
                   (debug, A = #5423, T.P = #<_TP>, divisor(2) = 2)
                    #<ToeUnder> = [#<WOffset> + #<_ToolRadius> - #<_SlotWidth> / 2]
                    o 10355 if [#<_Finishing> OR [#<ToeUnder> GT 0]] ; cut into side
                        #<XOffset> = [#<WOffset> * #<_sin>]
                        #<YOffset> = [#<WOffset> * #<_cos>]
                        #<XSE> = [#<_XClearStart> + #<XOffset>]
                        #<YSE> = [#<_YClearStart> - #<YOffset>]

#<XNE> = [#<_XClearEnd>   + #<XOffset>]
                        #<YNE> = [#<_YClearEnd>   - #<YOffset>]

#<XNW> = [#<_XClearEnd>   - #<XOffset>]
                        #<YNW> = [#<_YClearEnd>   + #<YOffset>]

#<XSW> = [#<_XClearStart> - #<XOffset>]
                        #<YSW> = [#<_YClearStart> + #<YOffset>]

G00 X [#<XSE>] Y [#<YSE>]                               ; to SE
                        G01 X [#<XNE>] Y [#<YNE>] A [#<_OldA> + #<CutProg>]     ; to NE
                        G00 X [#<XNW>] Y [#<YNW>]                               ; to NW
                        G01 X [#<XSW>] Y [#<YSW>] A [#<_OldA> + 2 * #<CutProg>] ; to SW
                        G00 X [#<_XClearStart>] Y [#<_YClearStart>]             ; to Clear
                        #<_OldA> = [#<_OldA> + 2 * #<CutProg>]
                    o 10355 else                                 ; don't bother cutting air
                        #<_OldA> = [#<_OldA> + 2 * #<CutProg>]   ; easy progress
                        G00 A [#<_OldA>]                         ; ..
                    o 10355 endif                                ; on to next loop
                o 10351 endrepeat                                ; ..
    About 3 minutes into the operation of the program, PathPilot's Status output from this code includes (color added)
    Code:
     A = 18.973602, T.P = 10.001000, divisor(2) = 2
    Attempt to divide by zero
     A = 18.823018, T.P = 10.000900, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 18.672434, T.P = 10.000800, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 18.521850, T.P = 10.000700, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 18.371266, T.P = 10.000600, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 18.220682, T.P = 10.000500, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 18.070098, T.P = 10.000400, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 17.919513, T.P = 10.000300, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 17.768929, T.P = 10.000200, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 17.618345, T.P = 10.000100, divisor(2) = 2
     A = 17.618345, T.P = 10.000000, divisor(2 * HPasses) = 26.000000
    The code quoted above is inside a subroutine, so execution goes ahead despite PathPilot's mistaken detection of an error, but then the run aborts as soon as this subroutine returns.

Has anyone else seen this problem before? I don't see how it could be tracked down without going through the code of PP's gCode interpreter.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Fenichel; 12-03-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: problem solved

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: spurious 'Attempt to divide by zero' message

Is it a PathPilot issue or LinuxCNC issue? AFAIK, PathPilot does a minimal amount of extra error checking on loading a file (verifies it's not a binary for example), but LinuxCNC owns the interpreter.

If so, you'll get a lot more traction going to LinuxCNC rather than posting here.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a LinuxCNC issue. As noted in other threads, the control-structure features of gCode were kludged on. The chosen syntax is ugly, with dysfunctional redundancy, and the interpreter was adapted to accept the new features with minimal changes, so, for example, a syntactic error in a subroutine is reported as if it occurred in the calling program, and an execution error in a subroutine (division by zero, for example), may be reported (without location information) while that subroutine is executing, while the caller is executing, or while an unrelated subroutine is executing.

But again, as I tried to say in my earlier post, the problem is not -- as I first thought -- one of falsely claiming attempts to divide by zero. It is a problem of error handling.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have an example that demonstrates the problem then posting it to the emc-users mailing list (https://sourceforge.net/projects/emc/lists/emc-users) might provide a useful result. The list has a number of very LinuxCNC savvy users and developers.

Downloads
    Uploads

@Ken Strauss
    The easiest demo I could think of is
    Code:
    M98 p100
    M30

o 100
    #1 = 0
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    (add as many as you like)
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    lkjlkjlkjlkjlkj
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    (add as many as you like)
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    #1 = [#1+1]
    M99
    Pathpilot responds to this with the message
    Code:
    G-Code error in demo1.ncc
    Near line: 2
    Invalid G code command issued
    even though the problem is not near line 2 at all.

It's a little harder to show that messages like "Attempt to divide by zero" can show up while no dividing (much less by zero) is going on, because one must somehow generate a case in which PP's lookahead parsing and pre-execution has got sufficiently far ahead during a time-consuming routine A that PP is working on a to-be-called routine B, finds the error, and sends the (location-unidentified) diagnostic message out amid the status output of the innocent, not-yet-completed routine A. I have such an example (that's why I started this thread), but it has lots of distracting detail.

In any event, the floating "Attempt to divide by zero" is really the same problem as in the trivial example above. If PP had been written so that the message in the example above were
    Code:
    G-Code error in demo1.ncc
    Near line: 55 (or wherever the actual lkjlkjlkjlkj were)
    Invalid G code command issued
    then it would presumably avoid the mysterious, untethered "Attempt to divide by zero" by saying
    Code:
    Error in demo1sub.ngc
    Near line: 232 (or wherever)
    Attempt to divide by zero

This is such an old issue that I find it hard to believe that the LinuxCNC people have not seen it long ago, and decided, for one reason or another, that it was too much trouble to fix. Do you really think that sending them something would help?

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Not being a LinuxCNC developer I have no idea if it would help. That said, most developers aspire to produce error free software.

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont see any history of this error in LinuxCNC, and since this code is using specific PathPilot interpreter modifications
    (M98 and M99 are not supported by LinuxCNC)
    I suspect Its a PathPilot interpreter bug and should be brought to Tormach's attention

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like there is a problem reporting subroutine line numbers for error reporting rather than actual errors in the interpreter then?

I wonder if they are counting the M98 as the "line" being executed and whatever the sub does is considered to be part of that operation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    I dont see any history of this error in LinuxCNC, and since this code is using specific PathPilot interpreter modifications
    (M98 and M99 are not supported by LinuxCNC)
    I suspect Its a PathPilot interpreter bug and should be brought to Tormach's attention
    The example I showed was M98/M99-dependent, but the same thing happens with an o <subr> call to a <subr>.ngc file.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fenichel View Post
    The example I showed was M98/M99-dependent, but the same thing happens with an o <subr> call to a <subr>.ngc file.
    In LinuxCNC?

Can you provide and example of that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Sounds like there is a problem reporting subroutine line numbers for error reporting rather than actual errors in the interpreter then?

I wonder if they are counting the M98 as the "line" being executed and whatever the sub does is considered to be part of that operation.
    Yes, that's what they are doing. It's not what they should be doing.

Even if it were true (it isn't) that the only subroutines ever used should be those supplied by Tormach, they must concede that there will be occasional bugs. Possibly those bugs will be beyond the competence of ordinary users to fix. Even then, suppose my code is
    Code:
    (my code here)               ; lines 1-50
    o <Tormachsub1> call         ; line 51
    (my code here)               ; lines 51-60
    o <Tormachsub2> call         ; line 61
    (my code here)               ; lines 62-70
    o <Tormachsub3> call         ; line 71
    and that every other line of my code is a debug statement to help me localize problems. If there is a bug in the Tormachsub3.ngc file, PathPilot might issue its diagnostic right after the status line generated by my line 52, amid the lines generated by Tormachsub2, after the status line generated by my line 64, or (only if I were lucky) amid the lines generated by Tormachsub3. What should I tell Tormach to help them find and fix the bug?

Last edited by Fenichel; 12-04-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: errors in pseudocode

Downloads
    Uploads

@PCW_MESA
    Yes, but (as noted in message #5), my example has a lot of distracting detail. It has a main program (125 lines) that calls 4 different subroutines. The first 2 subroutines are trivial (14 lines, 23 lines), after which a call lets subroutine #3 (163 lines) chug along for a few minutes. When it is getting near its end, a diagnostic relating to the (then buggy, now fixed) subroutine #4 (116 lines) appears amid the status reports from subroutine #3.
    I'll unfix subroutine #4 and upload the package if you really want to see it.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I have attached a slightly cut-down version of my original example, still using 4 subroutines & a caller. The exact timing of the appearance of the 'Attempt to divide by zero' message is probably environment-dependent; running PP 1.9.13 in a VirtualBox under Windows 7/64, I see it when the A register (used by all my programs as a progress meter) is between 17 & 18. Your mileage may vary.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fenichel View Post
    OK, I have attached a slightly cut-down version of my original example, still using 4 subroutines & a caller. The exact timing of the appearance of the 'Attempt to divide by zero' message is probably environment-dependent; running PP 1.9.13 in a VirtualBox under Windows 7/64, I see it when the A register (used by all my programs as a progress meter) is between 17 & 18. Your mileage may vary.
    Unfortunately this not very close to legal LinuxCNC gcode...

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I'll take it up with Tormach.

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately this not very close to legal LinuxCNC gcode...
    I'm not a gcode expert and mostly just use CAM but I'm curious. You said that Tormach had added M98/M99. Could you indicate some of the other differences between LinuxCNC gcode and what is allowed on the Tormach?

Downloads
    Uploads

At least as regards M98/M99, the issue of LinuxCNC compliance is a red herring. The same mislocating diagnostic is generated by this
    Code:
    o <erroneous> call
    M30
    o <erroneous> sub
    #1 = 1
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    ';l';l';l';l';l';l';l
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    #1 = [#1 + 1]
    o <erroneous> endsub
    as by my earlier example using M98/M99.

I'll update my multi-file example to be LinuxCNC-compliant as soon as PCW_MESA tells us what other differences might be important.

Downloads
    Uploads

The problems I found were unsupported G and M codes plus comments on Gcode lines
    (LinuxCNC does not allow comments at the end of an active gcode line)

I think the error message source problems are the same or similar

Since the divide by 0 error doesn't seem to have even been noticed in LinuxCNC
    I suspect its a Pathpilot issue or something about your environment.
    If it can be duplicated on a current version of LinuxCNC (2.7.11 or 2.8) , its definitely worth raising PR

( Note that PathPilots version of LinuxCNC is about a 2 year old fork for with significant interpreter changes)

Downloads
    Uploads

The problems I found were unsupported G and M codes plus comments on Gcode lines
    (LinuxCNC does not allow comments at the end of an active gcode line)
    What do you mean by "active gcode line"? In G Code Overview the only restriction seems to be that "comments may appear between words, but not between words and their corresponding parameter". I don't immediately see any lines in Fenichel's example that violate that restriction. What am I missing?

Is there a list of the G and M codes that are unsupported in LinuxCNC so that I can avoid using them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I was wrong about the comments ";" comments can be used at end of lines, I probably deleted some other cause of a syntax
    error when I deleted the comments and thought they were an issue

The g/mcodes I remember deleting were g98 and G50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast