Need Help! Torch contacts workpiece

Thread: Torch contacts workpiece

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torch contacts workpiece

New to the Forum and CNC Plasma cutting. We finished assembling our Torchmate and Powermax 65 cutter two weeks ago. My limited experience makes me more qualified than anyone, so I am the one working with it. I am impressed with the machine and the learning curve is not as steep as I expected.

I am having an issue with the torch hitting the workpiece after piercing and knocking it from the magnetic breakaway. Misaligned....not completely off. I measured the cut and pierce heights with feeler gauges and adjusted the controller settings to compensate. It will run through fine if the cut is off. I did the speed and voltage tests. The best speed always comes out 20 - 30 ipm slower than the Hypertherm cut charts(1/4" mild steel 65). Voltage is close. Increasing the voltage seems to solve the problem. For example, increasing to 160 from the tested 130 enabled me to cut a number of pieces at the end of the day. The next morning however, the torch was again hitting the workpiece despite the same settings as the previous afternoon. I didn't try increasing the voltage again

I suspect the issue is the AVHC compensating for something. The troubleshooting section says the torch will dive into the workpiece if the voltage is too low which explains why increasing the voltage helps. Doesn't explain why it was OK one day, but not the next. An Ohmmeter shows continuity between the groundclamp and the workpiece. I didn't try a jumper ground from the clamp to the workpiece. . Perhaps I am trying to work with a damaged electrode?? It appears OK, but then, I have no experience to know for sure. Will change and try next time at work.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions in the meantime. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torch contacts workpiece

I have the powermax 105 and with all the other problems we have atm that is a issue we are having also cuts fine one day and the next its like we have never used it before

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got a 2x2 last year with the Hypertherm 65. My learning experience was that the ground is paramount. The machine settings and performance should be very very stable so it would seem that the ground is the most likely issue. The ground should always be on the workpiece and not on the water table slats or other pieces. That's one thing I found to be variable. Also I set the AVHC numbers pretty high (around 120 on the controller) until I could get some stability. I also found I was using the 65 amp shield (the longer tapered tip) while trying to use the "fine cut" 45 amp internal tip hardware. This worked using the 120 AVHC controller number. I was able to cut 1/8" with high success rate. This thin stuff warps quickly too. Later I found out that I was using the wrong tip for fine cut. I just changed last week to the correct 45 amp fine cut tip and the AVHC distance at 120 was WOW too high. I ended up at about 107 for the AVHC controller height. Now I'm having to adjust my cut speed. I ran a speed line test and found a great deal of difference since I'm using the different shield. I would expect on 1/8" around 100 ipm to cut great but the speed slows (obviously) when corners and turns are made. Also I sometimes put my finger on the AVHC while it's cutting to actually feel how much it is changing. I think everyone experiences the same as you are in the beginning. Also I have my 2x2 complete outfit for sale. Its on craigs list in norther wv. thanks. You'll know when things are right when you can cut thin stainless!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can also "feel" the pierce height combined with the pierce delay by putting your finger on the front of the AVHC unit slides. I was able to get a better mental picture of the correlation between pierce height, pierce delay, and AVHC. Not being an expert I understand that the AVHC takes over only after the pierce delay has expired. Usually about .5 sec. for me. Based on that I was able to feel large movements either up or down when the AVHC took over. Also on the controller display screen the current voltage is continuously displayed during the cutting process. It seems that your number for "set point" and current voltage will be somewhat close during the cut when things are set about right.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For me, I use 100A consumables for 1/4" and thicker steel. 1/4" i have the speed at 130 and voltage at 150. The speed and voltage tests were just a starting point when I was figuring everything out and fiddled with settings through trial and error until I found acceptable settings.