G30 for Hardness Testing.

Thread: G30 for Hardness Testing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G30 for Hardness Testing.

I've been running PP for some time now and really liking it but after several years trying to fathom Fusion 360 I gave up. I tried a variety of tutorials that were long on showcasing the presenter's expertise but short on tutoring. Fortunately, I've kept my license and about a week ago I discovered two great tutorials that actually tutor. One is by Lars Christensen and the other by Paul McWhorter. Both are awesome and I'm now generating good g-code using the default Tormach post processor. For some reason it always generates a few G30 codes which I replace with G0 Z something. A few days ago I missed one little G30 and before I could hit the big red life saver, a carbide EM plunged into one of the jaws of my otherwise gorgeous Kurt. I looked up G30 and G28 but still have no idea how to use them. They are supposed to move the spindle to a safe place but 1/4" into my vise jaw really isn't a save place. Any help or should I just continue avoiding the G30?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G30 for Hardness Testing.

You can easily set G30. I have it set at a good height for me to do tool changes

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, see here about some tutorials (start to finish)
    TITANS of CNC: Academy

Tormach has lots of videos. Might be a good idea to watch them
    https://www.tormach.com/videos.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a link to the Christensen and McWhorter tutorials that you found useful? I need something!

Downloads
    Uploads

One the SBL 15, G30 is a time saver.
    That is the back off from Z zero to change tools. The closer you set G30, the faster the machine cycles the parts.
    I home the machine. Then run Z to the G30 position I want. Then I hit Set G30 on the screen. Simple as that.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Do you have a link to the Christensen and McWhorter tutorials that you found useful? I need something!
    Lars:

Paul:

View both of them I like Paul's title, "learn Fusion 360 or die trying".

You're going to love F360.

BTW, Just yesterday I received, in kit form, the Prusa 3D printer seen in Paul's video.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    You can easily set G30. I have it set at a good height for me to do tool changes

Josh, I fixed it yesterday. Set it to the Z axis home position and all is well. Just before a tool change or at the end of the program, the spindle rapids to the home position. Nice! I didn't want it to simultaneously move in the X or Y axis for fear of crashing into something.

I found a Kurt made replacement for $27.00, with free shipping on Amazon. One huge advantage of buying American is the availability of factory replacement parts. I opted to pay an extra quid or three and also ordered the plate for the fixed jaw.

Thanks