Need Help! PC problem

Thread: PC problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PC problem

I switched on the mill a few days ago and got a bios error - not sure of exact words. Disc failure or disc error maybe. It gave me 3 options. I pressed on the highlighted one- Load optimum default.
    This made no difference.
    I then powered down the PC manually ( held the button in then released) and removed a USB stick which was connected.

I restarted the PC .
    The Tormach Logo appeared, then screen displayed a new error message. which I have taken a photo of and attached.

Can any one please explain what has happened and how can it be fixed . ( PC was purchased with mill from Tormach)

I have contacted Tormach and as yet received no reply.

Many thanks,

John. UK

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC problem-p1010245-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PC problem

Looks like Ubuntu is looking for the hard disk and is not finding it so it is failing. You might need a new drive or you could boot from a DVD for ubuntu and see if you can see the hard disk. You might have lost the boot sector.

Tormach might have a boot DVD that install Ubuntu and their software on a drive.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

As CNCMAN172 wrote, it looks like you have some issue with the hard disc drive, Maybe it is simply corrupt or worse.

I would not go and install a recovery disc yet. Maybe you can boot from a Linux boot CD, to see if you can access your file on the issue Hard disc first, copying them to a stick., back them up and after that try with disc rescue attempts.

Or the best option put fresh hard disc and run the pathpilot CD install onto the new drive and add the old one as example a D: then you might be able to copy over your files from the old one to the new one. I have two drives in my pathpilot controller exactly for this.

I do not know enough about linux to guide you, in my configuration, pathpilot is not automatic starting up, I start up to the ubunto layout and have a more windows environment. Once Ubunto has started I run pathpilot just like a windows application. This way I have access over the entire drives to keep easy backups. There is a thread explaining how to do this some place. I will search it for you if you like.

I found a link with similar issue you have which might help.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=813090

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Looks like Ubuntu is looking for the hard disk and is not finding it so it is failing. You might need a new drive or you could boot from a DVD for ubuntu and see if you can see the hard disk. You might have lost the boot sector.

Tormach might have a boot DVD that install Ubuntu and their software on a drive.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
    I then powered down the PC manually ( held the button in then released) and removed a USB stick which was connected.
    To me it sounds like the PC initially tried booting from the USB stick drive. When you removed the USB stick and rebooted the PC correctly booted from the hard drive. You can try turning the boot from USB option off in the BIOS setup to prevent this from happening in the future. To me it does not sound like you have a computer issue.

Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Many thanks from all that have come back with useful suggestions. I will burn a ubunto DVD as suggested. and try that. Also look at first trying the last post idea.

I like the fact that two hard drives could be installed into the PC and eventually have two working ones so as to have a back up.

If the hard drive is not serviceable and I need to replace it what size is the stock disc and is it SATA or IDE. What about solid state drive would that be more reliable?

I am well out of my depth when comes to PC issues, so your suggestions are much appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe that all recent Tormach supplied controllers are SATA. Mine from about 3 years ago is SATA.

When I gave up on Mach3 I replaced my hard drive (so that I could revert if necessary) with a Samsung 120GB SSD. The SSD is now $85 or so. I then installed PathPilot from the DVD. It boots very quickly and seems to run without issues. No special configuration was required.