I've posted on here about my problems before about my torchmate, I think its a torchmate 2 or 3, my highschool bought it over the internet before I was hired but I am the one who has to make it work. I will bring you up to speed on things....since I can't find my old post.
I was having problems with the machine diving into the material with my height control unit, then when I gave up with the auto height unit, I had problems with cuts not being completed and the consumables would wear out after 5 minutes. Hypertherm replaced the torch on warranty saying it was stuck in prearc mode. Well new torch and again same old problems. The machine does not cut properly, misses cuts all the time, the height control does not react fast enough and does not work at all for the most part, I spend more time fighting, restarting programs after jumping back to lines that I can produce parts faster with my cutting torch.
The table was bought for its supposed ease of use and setup, well I have been trying to get this thing working for 4 months now, I have made more calls than I can count on all my students fingers to the tech support and still no working table. There is no way I can even begin to imagine trying to teach students to use this because of all the fighting and farting around I have had to do to make simple cuts.
I am really truly sick of it, I don't know whats wrong, I am getting tired of Torchmate blaming Hypertherm and viceversa, someone needs to figure this out. I have personally become fed up with it and have also been asked by another school district if I recommend this machine over Plasmacam, which I have used before and I had much better service and ease of use with that product over this one. Does anyone have any insight. I will now list the specifications of what I am doing and using:
Plasma table: small shop model
Auto height control: Blue screen
Plasma cutter hypertherm Powermax600
Torch: Brand new RT60M upgrade torch
Material being cut: 16 gauge sheet
Cutting Speed: 60 ipm
Voltage on height control: 150
Settings on Plasma machine: 40 amps, 70 PSI
Before you mention it I am well aware that torchmate has not tested the height control with my model of machine, unfortunately it was the machine the school bought before I came along and didn't tell me they were told not to use it, otherwise I would have returned it for a 1000 but when I found out about that it was too late. I did however get it working in the sense that if I lift the metal up the torch is adjusted up, I just think its not working well enough.
I just want the thing to work, no hassles, when I want it. And it won't do that, it will work fine some times and glitch all the time the next. This thing is just simply too temper mental to use in the school and I am finding its a collasal waste of time and money.