Vista CNC pendant and PP - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vista CNC pendant and PP

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vista CNC pendant and PP

Where does PP store program files etc. As in what folders do I need to copy to a USB before I reinstall PP and it wipes out everything?
    Thanks
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    With the recent flurry of success comments here I decided to try to get my VistaCNC P4S working on PP. I downloaded the latest from Vista CNC (8/23/2016). Things have been updated since I last checked and there are now PP specific instructions. I didn't want to destroy my working control computer so I did everything on another machine setup with the simulation configuration.
    Step 1 says to copy some files to the /home/operator folder. This seemed to work.

Step 2 says to double click Makefile and select Run. Double clicking opens the file in the editor. Doing chmod +x in a terminal window appears to fix that.

I then followed the remaining steps including adding a line in the .ini file. Things start but the P4S seems to do nothing other than display "LinuxCNC". Suggestions?
    I just dug out my p2s to see if it would work at all with the p4s binary - I also got the "LinuxCNC" display and nothing worked. I swapped to the p2s binary and replaced all occurrences of p4s in vc-p4s-pp.hal to p2s and my pendant started working. Maybe there's an issue with the p4s binary? You could try installing the p2s binary - perhaps it would come out of the "LinuxCNC" stage - even if other functions might not work. I don't know how compatible the pendants are, but this might be a way to find out if the binary is at fault.
    Using the p2s binary and the modified hal file I've managed to get the jogging, axis zero (for X, Y and Z), estop and machine on/off working. I thought the feed and speed overrides would also work without PathPilot mods but I was apparently mistaken. It appears that the p4s has individual buttons to goto 0 on X, Y and Z. The p2s doesn't have these but they should be easy to get working - if we can get the pendant to work at all!
    By the way, the pendant seems to have an issue when the units are changed to metric in PathPilot.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

So I tried again (why not)
    Launching PP through the desktop and checking the terminal window while it runs shows an error, checked the linux install instructions and noticed there were more instructions to add on a second page that isn't on the pp instructions so I went and added them to the .ini as well.

Startup goes farther but then stops again, error in the terminal window goes to

postgui_tormach_mill.hal:166: Pin 'axisui.jog.increment' does not exist
    Error something failed running halcmd on 'postgui_tormach_mill.hal'

line 166 is the line added per instructions
    net jog.stepsize axisui.jog.increment => vc-m1.jog.stepsize

if I comment that line out PP will launch but the pendant does nothing at all.

Do I have to remove (comment out) anything from the shuttle in the hal or ini?
    Does it matter where the lines are added to the hal or ini file?
    M

now there is a vc-m1 executable copied into the operator dir and there is a vc-m1-pp.hal file copied into the config/mill... dir

I tried

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    So I tried again (why not)
    Launching PP through the desktop and checking the terminal window while it runs shows an error, checked the linux install instructions and noticed there were more instructions to add on a second page that isn't on the pp instructions so I went and added them to the .ini as well.

Startup goes farther but then stops again, error in the terminal window goes to

postgui_tormach_mill.hal:166: Pin 'axisui.jog.increment' does not exist
    Error something failed running halcmd on 'postgui_tormach_mill.hal'

line 166 is the line added per instructions
    net jog.stepsize axisui.jog.increment => vc-m1.jog.stepsize

if I comment that line out PP will launch but the pendant does nothing at all.

Do I have to remove (comment out) anything from the shuttle in the hal or ini?
    Does it matter where the lines are added to the hal or ini file?
    M

now there is a vc-m1 executable copied into the operator dir and there is a vc-m1-pp.hal file copied into the config/mill... dir

I tried
    The Youtube video from VistaCNC showing a pendant with LinuxCNC shows the him using the Axis GUI. The offending line appears to be to be a leftover from this configuration. Commenting it out will certainly not prevent the pendant operating. The files are only initially copied to the operator directory in order to install them. Have vc-m1 and 99-vistacnc-pendant.rules been copied to the directories described in the instructions?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

The files are copied over into the dir's as per the instructions (the install program copied them properly)
    When I commented that line out of the postgui_tormach_mill.hal file PP will load but the pendant does absolutely nothing at all. The power light is on but that's it.

I'm going to send an email to Vista but since they've not touched anything since last summer I don't think he's too worried about supporting PP.
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Well a couple of weeks have gone by with not even a peep from Vista after I emailed with the PP issues and the supplied driver/install issues.
    I gave a complete listing of the exact issues and errors I was seeing as well as the steps taken trying to work around them.
    Guess I was expecting a "we know it's not working and are looking into it" or "thanks for the email" or something.

I know I purchased the controller to run Mach3 and now I want it to do something different so it's really my problem.

BUT, if you were looking to buy a controller now and went to the website you would think it ran under Path Pilot since there's drivers and everything there.

M

Downloads
    Uploads

I wonder if the re-flash to Linux mode actually worked correctly. I got an error saying that "validation failed" after the flash. Of course their manual shows the same error as what to associate with success. If I plug my VistaCNC P4S in and then do an "ADMIN HALCMD" followed by "SHOW PIN" the pins for the unit don't appear.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine was the same and I also brought that up in my email to Vista (that it said error but matched the instructions)
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

I also have the Machine Power Off Bug... on The Vista CNC P1AS

Update

Change This

# MACHINE
    #net machine-on vc-p1as.machine.on => halui.machine.on
    #net machine-off vc-p1as.machine.off => halui.machine.off
    #net machine-ison halui.machine.is-on => vc-p1as.machine.ison

To This
    # MACHINE
    net machine-on vc-p1as.machine.on => halui.machine.on
    net machine-off vc-p1as.machine.off => halui.machine.off
    net machine-ison halui.machine.is-on => vc-p1as.machine.ison

Works Good.

Last edited by Contract_Pilot; 04-15-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    CNC Machines: Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill W4th Axis | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit W/Tormach BOB PathPilot & SKCD200220 VFD | My Personal Blog www.stevenrhine.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Contract_Pilot View Post
    # MACHINE
    #net machine-on vc-p1as.machine.on => halui.machine.on
    #net machine-off vc-p1as.machine.off => halui.machine.off
    #net machine-ison halui.machine.is-on => vc-p1as.machine.ison

To This
    # MACHINE
    net machine-on vc-p1as.machine.on => halui.machine.on
    net machine-off vc-p1as.machine.off => halui.machine.off
    net machine-ison halui.machine.is-on => vc-p1as.machine.ison

Works Good.
    Does the P1AS need the first 2 lines?
    Step

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the process of upgrading to PP on my 1100 and was expecting to use my Vista P3A pendant with PP until I came across this thread. Have you guys solved the problem, is Vista doing anything useful, or am I back to the shuttle. I can even see the P3A in Vistas' list of none working PP posts. I do have a 4kg lump hammer that would provide a fix.

Regards
    Phil

PS: You guys have been extraordinarily patient over the past 2 1/2 years, I'm impressed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Yeah, I have a Vista Pendant sitting in my drawer too. It was very disappointing that it wouldn’t work with PP. I tried in vain to get it working with the help of Vista, but no joy.
    So I finally got the shuttle instead & the funny thing is I like it better than the Vista Pendant!
    I have a Vista pendant that isnt used, I emailed them and got no response when I converted to pathpilot. I really like the shuttle better, just personal preference.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I too have a Vista pendant stored in a drawer. The Shuttle works fine but with two issues for me: no convenient way to zero an axis for setup and it is definitely not resistant to aluminum chips (my replacement just arrived from Amazon).

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see that the latest download date for the Vista PP (Linux) driver is May 2017. Has anybody tried this revision, it has specific instruction installing to PP.?

Phil

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had mine working for some time....

CNC Machines: Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill W4th Axis | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit W/Tormach BOB PathPilot & SKCD200220 VFD | My Personal Blog www.stevenrhine.com

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Contract_Pilot View Post
    I have had mine working for some time....

Great, thanks for the feedback . More information/background would be useful. For example do all functions work?

Phil

Downloads
    Uploads

The installation notes for the P4S (my unit) say that feed override, spindle override, cycle start, pause, cancel, spindle on/off and eStop don't work. Those seem to be rather important omissions! I don't understand about eStop since that is a hardware button rather than anything software related and actually works without installing any updates so I have limited confidence in anything that they say.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The installation notes for the P4S (my unit) say that feed override, spindle override, cycle start, pause, cancel, spindle on/off and eStop don't work. Those seem to be rather important omissions! I don't understand about eStop since that is a hardware button rather than anything software related and actually works without installing any updates so I have limited confidence in anything that they say.
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess that identifying the none working functions in the installation notes allows them to claim it is a driver for PP. A more honest approach would have been to have identified them up front on the web site, not in a document you read after you have purchased the device.

Vista have told me they have no plans to provide a driver for the P3A (my pendant) so I was considering to buy one of the S models, but not now, not after reading your last post.

Isn't it time that Tormach came up with a purpose built MPG pendant?

Phil

Downloads
    Uploads

Cost is one advantage of the current approach. The z-axis select button for my Tormach shuttle became very flaky and I was able to buy a ShuttleExpress on Amazon for less than Tormach's price and with free shipping. Of course a sealed pendant would have been even better!

That said, I would love a shuttle replacement with axis zero +axis display + sealed +... Didn't PENTEC have something working?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd basically lost interest in following up on this but I still had some video covering some additional features so I just posted a short, last part:

Part 1 can be found here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1970136 (jump to 00:57)
    and part 2 here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1971570

Step

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast