Problem- Brand New pcnc 770-Computer not finding mesa card! WTF?

Thread: Problem- Brand New pcnc 770-Computer not finding mesa card! WTF?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem- Brand New pcnc 770-Computer not finding mesa card! WTF?

Like I said in the title, Brand new 770, Start up today, first time. Booted to terms of use screen, then thru to choose which model menu, then reboot.

Upon reboot, screen shows "mesa card not found in controller" Not exactly that message, but close. Then the controller shuts down.

I popped the top off the control computer and had a look. When the start up fails, the mesa card has it's end 2 leds glowing solid red. No flashing.

I pulled the card and cleaned contacts, and reseated. Retried. No change.

I pulled the DB25 cable, several times, no change.

I swapped card slots. No change.

I'm super pissed, figures this crap always happens to me on the weekend, when their tech support is closed. But the weekend is the only time I get to mess with my toys!

If anyone has any Ideas what I might try... I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem- Brand New pcnc 770-Computer not finding mesa card! WTF?

2 solid red lights is a bad sign, It means the FPGA could not load its configuration from the flash memory chip on board.

The most likely causes for this are:

1. PC 3.3V lower than 3.1V so FPGA never gets out of reset (if this is the case the card will work in a different PC)

2. Failed (leaky) Flash EEPROM memory (this is pretty insidious as bad chips work for a week, a month or a year but slowly forget their programming)

In case 1 the PC or PC power supply must be replaced, in case 2 the 5I25/6I25 must be repaired/replaced

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks PCW_MESA for the response.

Here is a little update for you and whomever might be interested:

Yesterday after posting, I dug around on the I-net and found the 5125 std instruction manual (for want of a better term-perhaps white paper?) anyway, I found the jumper descriptions and what they do. Also I found what the top row of pins designate.

I checked the card to make sure the jumpers were all set correctly-they were.

Then after a failed start up with the error message displayed and the two red lights on, I attempted to measure the 3.3 top pin to ground (directly next to the 3.3 pin).

Here's where it gets interesting... I accidentally slipped with the o scope probe and briefly shorted the 3.3 pin to ground (and by briefly I mean, .05sec, maybe).

Anyway, this caused the computer to restart, the red lights on the mesa card flickered once, went out, and the control booted correctly, Path Pilot loaded, all normal. Machine functioned properly, and I was able to continue assembling/installing all my add on features to the machine,

Couple hours later, I shut the system down, and attempted a restart. Back to failure mode. 2 solid red lights, and back to mesa card not found error. So...Yep, that's right, I did, I opened the system up again and shorted those pins together again. Control computer restarted again and Path Pilot loaded without issue.

I have been starting it like this all day today as I was finishing the build and testing stuff. Each time it has worked without fail.

I honestly have no idea why this works or why it behaves this way, but I think if it works in this fashion then the computer is probably not the problem.

I plan to call Tormach customer support tomorrow morning and let them know about the issue, and see what they want to do about it.

PCW_MESA, I would love to hear your thoughts with this new information, Perhaps there is something that can be fixed?

Anyway, for the record, I am definitely not suggesting people go shorting pins together on their failed cards! It just so happened I did so by mistake and stumbled upon a temporary workaround to my issue. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME_YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY!!

-BK

Downloads
    Uploads

What did you measure at the 3.3V tap?

It still could be a marginal 3.3V power rail on the PC since it sounds like the reset chip on the 5I25 is not releasing reset (if the red LEDs dont blink at all at power up)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never actually got a measurement! I was so A. panicked that I shorted the pins with the probe and the computer shut down, then B. surprised that the controller booted successfully without error thru to Path Pilot, and finally, C. Exited to jump in start exploring path pilot and continue with the assembly of the PCNC 770.

I will take the measurement tomorrow evening after work, and after hearing what Tormach has to say about the whole ordeal.

Will post tomorrow with that info.

-BK

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    I just want to say that it is awesome that the manufacturer provides support on this forum. You guys run a class act and I hope you continue to stick around!

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

PCW_MESA- I made a voltage reading across the 3.3 tap to GND and measured a stable reading of 3.35vdc (this was while the 2 red LEDs were solid).

I spoke with Tormach customer support yesterday and they are sending me a new control computer. They have requested the original one back so they can do their own forensics on it and determine the cause of failure.

Currently, I am still using the short(reset) method to access Path Pilot, and will continue to do so until the new unit shows up.

Overall a little disappointed in the initial experience (seems like in my life whenever I spend more than $1000 on anything, there is ALWAYS something wrong and tech support/warranty is required--Sucks!), however, I couldn't be happier with the support I have received thus far from Tormach in resolving this issue.

tmarks11- I agree, it nice to have manufacturer reps screening these forum pages for issues and their willingness to address/support customers quickly and directly! Huge props to PCW_MESA!

-BK

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mxwrench View Post
    PCW_MESA- I made a voltage reading across the 3.3 tap to GND and measured a stable reading of 3.35vdc (this was while the 2 red LEDs were solid).

I spoke with Tormach customer support yesterday and they are sending me a new control computer. They have requested the original one back so they can do their own forensics on it and determine the cause of failure.

Currently, I am still using the short(reset) method to access Path Pilot, and will continue to do so until the new unit shows up.

Overall a little disappointed in the initial experience (seems like in my life whenever I spend more than $1000 on anything, there is ALWAYS something wrong and tech support/warranty is required--Sucks!), however, I couldn't be happier with the support I have received thus far from Tormach in resolving this issue.

tmarks11- I agree, it nice to have manufacturer reps screening these forum pages for issues and their willingness to address/support customers quickly and directly! Huge props to PCW_MESA!

-BK

Its probably a bad EEPROM on the 5I25

I have an example of one here that behaves similarly
    (it will often fail to load when you power the CPU, but will load if you power up and and immediately power cycle again)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    Its probably a bad EEPROM on the 5I25

I have an example of one here that behaves similarly
    (it will often fail to load when you power the CPU, but will load if you power up and and immediately power cycle again)
    Quite right! Using your example, I am able to boot the controller into Path Pilot successfully by switching on the controller from the panel, wait for it to load to card not found error msg, then very briefly switch the panel switch off and on (.5 sec off delay) and when it comes back up-it boots all the way thru to Path Pilot. This allowed me to put the computer back together and stow it in the machine base as intended. However, new control computer should be arriving today, so I suppose that's moot.

PWC-MESA, thanks again for all your help. Your an asset to this forum!

Cheers!

Brian