Older TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Older TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics

It took me a while to learn the in's and out's of step and direction signals as well as figuring out just how the old Microkinetics OptiStep Plus 8 bit ISA card worked (DOS Based), but I am pleased to say, I did it. I now have Mach3 software controlling my Torchmate I using the Microkinetics SuperDrive Multi-Axis Power Driver. The key was changing where the DM4050 stepper motor driver cards received their 5 volt reference signal. In the next day or so I will add a couple of pictures along with a detailed description of what I changed to make it all work together.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Nutron,

I guess we are the few and the brave that are using the MicroKinetics system.

I would really appreciate learning more about your system.
    The computer I am using is a dinosaur and the card will not operate in the computers. The Optistep system may have been a useful item in it's time but it is very dated.

You are no longer using the Superscribe software? Mach 3 has totally replaced that software?

Thank you and good luck!

Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Tom,

Yes, I have completely eliminated the need for the dedicated OptiStep card as well as that old DOS based SuperScribe software. I am now using a newer PC running Windows XP and Mach3 alone to operate the plasma gantry and cutter. The Parallel port has replaced that antique card that connected the PC to the SuperDrive power supply/motion controller box. This weekend I will get some pictures and a schematic of what I changed posted. I am sure we can't be the only two with these older setups that would like to upgrade without spending a fortune.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you running NEMA 23 or 34 frame motors? I am running 23 motors and they are under sized especially on the X axis. On the X- axis one motor drives both sides of the gantry. Heck to be able to use a master and slave with 23's would be a huge help!

Which superdrive box did you have to buy?.

I look forward to your photos.

I congratulate you on taking the initiative to look for an alternate to the status quo!

Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,

I'm embarrassed to say I do not know which if either NEMA standard motors I have. I bought and built this machine in 1998 and have had no troubles with it at all other than cut quality on certain things due to the way the SuperScribe software handles feed speed.

That being said, if this works, here is a picture of one of my motors. Both axis are the same. Older TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358555065-453080-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a picture of the SuperDrive box I have. Inside it contains two DM4050 motion controllers, a motor power supply and a logic power supply as well as its own breakout board and it's own controller front panel board. Oh, not to mention two solid state relays. Older TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358555272-435346-jpgOlder TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358555323-633369-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Those are 23 frame motors. How are you driving the X-axis?

Did you find the SuperDrive used or did you buy it new?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought the SuperDrive new when I purchased the Torchmate Kit. Inside the S-Drive case are two MicroKinetics DM4050 motion controller cards. One for the X axis & the other for the Y. I'm utilizing them just as that antique OptiStep card once was. They accept standard Step and Direction signals, and so I set up Mach 3 to supply that via the same pins the OptiStep card did.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nutron,

Here are the pictures of my Mighty Drive.

Your Super Drive has a lot more guts I think.
    It really excites me to know that you have deleted Superscribe.

Microkinetics advertises on CNCZone so they are still a player. I have got accustomed to Superscribe and it has worked for 13 years with a hitch. I have had two Uno cards fail and the main board in the Mighty-Drive fail but our table is used weekly if not daily so it's been more than a hobby kit.

I have read a lot about Mach on this forum and CandCNC uses Mach in his system too.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Older TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics-img-20130119-01031-jpg   Older TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics-img-20130119-01034-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

PlasmaGuy,

As I have time today or this eve I will look over the documentation I just downloaded the for Microkinetics hardware you are using and will give u my opinion on what to do. From what I saw at a glance you should have no problems doing what I did and freeing yourself from the antique hardware and software. First thing first though: ***** DO NOT PLUG YOUR 25 pin CABLE INTO YOUR PARALLEL PORT ***** The mighty drive box (same as my SuperDrive box, sends +5 volts out on pin #25 and -5 volts (aka ground) out on pin #23. This is where the OptiStep card gets its power and subsequently will send step, direction, and output signals back to the mighty drive box. Your parallel port has pin numbers 18 - 25 all internally tied to a single ground. If u plug your 25 pin cable from the parallel port to the mighty drive box you will pop a 3 amp fuse inside the mighty drive and nothing will work. So, for now go get you a male to male Db25 pin parallel cable. I found them all day long on eBay for about 10 bucks. Once you have that cable, you will need to physically remove pin # 25 from each end of the cable. I did it by simply wiggling the pin back & forth until it snapped off at its base.

More to come,

Todd

Downloads
    Uploads

Todd,

Thanks a bunch!

Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

Todd
    I am in the process of building a laser co2.40w for engraving. I set it up with microkinetics from a plasma table.
    here are some earlier youtube pics. My problem is I can't figure out how to fire the laser with the software. All my other machines run with Mach and there are plugins that will run my laser with Mach. You are the first person that has had any luck with a change over. But it does not Google well so I been running around in circles. I would appreciate it if you would fire anything you post on the subject to me?
    Thanks
    Jerry Honkanen

Downloads
    Uploads

is that all you have to do to make mighty drive work. Remove pin 25

Downloads
    Uploads

This is what i found and it works for getting spindle output relay to work.
    Setup Mach3 to use output to pin #9 (read setup on spindle noted on Mach3 website)
    Pin #9 on serial port on computer is a output on and off of 5 vdc.
    On Microkinetics Mighty Drive Pin #11 is a input requiring + 5vdc on and off to activate and deactivate solid state relay.
    unplug relay inside mighty drive
    what i did was remove wire from pin#9 on cable ran the wire to solid state relay on positive side.
    for a ground i ran it from shield on plug to negative on relay.
    Now thinking about it I think I could of simply soldered pin#9 wire into pin#11. Not sure.
    You will need a plug that you can take apart to acess these wires

As I have time today or this eve I will look over the documentation I just downloaded the for Microkinetics hardware you are using and will give u my opinion on what to do. From what I saw at a glance you should have no problems doing what I did and freeing yourself from the antique hardware and software. First thing first though: ***** DO NOT PLUG YOUR 25 pin CABLE INTO YOUR PARALLEL PORT ***** The mighty drive box (same as my SuperDrive box, sends +5 volts out on pin #25 and -5 volts (aka ground) out on pin #23. This is where the OptiStep card gets its power and subsequently will send step, direction, and output signals back to the mighty drive box. Your parallel port has pin numbers 18 - 25 all internally tied to a single ground. If u plug your 25 pin cable from the parallel port to the mighty drive box you will pop a 3 amp fuse inside the mighty drive and nothing will work. So, for now go get you a male to male Db25 pin parallel cable. I found them all day long on eBay for about 10 bucks. Once you have that cable, you will need to physically remove pin # 25 from each end of the cable. I did it by simply wiggling the pin back & forth until it snapped off at its base.

More to come,

Todd[/QUOTE]

Last edited by newarkprecision; 04-06-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Update

Downloads
    Uploads

Todd
    I poster you to say thanks for the post. I am not sure but I may need help working this forum this is my third attempt at this. I have my machine sheet metal and paint done and just recieved the laser tube and power supply. More wires. I am a little nervous about changing it to Mach3 but I dont know how to make Microkinetics controll 5v for TTL low and so far I don't think they know how eather. It will fire soon and then I will have to do something!!
    Thanks again
    Jerry Honkanen

Last edited by Jerry Honkanen; 04-08-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: tried to save and it went away

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nutron. I have a vintage Torchmate that I built from a kit in the late 90s. I have made a lot of money with it but have always hated the DOS Superscribe program, the floopy disk, beater computer with the floppy failures, etc. I want to do what you did. Hopefully, I can figure it out from what you have said here. It took me a loooooong time to figure out CorellDraw and the quirks of this machine, so I'm hoping my 10 years experience will make it easier this time. So, Mach3, replace the Mighty Drive with a Superdrive box and get rid of DOS, Superscribe, the card in the computer, the floppy drive, etc. Sounds great. I don't quite understand the part about breaking off the pins on the cable, but I'll go back and read it again and maybe a bulb will go on in the old noggen. If I need some more tips, is there an email where I can contact you? This is my first time here and I'm not sure how things work. Great post by the way.

Downloads
    Uploads

A bump to ask about that solid state relay...

I wired straight across pin 9 to 11, it worked and got my outlet turned on my mighty drive powered microkinetics 5400 mill. Problem is, it's backwards--should be off, but is actually on. I'm wondering if your method by actually changing the polarity on the relay was a better plan? If I can't find a way inside LinuxCNC to reverse the switch output then I'll crack the box open and look at how it's hardwired.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nutron
    I just found this site today. I have the exact same system that you have. It has set idle in the corner for a long time because of the old MSDOS operating system. Like islandman 18, I am having trouble realizing exactly what you did to change the old Torchmate Plasma cutter into a Windows XP and Mach3 system using the superdrive box and the 23M800 stepper motors. Correct me if I am wrong but you installed Mach3 in a computer using windows XP, broke pin #25 off in a parallel port cable plugged everything in and it worked?

Last edited by bboaz; 03-02-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Older TMate conversion to Mach3 utilizing original Microkinetics electronics

This is the exact same setup my boss picked up for a homemade table. So far, I've been less than impressed. In addition to this system, there appears to be a PLC to really muddle things up with tons of cables in a mishmash soup of "this works just fine" mentality. /sigh

To those that are confused, just take a look at the wiring diagrams for the pinouts; they should give you the information that you're looking for. Once I break in to the circuits for this, I'll have a better answer for you, but atm, I'm way behind and won't have an opportunity for several weeks to dig in to this issue. Looking at how things are wired, though, it doesn't seem difficult to fix the issues, it's just figuring out what the issues are.

Additionally, I've steered away from using MultiCAM which I found to create clunky g-code. Instead, I've been using SheetCAM and a custom Post Processor I'm building from the other ones. I've found, if you need the information, that MillMaster seems to operate similarly to Amada or BOSS4/5 which both use Fanuc as a parent language. It'll need to be edited still, but it'll getcha 80% or so.

Cheers!
    ~Evo.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am working on a superdrive microkinetics to mach3 and have run into some trouble... I rewired the parallel port to more of a standard wiring the on off for the plasma cutter works great but I can not get the stepper motors to work ..they just hum and heat up ... I have tried a on board 5v power and USB cable 5v from the computer with no luck ... anyone gotten this to work? If so how?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast