Problem PathPilot and Dropbox - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PathPilot and Dropbox

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot and Dropbox

My understanding is that Dropbox was removed because it occasionally crashed Pathpilot which caused a safety issue with the PCNC440. See Tormach Service Bulletin SB0051 (http://www.tormach.com/uploads/1039/...B_WEB-pdf.html) for more details.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    My understanding is that Dropbox was removed because it occasionally crashed Pathpilot which caused a safety issue with the PCNC440. See Tormach Service Bulletin SB0051 (http://www.tormach.com/uploads/1039/...B_WEB-pdf.html) for more details.
    I read the bulletin - spindle turning on at 10K RPM - not a good thing! Raspberry Pi might be a good way to go for PCNC 440 owners (I have PCNC 1100). I may try the Raspberry Pi method anyway, even though it sounds like installing Dropbox on my PP computer should work just fine. Another advantage to the Raspberry Pi for me is WiFi access. My PP computer is in the Tormach cabinet and doesn't get a good WiFi connection surrounded by so much metal. I could locate the RPi in outside the base on the back of the machine where the WiFi signal is pretty good; then just run an Ethernet cable from RPi to the PP computer.

"You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Downloads
    Uploads

If all that you need is a WiFi to Ethernet connection why not use something like a WES610 (http://www.linksys.com/us/support-pr...00003K7eqAAC)? I use one to get WiFi to my "smart" TV that has only an Ethernet input. The wireless bridge comes in a compact box and is easy to configure. I'm sure that there are dozens of other, similar, units available. Of course if you're just looking for an excuse to play with a Raspberry...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    My apologies for the bad info, I was confusing the two issues. I didn't pay close attention to the service bulletin (aside from skimming over it when it was released) since I run an 1100 and do not have affected drivers like the 440.

As far as syncing content to your controller - I would look into out-of-band / manual transfer methods. Like I mentioned above, I use Subversion (simply because I have had the same server running forever, but I prefer git). You could also use Git or even a standard CIFS / NFS share or even rsync to manually "sync" your files from wherever you generate them.

If you don't want a DIY solution, the simplest method is probably just using Tormach's built-in CIFS share and copying data with Windows drag-and-drop from your CAD/CAM host to the PathPilot host: Direct Document and Software Download | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

I'm not sure what benefit the Pi will bring to the table, but like kstrauss said - If you want to play with the Pi as a semi-local Dropbox/USB interface (I think that was your plan?) then more power to you! To me, it is the equivalent of putting a Linux box next to a Linux box, at the end of the day, you still need to get your gcode into ~operator/gcode/.

Let us know how things turn out.

Downloads
    Uploads

My setup is, perhaps, a little convoluted but it suits my way of working. Perhaps it will give you some ideas:

My CAD/CAM is done on a Win7 machine in my house/office. This machine holds the masters for all drawings and is periodically backed up to a WD Cloud that is in the workshop.

My workshop is in a separate, steel frame, building so reliable WiFi connections are not possible from the house. Last year I ran plastic conduit between the buildings and pulled a Cat6 connection between them. This gives me a gigabit Ethernet link that is 100% reliable. All workshop machines are connected to an Ethernet hub in the shop. An access point in the shop gives WiFi for my cell phone and laptop while I am working.

My workshop also has an old XP machine. I use a remote desktop connection (RDP) to give me access the CAD/CAM machine in the house for trivial changes plus ability to read email, surf the net, etc.

Anytime I make a change I use robocopy (free Microsoft program similar to rsync) to replicate all CAD stuff to my workshop machine and then I robocopy to the Pathpilot gcode share. The sync is done with a small batch file so running it requires only a single mouse click. Robocopy only copies changed files so syncing many gigabytes of CAD stuff only takes a few seconds.

This approach gives me backup copies of everything important onto two machines with different operating systems and stored in separate buildings in case of virus, fire or other disaster.

Downloads
    Uploads

If anyone needs an easy Dropbox alternative - I found that a sandisk connect ($23 amazon) is a great USB stick that connects to wifi so you can wirelessly dump a program to the stick from another computer. Almost like Dropbox. It sure beats running around swapping various USB sticks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    If anyone needs an easy Dropbox alternative - I found that a sandisk connect ($23 amazon) is a great USB stick that connects to wifi so you can wirelessly dump a program to the stick from another computer. Almost like Dropbox. It sure beats running around swapping various USB sticks
    Is this the one that you are using?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Wirel...n%3A1259716011

It looks like it only has WiFi capability so long as it is not plugged into a USB port and then when it is plugged into a PathPilot USB port it only functions as a USB flash drive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PathPilot and Dropbox

Yes I discovered this tonight. Not a big deal as I just plug it into a iPhone USB wall wart then go inside and upload files to the stick. Then come back to the lathe and pop it in the USB port.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why is this easier/better than using a cheap normal USB memory stick?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PathPilot and Dropbox

It's not better but I can leave the stick in the garage and upload to it. My problem was forgetting where I left it or late at night not wanting to run into the garage to grab the USB stick. I still use Dropbox on my pathpilot controller - this idea is for my lathe w Siemens control and only a USB slot no wifi.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Yes I discovered this tonight. Not a big deal as I just plug it into a iPhone USB wall wart then go inside and upload files to the stick. Then come back to the lathe and pop it in the USB port.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12