Alternate Homing method

Thread: Alternate Homing method

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alternate Homing method

Any Tormach owners out there not using the homing switches?. I noticed a method mention in the manual to shut off switches and then manually homing the mill using preset indicators, scales or some other method that would be more accurate then a roller switch.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Alternate Homing method

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Any Tormach owners out there not using the homing switches?. I noticed a method mention in the manual to shut off switches and then manually homing the mill using preset indicators, scales or some other method that would be more accurate then a roller switch.
    Cool! Thats a great find. What page did you find that on? The big VMCs use inductive sensors I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

That's funny,I read the note a few days before posting the question and now I cant find it. Might be in a path pilot release note. It was in the section about trouble shooting homing switches. I figured after reading that people were setting up indicators on x,y axis to home there machines to indicator values.

Found it on page 66 or page 67 of newest manual.

Disable Home Switches
    This setting exists to provide a temporary workaround for a malfunctioning home switch circuit: On the Settings page you may check the disable home switches check box. The Ref X, Ref Y, Ref Z, and Ref A buttons now set the machine home position to the machine position at the time the button is pressed instead of going through the homing procedure.

NOTE: If desired, this procedure may be used in conjunction with one or more dial indicators mounted at the ends of machine travel to provide a more accurate method of manually referencing the machine.

Last edited by mountaindew; 11-02-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will have to try that, I have run on three seperate occasions, shutting the machine down, restarting and homing each time, the machine was off less than .001 to the original position on the fixture. For my wood parts I am running here lately thats plenty close enough.

Very interesting.................

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I will have to try that, I have run on three seperate occasions, shutting the machine down, restarting and homing each time, the machine was off less than .001 to the original position on the fixture. For my wood parts I am running here lately thats plenty close enough.

Very interesting.................
    My machine was acceptable and consistent until about a week ago. Now its off a little on the x axis at times. If a new switch will help this I will be happy to replace it . Guess I was getting spoiled there for a while. Just turn on, home it, load material,load tool, touch, skim surface, set z , load program and let it rip. Cost of power does not allow me to just let the machine set on very long.
    Not long ago I homed the machine and stepped on the pdb peddle without my hand on the 1/4 tts holder in spindle. It dropped straight down 12" + onto a 1/4" brass rod in the vise and stopped with a perfect landing If only I had a camera recording that one. Anyway it proved that it was very accurate a few months back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    My machine was acceptable and consistent until about a week ago. Now its off a little on the x axis at times. If a new switch will help this I will be happy to replace it . Guess I was getting spoiled there for a while. Just turn on, home it, load material,load tool, touch, skim surface, set z , load program and let it rip. Cost of power does not allow me to just let the machine set on very long.
    Not long ago I homed the machine and stepped on the pdb peddle without my hand on the 1/4 tts holder in spindle. It dropped straight down 12" + onto a 1/4" brass rod in the vise and stopped with a perfect landing If only I had a camera recording that one. Anyway it proved that it was very accurate a few months back.
    Electric rates here are 12+ cents in the summer months and 8+ cents per kwh here winter rate, last month which was no AC to speak of was 85 dollars, summer months I believe was around 250 dollars for the highest month this summer.

I try to keep machine usage to a minimum in the summer months, I think the rates here are very reasonable compared to other areas.

edit: I always home and probe the fixture for metal parts, I dont trust the switches except for those wood giveaway parts I make.

edit: I use oil for coolant so there hasnt been any water on the machine or switches for about 4 years now plus I sealed them up when the machine was new.

Last edited by popspipes; 11-03-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at adding a number of fixtures sprinkled around on my table. Accurate homing would make all those offsets much more convenient to use. Power in this area is 19.7 cents kw year round and they have two more rate increases in the pipe also a 5$ fee for all residential customers that go over 500kw a month. lol I have replaced about everything that uses power, including a.c. unit, refrigerator, lighting, tv's, even aquarium pumps with very expensive efficient smaller units so I can keep my 20 year old fish . Replaced 1200w of 4 ft shop lights with led and now all the lights in my house run less then half of the watts that I used in shop alone. I mentioned in another thread pv cell panels are right on the edge of breaking even cost wise to own/maintain your own power system.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 4 8' flourescents in the garage, I replaced them all with 4 60 watt leds per fixture, works fine and for a lot less........ I use led's throught the house as well

mike sr