Dual stepper drives?

Thread: Dual stepper drives?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dual stepper drives?

Hey All,

I've have a 2002 TM-1 system with 401-A signal generator and v. 1.4 driver software. This is the old pre-USB serial system. It's worked *ok* for me, but the gantry arm is a sloppy. I figure that another stepper motor mounted on the far end of the arm driving it on a second gear rack might be a good way to tighten things up and keep the arm from oscillating. Problem is, I can't find any way to *slave* a duplicate X axis using the old driver software to run a second stepper in parallel. Has anybody figured out a way to do this? Does the 3.0 driver software let you do this? Anybody upgraded their old signal generator/software from 1.4 to 3.0? I'd like to know if the upgrade is worth it. I've got a follow-up email in to Mike at torchmate but am waiting to hear back.

Incidentally, I have Mach 3 software set up and running a CNC lathe/mill via a geckodrive G540. Last night I used it to drive my TM-1 table. Works great once I calibrated the steppers in the software. I noticed that it's trivial to slave axes in Mach 3, so it's dual-drive capable. I may go with a digital AVTHC from candcnc.com to use with this setup. You can't beat it at $599! I'll let you know how it works if I go that route.

Anyway, I may be selling my TM-1 generator/controller/THC (proximity) if the TM upgrade to 3.0 is not the way to go for me.