Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

View Poll Results: Would a physical FRO knob be better than controlling the FRO slider with a mouse?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a physical knob you could hold on to while watching the tool and part would be better

6 100.00%
  • No, Id rather have to look at the screen instead, make sure the cursor is over the slider, etc

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

(Reposting this from the main Tormach forum because I think its more relevant in this sub-forum)

At work my mills had a physical Feed Rate Override knob that I used all the time when running a program for the first time. Id start the program with the knob at 0 and bring it up slowly till the mill was close to the work, then Id stop it again, check the actual distances to what the XYZ on the screen was , increase the feedrate, etc. Having an actual knob to hold on to that I could turn up and down quickly gave me a lot of confidence. With Path Pilot I have to fumble with a mouse, keep looking at the screen to check that the cursor is over the FRO slider, I dunno, its not even close to being the same thing.

Has anyone come up with a was to incorporate an FRO knob with path pilot yet? Maybe have idea as to how it could be done? Basically the knob would control the slider on the screen.
    Sorta like the one in the picture below

Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100-dk_110-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Helder22; 10-12-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

not sure about what they did with pathpilot but with linuxcnc I use "` through 9" on the keyboard for FRO
    ` = 0%
    9 = 90%
    0 = 100%

Try that it might work for you.

Otherwise, you can try to use adaptive feed control with m52
    you can read a little about it here: http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/...e_feed_control
    you do need to connect the hal pin motion.adaptive-feed to a suitable input.
    I'm not sure if your hardware setup has an analog input, that would be an easy way, otherwise you need to figure out a digital input and how to interface that to your override knob.

Definitely not a plug and play thing but definitely doable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Helder22 View Post
    (Reposting this from the main Tormach forum because I think its more relevant in this sub-forum)

At work my mills had a physical Feed Rate Override knob that I used all the time when running a program for the first time. Id start the program with the knob at 0 and bring it up slowly till the mill was close to the work, then Id stop it again, check the actual distances to what the XYZ on the screen was , increase the feedrate, etc. Having an actual knob to hold on to that I could turn up and down quickly gave me a lot of confidence. With Path Pilot I have to fumble with a mouse, keep looking at the screen to check that the cursor is over the FRO slider, I dunno, its not even close to being the same thing.

Has anyone come up with a was to incorporate an FRO knob with path pilot yet? Maybe have idea as to how it could be done? Basically the knob would control the slider on the screen.
    Sorta like the one in the picture below

Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100-dk_110-jpg
    What wouldn't be all that hard would be to have the tormach shuttle (jog controller) control the feed rate when you are running a program. That way you don't have yet another knob to mess with.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Id rather it not be on the shuttle. I had something similar with the Vista CNC pendant, where you could control the FRO, but it was very slow to go from 100 to 0% you literally had to turn the wheel several times. With an analogue potentiometer style knob, you can go from 100 to 0% in a split second.

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post
    What wouldn't be all that hard would be to have the tormach shuttle (jog controller) control the feed rate when you are running a program. That way you don't have yet another knob to mess with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Would be useful sometimes but it would needs a spring-reset to 100% for things that are feed-critical like T/C tapping.

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw on one of the other Tormach videos some info all the max velocity setting/slider however cannot find the section that he talks about the click/hold option on the slider. Basically if you turn max velocity down to 0 then hit cycle start and click/hold the slider you can move this up and down but you actually do not have to be on the slider anymore as long as you are holding down the mouse button.

He talks about it at 12:42 in the video below. I'll keep searching for where he talks about not having to keep the mouse on the actual slider to control this.

Yes, it's a knob would be nice but this helps out until we can get them to add a control knob....

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That will actually help, thanks! Ill test it when I get to the shop today.

Still want that knob though, lol.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was searching for this today. I know this an old thread, but I was curious if anybody had come up with a physical override knob for Pathpilot/Tormach? Like an out of the box solution? It'd be nice to have all three: feed override, spindle override, max velocity override. If not, I was going to work on something.

Pete

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't heard that anyone has come up with anything yet. If you're thinking of coming up with an out of the box solution, please do. I'm still looking for a solution myself.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's surprising, I was hoping there would be something out there... I miss my gas pedals like on my Okuma lol. I got a good jump on it last night. Atleast, I got pathpilot to take an external input to the override controls. Ill let you know what I come up with.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    I was searching for this today. I know this an old thread, but I was curious if anybody had come up with a physical override knob for Pathpilot/Tormach? Like an out of the box solution? It'd be nice to have all three: feed override, spindle override, max velocity override. If not, I was going to work on something.

Pete
    Sign me up to take one (if the price is right)! I have the Mill Fast one and love it other than the speed controls.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not familiar with the millfast version... does that just emulate you touching the keyboard? Like Up/Down/Left/Right and whatever other hotkeys are available?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    I am not familiar with the millfast version... does that just emulate you touching the keyboard? Like Up/Down/Left/Right and whatever other hotkeys are available?
    I have several of his items. According to the owner, there are issues with the velocity settings. This is something that Tormach will not release the details on how to emulate the sliders.....
    MillFast Products

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a little ambition is all it takes.

Btw... if enough people showed interest I'd consider making a product out of it. It's a lot easier to cheeseburger one together than to make it an actual product lol. Ill keep ya posted on where I am at for the version I am making.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting..... Can you control the jog velocity as well?

I know I would be VERY interested in purchasing a unit or at least throwing you a bone ($$) to share what you are doing so that I could "build" my own. I would love to put a jog speed control on my MillFastProducts joystick. I could then chunk the jog controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awe man, thats the most important one! Yea I have that one going as well but I trimmed the video short. I'll get it all figured out and make it somewhat presentable before I show it off. The first idea is never the best... with me anyways.

Downloads
    Uploads

The sliders move just like knobs if you have a touchscreen....

for a couple hundred bucks, you have the equivalent of knobs AND a way better control interface. Already implemented. Tormach sells the 17" monoprice touchscreen, but the 19" definitely works plug 'n play, and reports are that the 21" does too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post

for a couple hundred bucks, you have the equivalent of knobs AND a way better control interface. Already implemented. Tormach sells the 17" monoprice touchscreen, but the 19" definitely works plug 'n play, and reports are that the 21" does too.
    Agree, however, having to look over to the screen and touch v/s having a pendant in your hand to "adjust and hold" a setting would be much nicer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post

Yea it's probably a lot of just user preference. I have never used Tormach's touchscreen, and what you describe makes a lot of sense. Call me old fashioned, but I do think sometimes a physical knob, button, slider, or wheel feels more natural or ergonomic rather than a touchscreen version. Especially when its hard to have your eyes on the screen.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another couple of alternatives.....

Step

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast