Pathpilot Machine's USB WiFi stops working after extended inactivity and other Issues

Thread: Pathpilot Machine's USB WiFi stops working after extended inactivity and other Issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pathpilot Machine's USB WiFi stops working after extended inactivity and other Issues

As the title suggests, WiFi just stops working if I haven't touched the machine for a while. Hard to say how long exactly, an hour, maybe two. The USB WiFi device still has its light on, but it simply no longer functions. This is most likely a linux issue rather than a pathpilot one, but I'm doing everything with Tormach supplied goods and no modification as of now, so I don't want to start messing around with the OS right away. I did find this, however, for those interested wireless - Wifi stop working after while on Ubuntu 14.04.2 - Ask Ubuntu which seems to describe the same issue.

Unplugging the USB WiFi and replugging it gets it to work again, however, I have to do some acrobatics to get to the thing.

Also, I get no audible confirmation when I change axes on my pendant, whereas I used to on my Mach3 setup.

And lastly, I cannot get Pathpilot to advance in GCode that doesn't have spindle motion. This is only a minor inconvenience when running my companion spindle - I just set the main spindle to 250 RPM - but if I wanted to do something where I specifically wanted the main spindle stationary, is there a way to fix that?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pathpilot Machine's USB WiFi stops working after extended inactivity and other Is

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    As the title suggests, WiFi just stops working if I haven't touched the machine for a while. Hard to say how long exactly, an hour, maybe two. The USB WiFi device still has its light on, but it simply no longer functions. This is most likely a linux issue rather than a pathpilot one, but I'm doing everything with Tormach supplied goods and no modification as of now, so I don't want to start messing around with the OS right away. I did find this, however, for those interested wireless - Wifi stop working after while on Ubuntu 14.04.2 - Ask Ubuntu which seems to describe the same issue.

Unplugging the USB WiFi and replugging it gets it to work again, however, I have to do some acrobatics to get to the thing.

Also, I get no audible confirmation when I change axes on my pendant, whereas I used to on my Mach3 setup.

And lastly, I cannot get Pathpilot to advance in GCode that doesn't have spindle motion. This is only a minor inconvenience when running my companion spindle - I just set the main spindle to 250 RPM - but if I wanted to do something where I specifically wanted the main spindle stationary, is there a way to fix that?
    Sorry for the delay in replying , i dont monitor cnc zone regularly ,
    without knowing the chipset of the USB wifi adapter your using , i'll guess that it is a realtek chipset , and that although not related to Pathpilot directly and as you rightly suggest this is down to the Wifi Driver , unfortunately this problem
    is known , and will be down to a matter of replacing the older driver , however this does not mean that to update the wifi driver , is not without it's difficultys if your not a linux Guru .

it may be possible to update the driver using synaptic package manager , however you do not want to update the operating system , as this will in turn stop Pathpilot from working , so Caution is advised
    an alternative is to try a different wifi card , my preferance is not to use wifi over usb , so i tend use a ethernet wireless point instead , they are a lot more stable
    Sarah

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pathpilot Machine's USB WiFi stops working after extended inactivity and other Is

Reading the thread you've linked to gives me the impression that this is an issue with more recent versions of Ubuntu - PP uses V10.04.4. This may, or may not be the same issue. Judging from the lack of responses I would guess that very few PP users (same Ubuntu version, same WiFi device, same drivers) are experiencing this issue. I don't use this device so I can't comment any further, but from your description it could be caused by a number of factors.
    I've never seen any mention of powerline adapters on this forum but I've been using them successfully for some time. While I don't get Gigabit performance they're perfectly adequate to connect my office with the workshop and watch video. Maybe the power network in the US are too noisy? You're probably not looking for alternatives at this point but it might be an option if you don't manage to maintain a wireless connection.

This is by design - or at least this is standard for PathPilot. I managed to get it working but the beep comes at least a second after the shuttle button is pressed. You get used to it, and I found I react quickly if I don't hear the beep. This delay could be the reason why Tormach decided not to enable it. I personally think its worth having. Maybe someone should ask them for it?

This sounds familiar:
    PathPilot® by Tormach Issues & Feature Request Tracking lists an open bug:
    #1151: Mill - M3: M3 S0 (spindle run with zero speed) results in machine waiting for at-speed indefinitely
    However, the release notes for V1.9.7 mention a similar issue as being solved:
    #1223: Mill - Conversational Serial Number Engraving: Spindle RPM of 0 prevents G1 motion if engraving just a serial number
    I'm still a few versions behind, which version are you using?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using the latest 1.9.7

If I really had to I could run ethernet to the machine, but the wifi is so strong when it's alive that it seems like a waste when I'm only going to be transferring text files.

Thanks for the input. Overall I'm quite happy with it. I didn't enjoy paying 700 dollars for a linux machine, but when I saw they had put an SSD in there and did not seem to be cutting any corners, I felt better about it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncbasher View Post
    Sorry for the delay in replying , i dont monitor cnc zone regularly ,
    without knowing the chipset of the USB wifi adapter your using , i'll guess that it is a realtek chipset , and that although not related to Pathpilot directly and as you rightly suggest this is down to the Wifi Driver , unfortunately this problem
    is known , and will be down to a matter of replacing the older driver , however this does not mean that to update the wifi driver , is not without it's difficultys if your not a linux Guru .

it may be possible to update the driver using synaptic package manager , however you do not want to update the operating system , as this will in turn stop Pathpilot from working , so Caution is advised
    an alternative is to try a different wifi card , my preferance is not to use wifi over usb , so i tend use a ethernet wireless point instead , they are a lot more stable
    Sarah
    Yeah linux updates are a rabbit hole I don't want to get sucked into. I'll deal with it for now and wait for a Tormach supplied fix.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah linux updates are a rabbit hole I don't want to get sucked into. I'll deal with it for now and wait for a Tormach supplied fix.
    You don't even have to use powerline netowrking. You can use a wireless wall plug network repeater which is virtually the same thing as using a wireless card but without it being inside the computer or needing drivers. Most of them have an ethernet port on the bottom, letting you use the ethernet on the system without having to add another piece of hardware that could cause issues with running the mill.

They're dirt cheap.

example: TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender. Wi-Fi Booster - Newegg.com

has an ethernet port on the bottom.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's pretty cool, Advil. I didn't know about those. Cheap solution I suppose, considering my wireless is already strong I see no downside. Thanks for the tip.

Downloads
    Uploads

The latest Path Pilot appears to be running without requiring spindle rotation. Very nice.