Custom pendant for Pathpilot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom pendant for Pathpilot

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Custom pendant for Pathpilot

Again some show and tell... I've had some downtime and decided to begin working on a pendant to speedy up my setups, as this is what kills my productivity. It is still very prototype and taking shape... if you couldn't tell. Its getting there.

Love to hear some thoughts, here are my goals for the next proto:

-Re-locate Start/Feedhold/Stop buttons to the top (I don't like them on the sides)

-Make smaller and easier to wield (30-50% smaller is the goal)
    -Make some of the switches into dials (I think the overrides may be best into a selector switch, and possibly an independent XYZ axis selection rotary)

-Add .0001"/.001" selections for step mode (maybe the others if there is room)
    -Add capability for zeroing axis'
    -Make it awesome (maybe a machined enclosure)

Pete

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Custom pendant for Pathpilot

I have a Vista CNC pendant (P4s or something like that). What I don't like about it is that it does too much stuff.

ok, it does nothing right now because of PP.

What I mean is that having multiple switches that allow it to access dozens of different functions almost makes it like a combination lock. Something simpler with dedicated switches is better. I like your two pendant idea, but expand on that.

Make the pendant on the right have dedicated feed, rpm, max velocity (three knobs) and three buttons (start, stop, feedhold). Separate buttons means it does what you want it to do. OW, maybe pushing feedhold changes the position of the feed override (maybe this isn't a problem).

Since you have the feed/speed/max velocity override on the right hand pendant, do you really have to put it on the left pendant? Maybe replace those buttons with spindle start/stop button. Maybe add toggling the step between 0.010/0.001/0.0001".

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I have a Vista CNC pendant (P4s or something like that). What I don't like about it is that it does too much stuff.

ok, it does nothing right now because of PP.

What I mean is that having multiple switches that allow it to access dozens of different functions almost makes it like a combination lock. Something simpler with dedicated switches is better. I like your two pendant idea, but expand on that.

Make the pendant on the right have dedicated feed, rpm, max velocity (three knobs) and three buttons (start, stop, feedhold). Separate buttons means it does what you want it to do. OW, maybe pushing feedhold changes the position of the feed override (maybe this isn't a problem).

Since you have the feed/speed/max velocity override on the right hand pendant, do you really have to put it on the left pendant? Maybe replace those buttons with spindle start/stop button. Maybe add toggling the step between 0.010/0.001/0.0001".
    Thanks for the input Tim. I like your combination lock analogy, that's exactly what it feels like when things get too crowded. There is definitely merit in keeping it simple. I still go back to the manual mills (laguns, bridgeports, etc) and how inviting the "controls" are. Every knob, dial, or button has a single purpose and is positioned in different areas of the machine, not on a single screen or pendant. It would be fun to recreate some of that stuff. For instance, a pull handle for the Z-axis. And since we have machine absolute position, maybe a button to set a "digital hardstop". I could go on

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Tim,

I've been one of the folks testing the two pendants and here's my take on them. The two boxes serve two different functions. I use the larger box for my setup work (pretty much use every button on there during setups). Everything I need is right there (with the exception of the set zero----- hint, hint, hint - Pete) all in one unit. No going back and forth between two boxes or the keyboard/screen. Then once I'm ready to start running a part, I switch over to the smaller box since all I'm needing then is Start/Feed Hold/Stop and my overrides. Both boxes are plugged into a hub and I've had no issues with conflicts or anything.

All in all, these two boxes are a 1,000% leap ahead of the jog shuttle, mouse, keyboard. It's killin me to have to send the beta test units back today. Thank goodness I'll be at Shot Show for a week and hopefully the pre-production three button control will be in when I return.

Later,
    Awall

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you say that it is plug-and-play with no need to edit any PP files with each new release of PP?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Did you say that it is plug-and-play with no need to edit any PP files with each new release of PP?
    It's a super easy patch that you apply. I updated to 1.9.7 then applied the single file patch. Nothing to edit line by line or anything like that. No harder than doing a normal update.

Downloads
    Uploads

That sounds perfect. Certainly far easier than following all of the manual steps to install the VistaCNC which, in the end, don't work!

Downloads
    Uploads

The simplest way I have found is to where there is no editing, however, there is patching op, but it is straightforward. Takes about a minute, and smoke may be able to comment on ease.

Every time there is an update to PP, it creates and pulls from a new directory. This negates the current version, and each successive version would need the new patch. I also got it to work through the standard "Update" button process that uses a ".TGP" file. But this new method is benign.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Using the normal PP update button with a .tgp file on a USB stick would be by far the most intuitive approach for non-Linux types.

Downloads
    Uploads

Using the normal PP update button with a .tgp file on a USB stick would be by far the most intuitive approach for non-Linux types.
    Yea thats what I was thinking as well initially, but they do put some effort to keep people from making the .tgp files, which steered me this way. Plus I don't want anybody to confuse my projects as theirs. I come in peace.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't worry that people would confuse your addon product with PP! If you make it easy to install then many will purchase your product and perhaps Tormach will choose to distribute it and add support to the standard PP and you can retire rich and famous. Make it hard to install and your widget will be a flop.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't worry that people would confuse your addon product with PP! If you make it easy to install then many will purchase your product and perhaps Tormach will choose to distribute it and add support to the standard PP and you can retire rich and famous. Make it hard to install and your widget will be a flop.
    I need more of your enthusiasm in the shop! It'll make you mad how easy it actually is, and if you ever find the need to "patchpilot", you will see. Ill go into more details when things are polished and tested.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm curious about your installation. Do you need to add an additional user space module as with the Shuttle or just edits to the HAL files?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm curious about your installation. Do you need to add an additional user space module as with the Shuttle or just edits to the HAL files?
    No edits to hals, the projects you've seen are staying in generic-hid, just like plugging in a keyboard or mouse. As we've discussed before, it keeps you out of a lot of tweaks and settings that are probably plaguing development. My goal is to start simple.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

So your pendant looks like a keyboard + mouse to PP and thus no special drivers are required? That sounds like a winner!

Downloads
    Uploads

So your pendant looks like a keyboard + mouse to PP and thus no special drivers are required? That sounds like a winner!
    Exactly!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any progress on this project?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    We're working on it. The small three button is about ready.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...h-forum-2.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    I apologize for the radio silence! Yes there is progress, albeit slower than I want, but it is happening. A lot of changes over the last week or two. The biggest challenge has been finding an enclosure to be exactly what I want. Unfortunately, its not out there. Deciding to go to a custom 6061 machined enclosure (I've got a CNC milling machine right?) has been the biggest change, and probably the biggest relief, now that I can do what I want. You are welcome to see the latest on the design with the attached files. This PDF (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1n...ew?usp=sharing) should be to scale for an 8.5" x 11". If you are ambitious enough; you can print and cut it out with scissors, I do this alot... it will give you a feel of the sizing and ergonomics I am shooting for. I apologize for the lack of details as most of the artwork is done in another format. If you have any questions just ask!

Here are my latest notes:

-The buttons around the MPG are X, Y, Z, COOLANT, STOP, PAUSE, START, ZERO around clockwise
    -The selector switch will have .0001, .001, CONTINUOUS, DYNAMIC
    -The three buttons next to the selector are FEED, RPM, MAXVEL select
    -The navi wheel controls JOG OVERRIDE slider, the center button selects RAPID/FEED speeds, and the outer arrows control directions.
    -The buttons on the side of the navi wheel are Z+ and Z-
    -I may add the JOG OVERRIDE control to the override group, I still want to play with some things.

Thanks,
    Pete

3D model pic....
    Custom pendant for Pathpilot-pastedimage-png

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a little free time to work on the pendant. Here is the start of artwork. I am hoping, if it doesn't cost too much, to put LEDs on all the selection modes. There is still a lot changes to do, but its taking shape. I am machining out the housing this week hopefully.

Pete

Custom pendant for Pathpilot-pendant1-jpg
    Custom pendant for Pathpilot-pendant2-jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast