PathPilot Simulator & USB I/O Interface Kit - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PathPilot Simulator & USB I/O Interface Kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot Simulator & USB I/O Interface Kit

You're close. The inputs (knobs, buttons, sliders, whatever) connect to a board (could be arduino, or others), then the board connects to the controller via USB.

If you want to add a button (or any other input) to mimic one of the several out-of-the-box PP keyboard shortcuts, then its quite simple and all you really need to do from a software standpoint is keyboard emulation. However if you want to do something that path pilot doesnt have keyboard shortcuts for or you want two-way communication, then its more complicated.

In my case I'm only doing one-way communication. I added a bunch of keyboard shortcuts to PP because they dont exist for controlling the sliders, probing and all the other things I wanted. The only downside is that I have to readd those changes after every PP update. The good side is that it makes the machine easier to use and the changes only take me about 1/2 day to implement and test.

When I first started building this out, I didnt know how to add buttons to the PathPilot interface. Since then, I have figured that out and wont need as many physical inputs, but I'll probably keep them just incase my touchscreen takes a dump.

Here's a screenshot of the probing routines I added to PP 1.9.13 (it also shows the WCS buttons I added at the bottom). I havent added them to 2.0 yet because I knew there would probably be an update soon after the initial release. Turns out I was right.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PathPilot Simulator & USB I/O Interface Kit-probe_screen-jpg  
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks sharmstr. I really like the corner probes screen .How are you assigning new keyboard shortcuts? Sorry for all the questions this has really caught my interest.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

By editing the PP core files.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    You're close. The inputs (knobs, buttons, sliders, whatever) connect to a board (could be arduino, or others), then the board connects to the controller via USB.

If you want to add a button (or any other input) to mimic one of the several out-of-the-box PP keyboard shortcuts, then its quite simple and all you really need to do from a software standpoint is keyboard emulation. However if you want to do something that path pilot doesnt have keyboard shortcuts for or you want two-way communication, then its more complicated.

In my case I'm only doing one-way communication. I added a bunch of keyboard shortcuts to PP because they dont exist for controlling the sliders, probing and all the other things I wanted. The only downside is that I have to readd those changes after every PP update. The good side is that it makes the machine easier to use and the changes only take me about 1/2 day to implement and test.

When I first started building this out, I didnt know how to add buttons to the PathPilot interface. Since then, I have figured that out and wont need as many physical inputs, but I'll probably keep them just incase my touchscreen takes a dump.

Here's a screenshot of the probing routines I added to PP 1.9.13 (it also shows the WCS buttons I added at the bottom). I havent added them to 2.0 yet because I knew there would probably be an update soon after the initial release. Turns out I was right.

Thats awesome work! Any info on how you add the keyboard shortcuts to PP? Very interested in doing the same as I have a console that emulates a keyboard that I used on a different mill in the past and was just waiting on keyboard hotkeys.

Thanks,
    Scott...

Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    Thats awesome work! Any info on how you add the keyboard shortcuts to PP?
    Thanks, Scott. Off the top of my head, it was something like

PHP Code:
    if kv == gtk.keysyms.F1 and event.type == gtk.gdk.KEY_PRESS:

do_something(self
    If you're familar with PHP, the PP code is easy to read and well commented.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12