Screen sleep

Thread: Screen sleep

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Screen sleep

Not sure why but when PP is running and there is no activity the monitor will go to sleep. If I boot into the op system (shift alt) it can stay for hours without issue but if I let it go into PP it will sleep after a while (hour? seems inconsistent)

Now sometimes, and this is more of an issue, when in PP, the controller (not a Tormach control) will blank the screen, I can here the relay in the mill trip (emergency) and the controller locks up. Cannot get the cap or num-lock lights to respond or anything.

I've gone through the bios and every setting I can find and I think I've got all the power management and screen savers turned off but is there anywhere else to look?
    Thanks
    M

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Screen sleep

Strange. My monitor never sleeps (tormach touch screen). I've left it on for days at a time.

Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you sent Tormach a query?

Downloads
    Uploads

Non-Tormach control, so no
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

From the symptoms you are describing it sounds like your controller is "going to sleep" (going into "sleep" status) rather than running continuously. Make sure that you don't have any linux or bios settings that will put your system to sleep after a certain amount of time without any input.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got everything in the bios telling it not to suspend/sleep/power-save etc.
    The linux is a straight PP install so I'm guessing they don't have any sleep / screen-saver active. Since it's semi-sporadic, I'm wondering if it might be a power or cabling issue. (Same machine I ran Mach on for years without issue but you never know)
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

If the system locks up and the relay fires then it's not monitor sleep, its the PC is shutting down. PP doesn't do that in my experience-- if the machine is up, the screen is on, so it sounds like a hardware-specific issue at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's hit & miss on the computer locking up, most times it's just the screen blanking and when you move the mouse it's back on. Other times it seems to trip to lock-up and e-stop. I've got another computer here I use for a converted lathe, going to install PP and swap them to see what it does.
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    ...Other times it seems to trip to lock-up and e-stop.
    This sounds very similar to my problem. Sporadic lock-up that I can't seem to duplicate. My screen never goes off, but the lower portion is locking up even while the machine is running. I lose the USB pendant as well as control of other functions related to the menus, but I have control of the upper portion. I have a genuine Tormach controller so I have an email in with them...I'm planning on spending the weekend running parts and trying to figure out what's going on so I have more info for them on Monday.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...2-tormach.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Losing USB devices is a sign of noise on the USB bus. The USB hardware shuts down ports it decides are "noisy", which can be a problem with long wires out the control arm. I put a powered hub halfway along and that helps quite a bit, although the TIG welder still hangs them up every so often.

That shouldn't freeze the screen though.

Downloads
    Uploads

It must be something electrical / cable related. I've noticed in the past that sometimes where I hit the E-stop for shut-down the monitor would blank for a few seconds, and the odd time I think it would when turning the coolant on/off .
    I've got another monitor here so I think it's time to swap and try
    M