Has anyone gotten PP to work on a 1100-2 mill?

Thread: Has anyone gotten PP to work on a 1100-2 mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Has anyone gotten PP to work on a 1100-2 mill?

I'm trying to help an internet friend, so I have no access to the machine. He installed PP on a new PC and specified 1100-2 on the install.

I was surprised to find that there is no tormach_1100-2.ini file generated; rather there is an 1100_3 INI file. So we have no way to know if the control boards for V2 vs. V3 are significantly different in terms of pins or the proper 5i25 bit file. Currently he reports that he can jog the axes, but trying to reference them generates buzzing at the machine and no axis movement.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Has anyone gotten PP to work on a 1100-2 mill?

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    I'm trying to help an internet friend, so I have no access to the machine. He installed PP on a new PC and specified 1100-2 on the install.

I was surprised to find that there is no tormach_1100-2.ini file generated; rather there is an 1100_3 INI file. So we have no way to know if the control boards for V2 vs. V3 are significantly different in terms of pins or the proper 5i25 bit file. Currently he reports that he can jog the axes, but trying to reference them generates buzzing at the machine and no axis movement.
    I have a series 2 1100 that I have been running PP on ever since PP came out.

Downloads
    Uploads

My 1100-2 (mid-2009) has the original control board, though I've done the upgrades to steppers & drivers (sometime in 2011/early 12). No problems at all with any PP release, I've been using it since the late beta.

The motion upgrade preceeded the PP install. I don't recall needing to identify my machine model when I switched. Doesn't mean I didn't, but I am sure I haven't with recent updates. As I understand the "updates", they are really complete reinstalls of the entire system.

As usual, I'd call Tormach for questions like these.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is essentially no difference between the series 2 and series 3 control boards other than some additional functionality programmed into the controller chip. It sounds like you're trying to run a series 2 (with the 2 phase stepper motors) with a series 3 ini configuration. The only difference between the two configurations are the maximum feed rates and accelerations. The series 3 accelerations are twice the values set for the series 2 and it sounds to me like the series 2 steppers can't handle this. Try renaming the config_file.txt and restart PathPilot. You'll get a message saying that the config file can't be found and then you'll be able to re-select the required configuration. Be sure to select "Find your machine here" which will bring you to a list of all PCNC mill versions.
    Good luck
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem has been resolved; user had failed to read the manual.

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem has been resolved; user had failed to read the manual.
    PEBKAM?

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.