Techno Davinci upgrade - looking for advice

Thread: Techno Davinci upgrade - looking for advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Techno Davinci upgrade - looking for advice

I got a Davinci a while ago to use for banjo making, especially for pearl inlay. I'm a professional woodworker and self taught machinist, but this is my first cnc experience of any sort - time to learn some new tricks. I was hoping to be able to leave the machine stock, but for intricate curves it just doesn't handle the large code well, doesn't run very smooth, so it's time to upgrade the controller. Speed is not important, just accuracy and cut quality with micro endmills. I'm not experienced with electronics, but ready to learn.

After reading the threads here, I'm thinking to use Mach3 with a Gecko G540, and keep the Techno steppers and power source. I like the way John Carpenter installed the G540 in place of the original board, very tidy.

I'm trying to distinguish between what I'd like and what I need, a tricky balancing act, especially for a newbie. I'd like to save my $$ for the larger machine I will want later if cnc works well for me. But I'll do whatever is needed to make the Davinci useable now.

I'd appreciate any advice and cautions regarding my plan, and welcome alternative approaches.

Thanks,
    Richard

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Techno Davinci upgrade - looking for advice

It sounds like a good plan to me. But if lack of throughput was your major issue, swapping out the drives might not solve it. It might take upgrading the computer, running at a higher kernel speed, and using something besides the parallel port to communicate with your machine. But take it a step at a time...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using an IBM T-30 Thinkpad, P4-M 2.0 GHz, 512mb RAM, would that be considered an adequate machine? Prefer a laptop to desktop w/ keyboard & monitor & mouse.

If the parallel port is too slow, would you recommend going USB or Ehernet? SmoothStepper?

Is the kernal speed a function of the computer itself or a setting on Mach3.

Downloads
    Uploads

The ethernet SmoothStepper is supposed to be the best in terms of throughput. Kernel speed is chosen in the Mach3 settings, but how well a given speed will work depends on your computer and adapter.

Before getting into all that, though, it might be worthwhile to look into what exactly is going on with your existing setup; intricacy by itself shouldn't be an issue, if you're not trying to go too fast. It might be a problem with your laptop, if that's what you're using to run the DaVinci.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I was only feeding 20 ipm, that doesn't very fast to me. Had the same problems with a desktop.

Have a G540 on the way, will be interesting to see how that changes things. Should have more to report in a week or two. Gotta practice my soldering!

One more question - I'm going to put a fan in to cool the Gecko, thinking to salvage one from an old computer tower. If I need 12v for it, does it make sense to try to step down from the big power source or just use an old wall wart?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gecko installed! Runs great!

Ok, I have the G540 hooked up, figured out a few things with Mach3, and I'm up and running. The difference is like night and day! The machine runs quiet and smooth, no problems at all! I didn't install the Gecko inside the gantry support, too tight in there for me, will put it in an outside box.

Anyone out there who has or gets a Davinci - they are a beautifully built and accurate machine, but replace that built in controller for sure!