Need Help! Video shows as UNKNOWN

Thread: Video shows as UNKNOWN

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Video shows as UNKNOWN

I installed PathPilot and found that the monitor display was cutting off a large portion of the display. I used the SHIFT-ALT to get to the main desktop where under the video settings it is displaying 'UNKNOWN' with a max resolution of 800x600. I have a Nvidia GeForce 8400 video card installed in the computer, it's acting like it doesn't have the correct drivers. Any suggestions on getting past this point?

Bob S

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Video shows as UNKNOWN

Quote Originally Posted by DiverBob View Post
    I installed PathPilot and found that the monitor display was cutting off a large portion of the display. I used the SHIFT-ALT to get to the main desktop where under the video settings it is displaying 'UNKNOWN' with a max resolution of 800x600. I have a Nvidia GeForce 8400 video card installed in the computer, it's acting like it doesn't have the correct drivers. Any suggestions on getting past this point?

Bob S
    I'm guessing the PathPilot image probably doesn't have the Nvidia drivers installed. You could either install Nvidia drivers or use onboard video (if you have it).

I believe this is the correct driver (please double check): NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

You can also try installing the nvidia drivers with apt-get, however, the binaries from Nvidia have worked fine for me in the past on Ubuntu (I have not tested accelerated graphics under Ubuntu 10 specifically though).

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

[Double Post, removing content]

Last edited by wtopace; 10-22-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the information! I'll give them a try this weekend and see how it goes. I checked the VGA cable, no problems with the pins that I could see.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you didn't get the video cable with the monitor, you might want to try a different one anyway. Manufactures sometimes don't connect all the pins if they are not needed for their application.

Terry