Using a Tormach Pathpilot controller for a non Tormach machine. Got it on ebay.

Thread: Using a Tormach Pathpilot controller for a non Tormach machine. Got it on ebay.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using a Tormach Pathpilot controller for a non Tormach machine. Got it on ebay.

Hi Folks,

Just bought a complete 2017 controller supposedly NIB off ebay. I want to use it on a home conversion. Haven't got the box yet but have a couple questions.

Is the Mesa card installed in the controller and it's the db25 plug on the back which would go to the BoB installed in the machine or is that just a PP and the Mesa card and Bob was installed in the machine originally?

I was looking at trying to get the restore DVD and go that route but this came up on Ebay so down the rabbit hole we go.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Using a Tormach Pathpilot controller for a non Tormach machine. Got it on ebay.

It depends on how old the controller is. The Mach 3 controllers did not have a Mesa card. That said, if it was sold as a Path Pilot controller, then the PP/DB25 connection in it is the Mesa card. The Mesa card plugs into a PCI or PCIE slot on the computer mother board.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Using a Tormach Pathpilot controller for a non Tormach machine. Got it on ebay.

Well it should be fun to see what's inside. It's a brand new complete controller PC built March of this year with a current version of Path Pilot. Has the disks and everything according to the pictures. When I get it I'll open it up and see what it's made of. I'm going to use it to CNC a 1919 Leblond 1B horizontal mill. Figured it would make a better machine to put linear rails on than a ZX-45 clone and since I want a VFD driven head I'll build it from scratch. I plan on putting high speed bearings in the original horizontal spindle shaft to mount a grinding wheel so I can surface grind if needed. I didn't get the vertical attachment in the picture and the second one is after I mounted it on wheel to move it around while building it. Got to take it apart and do some cleaning and milling off the dovetails on the X table and Y plate so I can mount the 30 series linear rails. I'm going to start out with using the Knee as is. This thing is built strong and the knee moves very easy. I got the linear rails for the Z also but didn't want to get into a counter balance drive system yet. The driven knee might work out

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using a Tormach Pathpilot controller for a non Tormach machine.  Got it on ebay.-0724171849c-jpg   Using a Tormach Pathpilot controller for a non Tormach machine.  Got it on ebay.-s-l1600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the controller today and fired it up. It has never been plugged in as it went thru the start-up screens and asked me what machine it was for. This was a great find considering I was going to have to get the DVD and buy a mesa controller. Cost me $523 shipped to my door.
    Has a build sticker of 3/28/17 with Pathpilot version 1.9.8