FYI: Tormach tested PathPilot Motherboards

Thread: FYI: Tormach tested PathPilot Motherboards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FYI: Tormach tested PathPilot Motherboards

For those that wanted the answer as to what motherboard Tormach has tested and acknowledge to work with PathPilot, I got an official response. TD10369 DIY PathPilot Conversion 0515A

I also wanted to add that Newegg has a great deal on a complete controller for under $189.00 Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

All you need is the Mesa Card and Software from Tormach and you're up and going.

TD10369 DIY PathPilot Conversion 0515A

DIY Computer Conversion to PathPilot™
    Product Identification: DIY PathPilot Kit

Purpose: The purpose of this document is to detail DIY computer conversion to a PathPilot controller.

Background: PathPilot is a dedicated machine controller designed specifically for Tormach machine tools. The
    PathPilot controller is the recommended control solution for Tormach CNC machine tools. This publication
    describes a low-cost solution for converting a computer into a PathPilot controller.

IMPORTANT: Construction of a machine controller is a DIY project that comes with no guarantee of success.
    Tormach will provide no Tech Support beyond this publication. Because the interface card may be installed in a
    used computer or motherboard of unknown origin, the card is at risk of damage and therefore not returnable.
    NOTE: For those unfamiliar with the specifications and assembly of personal computers, this project can
    be an exercise in frustration. If the terminology used in this document is unfamiliar to you, we recommend
    against attempting this conversion and instead purchase the PathPilot Controller (PN 35286).

The PathPilot Controller

A PathPilot controller is made up of three distinct parts:
    • A computer that meets specific requirements (outlined below)
    • The PathPilot™ operating system
    • A hardware interface card

Computer Hardware Requirements

The designated installation computer must meet the following requirements:
    • x86 architecture (32 bit)
    • 2.7 GHz or faster processor
    • 40 GB hard drive space
    • 1 GB ram
    • PCI or PCI-E slot
    • Optical drive
    General Recommendations
    Chipset: Use an Intel® chipset from one of the H41, H61, or H81 families

USB: Starting with the H61 chipset, Intel started adding the USB interface into the monolithic chipset. This
    made USB communication much more susceptible to dropped packets, especially in an electrically noisy
    environment. If the motherboard has an H61 or H81 chipset, locate one with either a dedicated USB controller
    (e.g. Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3) or use a PCI or PCI-E expansion slot and USB expansion card to provide a
    dedicated USB controller for the jog shuttle and keyboard. Boards with USB chip uPD720201 work well.
    Performance: Larger hard drives, more memory, or higher-performance processors are unlikely to have any
    significant impact on performance.

BIOS: BIOS configurations vary widely and many settings can create problems. Resetting to factory defaults
    may be helpful in some situations.

Hardware known to be compliant: The following motherboards are known to work with PathPilot:
    • Intel DG41AN
    • Intel DH61DL
    • Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV
    • Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3

NOTE: All controllers sold by Tormach include Intel Pentium® processors at or above 2.7 GHz.
    Interface Cards
    The hardware interface card generates the step and direction signals used by the machine’s axis drives,
    and are used to read the encoder signals and other real time IO data returning from the machine tool. A
    Mesa interface card (Mesa Electronics) is required for computers running PathPilot operating system to
    communicate with Tormach machine tools.

PathPilot Kits1
    Machine Kit Part Number (PN) Includes
    PCNC 1100 PathPilot Upgrade Kit
    PCI-E Slot: (PN 35459 or PN 35460)
    PCI Slot: (PN 35457 or PN 35458)
    Hardware interface card,
    PathPilot OS install DVD,
    PathPilot manual
    PCNC 770 PathPilot Upgrade Kit
    PCI-E Slot: (PN 35460)
    PCI Slot: (PN 35458)
    Hardware interface card,
    PathPilot OS install DVD,
    PathPilot manual
    1For detailed instructions on upgrade kit installation, please refer to product documentation.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: FYI: Tormach tested PathPilot Motherboards

I'm really glad that they are being open about this. I understand it taking some time, but this is good of them to share! I was sitting on the info for a little while because it was easy to see what motherboard was in my Tormach Controller. So, I ordered a spare to have on hand. I'm glad there are other motherboards that have been found to work well and thanks to them for sharing this info! (and thanks to you for posting it here!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. They went to Linux, a free OP system. Much simpler than Windows also.

Where did you find this doc at Tormach?

So it looks like the Tormach controller has a PCI card with a parallel port for the controller cable and another PCI card with two USB for the mouse and keyboard.

Is the parallel port card the Mesa card you refer to? Is there a part number?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Chris,

The Mesa part numbers are 5I25 for the PCI and 6I25 for the PCI-E.

I just bought he $715 or so Pathpilot controller from Tormach as an upgrade for my 1100. When it boots up wording shoots past .....splash screen identifying

the motherboard as American Megatrends .......Its too fast to read the numbers.

I think I can get to the linux command prompt...

If someone could tell where to go from there so I could actually read the splash screen well, I would post which American Megatrends model of board they used.

Thanks
    Dave Lawrence

Downloads
    Uploads

American Megatrends does make motherboards but in this case I think that's just the BIOS software. Referencing the Tormach document the MB is either an Intel or Gigabyte.

You can open the case and the make/ model will be written on the MB. Or you can probably also find the same info in Linux somewhere, I know you can in Windows.

I ended up buying the upgrade kit with the PathPilot CD, the new manual, and the Mesa PCI card. I think the card is configured for the application, and since the price is close to what you would pay anyway that seemed like the way to go. In spite of Tormach stating that they won't sell you the upgrade unless you bought their controller PC they sold it to me without question.

I built my own controller PC essentially copying the Tormach recipe and it's been working flawlessly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DLawrence View Post
    I think I can get to the linux command prompt... If someone could tell where to go from there....

Hi Dave,

Can you get to a command prompt?

Run this command to get a hardware summary and save as a text file: sudo lshw > hw.txt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone else tried this? I hope to purchase a 440 soon. Just getting started with CNC. I have a lot of computer stuff and familiarity with Linux, which could save me some money that can then be spent on tooling...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

PathPilot is a highly customized version of LinuxCNC and therefore has the same hardware requirements as LinucCNC. The LinuxCNC WIKI has a section on tested motherboards.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the quick response. I found the list of tested motherboards for PP, which is very helpful. I will look in the LinuxCNC section, too. I'm more comfortable with the hardware and less comfortable with the software.

It sounds like I can build a standard PC machine that meets compatibility and minimum specs, insert Mesa card, load PP disk image from the upgrade kit, and off I go? Maybe it's just my pessimism, but it sounds too easy!

Downloads
    Uploads

Going to attempt this tonight I think. I just so happened to have built a HTPC a few years back with one of the approved motherboards. So I picked up a firetv to replace it and the card and software from Tormach.

Downloads
    Uploads

Installation went well. I am using the Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 board, 3.4 ghz i3, and an older 64 gb crucial SSD, 16GB ram (over kill probably but its what was on the board), and the PCIe mesa card from Tormach. Install went smooth and its pretty snappy