Newbie Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer

Thread: Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer

I have been getting info on a machine for a while now.I really want a 4x4 table but things keep popping up.Had been really leaning towards the plasmaroute turnkey package but looks like I will be stuck in my small shop for even longer than expected.

Im getting jipped at the local waterjet place which is why im eager to move onto my own machine.Im paying atleast $25 each for these shapes. http://i.imgur.com/5tEkb.jpg Im spending no less than $800 every time I place an order with them and the wait is about 10 days before they even cut them out.

While browsing another forum I ran into this new offer from torchmate.

Its really hard to argue with the price of around $5,000.

Torchmate® 2x2™ CNC Prototyping System / Tomahawk® 625 One-Pak®

This is without the torch $3,825 and without the table of course.Im not so worried about it since I know we can fab it here ourselves.
    Torchmate - Plasma Cutters, Consumables, Welding Supplies and Torchmate Accessories

The parts I need cut are 3/8 max and are pretty small.They would fit in the 2x2 table pretty easy which makes this deal even more enticing.

I do have a plasma torch already but I do not know if it would even be compatible with the 2x2 table on its own.Also it has a regular hand torch not a machine torch.

Its the Miller 375 right here: Spectrum® 375 - Plasma - Miller

Now my questions -

-Is anyone else on here running the 2x2 and if you are what do you think about it?
    -Should I just wait and get the plasmaroute?
    -Would height control even matter when only doing these basic shapes on flat steel?
    -Anything else I should know,suggestions,etc please let me know.

Thanks,

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

For anyone else interested in this combo here is something new I learned.

The machine control box requires you to tap into the torches 2 wires that go to the trigger.Knowing that I will prob opt to buy this machine without the torch mentioned since I already have one.Either way I will have to open the machines up so might as well use the torch I have already.If the tomahawk was direct plug and play then I would go with it.Im still doing more research on everything.

This guy has a set of 4 videos showing the assembly in detail.

Vid 1:
    Vid 2:
    Vid 3:
    Vid 4:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 2x2 with a TD cutmaster 52.
    I could purchase a $150 add on board for my cutmaster 52 that allows dirrect plug in for automated control. It was cheaper for me to splice in the on/off torch wires inthe machine and run them to a cable lug I mounted inthe back of the case for automated cnc control. Polarity in not important, it just an on/off relay. Cheap and very easy to do. The hand torch still works just fine when I use it off the cnc table.

I had serious binding issues when I first set up my 2x2 which was causing me to loose correct position and lots of cutting off the toolpath. Torchmate came up with an updated set up guide and with help from their tech suport we got the machine alinged and working properly. I now love this little machine, it works very well.
    Since Torchmate is now owned by Lincoln Electric (it wasnt when I got my unit), Lincoln has this package in it's money matters promotion and you can get a rebate or a freee 2x2 water table from them. The water table is a must if you plan on cutting thin gauge matrerial. I built my own table myself.

Your Miller 375 plasma may be a bit underpowered for me. You want a 40 amp min plasma cutter for automated cutting. Even better if you have more.
    Does this price you got include CAD software?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Torchmate 2x4 table with AVHC and a Hypertherm Powermax45. I use it often for gauge to 1/2"......with an occasional cut on 5/8" and 3/4". Since I use a machine torch...the interface was very simple using the included rear panel connector and the Hypertherm supplied cable. For the AVHC height control...two more wires do have to be connected inside the power supply to monitor DC arc voltage...necessary to accurately control the torch height. Hypertherm plasma is the cutter of choice in industrial applications......and the lower cost Hypertherm units are no exception to that rule. Pay a little more up front....and enjoy the longest consumable life, best cut quality....and reliability that cannot be matched.......and the Hypertherm's are all made in the USA....unlike most of the others. Over time, the Hypertherm systems always prove to be the lower cost plasma through lower cost per part.

pics of parts cut with Powermax45 on Torchmate 2x4. And yes....the holes in all of the cuts were done with the Powermax45....including the 1/2" holes in 1/2" steel....and the .150" holes in the .090" aluminum. Proper programming, a good height control....and of course a good plasma are necessary!

Jim Colt

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer-torchmate-005-jpg   Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer-torchmate-004-jpg   Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer-img_2948-jpg   Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer-img_0507-jpg  

Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer-img_2852-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The price includes "cadlite" which I hear is easy to use.

Im now having second thoughts on this purchase.Its so hard making a decision with so many choices and more than a few dollars involved.I have $7,000 right now to spend.Im thinking if I should just go put it up while I save up for the 4x4 that I originally wanted.Do you guys regret going with the 2x2 as in you outgrew its size too quick?

Downloads
    Uploads

I modified my 2 x 4 machine so I can slide full 4 x 8 sheets under it. With the 2 x 2 you will have to have pieces of steel no more than 2' wide...meaning it has to be sheared or otherwise cut from stock sheet sizes of 4 x 8 or larger.
    The major advantage of the 2 x 2 is the small footprint. It does not cost 1/4 the cost of a 4 x 4, or 1/2 the cost of a 2 x 4......as it still uses the same electronics, motors and software.

If there is a need for a bigger machine and you have the space....then it is best to pay the extra dollars now....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post
    The price includes "cadlite" which I hear is easy to use.

Im now having second thoughts on this purchase.Its so hard making a decision with so many choices and more than a few dollars involved.I have $7,000 right now to spend.Im thinking if I should just go put it up while I save up for the 4x4 that I originally wanted.Do you guys regret going with the 2x2 as in you outgrew its size too quick?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    If there is a need for a bigger machine and you have the space....then it is best to pay the extra dollars now....

Jim
    A bigger machine would be nice to not have to upgrade later.The auto torch height control on bigger machines will save some headache thats for sure.Haven't completely canned the 2x2 idea but I have been calling around for quotes on 4x4's.

Plasmaroute $11,300 w/Thermal Dynamics cutmasters 82,watertable & cpu included
    Burntables $10,000 w/Hypertherm 65,no watertable,not sure if cpu included

Both places aren't too far from me so i will prob make a road trip and check out both.Prices dont include shipping.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey alleykat, are you in the Houston area, thought I read it in a post. I have a burntable you can look at. Hope you know "CAD", and if you do maybe we can work something out, teach me some CAD and we'll cut some of your shapes out. Then you can get a better feel of what route to take, I'm stuck in the drawing phase. I'm in La Porte, PM me with # if you would like to look at it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cowboys1 View Post
    Hey alleykat, are you in the Houston area, thought I read it in a post. I have a burntable you can look at. Hope you know "CAD", and if you do maybe we can work something out, teach me some CAD and we'll cut some of your shapes out. Then you can get a better feel of what route to take, I'm stuck in the drawing phase. I'm in La Porte, PM me with # if you would like to look at it
    I dont know CAD,i have a friend that does that for me.I know hes usually work busy but i'll ask if he has time to spare 1 of these days to help you out.

As for me,I decided to just bite the bullet and get the plasmaroute blaze HD.I'll be putting my deposit down in a week.No matter how much I tried,i couldn't find a bad review about them.Everyone raves about their service and easiness of the machine so that influenced my decision a lot.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torchmate 2x2 w/Lincoln Tomahawk offer

Torchmate 2x2 with AVHC, router, engraver used for about 200 cuts. On craigs list "norther WV" if you're still looking. This unit is completely loaded and about 1/2 the price of new. About 8 months old. This would give you the automatic height control (absolute must for light gauge or stainless), routing and engraving.