New to me Techno router - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to me Techno router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to me Techno router

Pplug,
    Thanks for getting back to me -- but you have lost me -- I need a bit of clarity if at all possible.

You advise me to "go with a strait servo option at that point and get full torque despite the speed?".

My question is: What do you recommend for me to purchase in order to get a "strait servo option"?
    Sorry for such a basic question -- but this is my first day on this forum and I don't know a servo from a stepper. But I'm willing to learn.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

here are things you need to consider..

techno sold almost all size of router you can imagine..
    when you read someone retrofit, or talking about one, you have to see its ranging from 8x6 inches up to 60x120 inches..

yours is larger then most desktop they sold..

the mechanical parts are almost never wear out..

if oyu put on too ""small"" motors it still works, but it will be unefficient..

I understand your hesitation, but you need to take some time to see trough this..
    about 600 this gecko can be in your shop, you hook up on exist motors and half our later you can run the router..

but you have a 4 feet wide gantry.. a nema 23 motor drive it, because it has ballscrew with no friction.. it will be very much on limit..

while using individual drives, if something going awry you can simply replace one drive to a larger..

youre new for this, but many folks made it from same situation than you....

I just try to encourage you, get some insight before you go out to spending your money..

between servo and stepper the price difference 1.5-2 times generally..
    however you can get good deal on servo.. and it wont be so much more..

Downloads
    Uploads

heres a set... could work..
    but again, you need to take time to understand..

AC SERVO CONTROL SYSTEM MOTOR & DRIVER 3 KITS 400W 1.27N.m 60ST M01330 Tamagawa ENCODER 2500CPR 3000RPM-in AC Motor from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

you also could try contact automation technologies, and they make an offer you for a proper control.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great find 3D. It all depends on how you want to approach things. I had already purchased new steppers, drives and a break out board. You could in theory use the existing steppers as I actually still have on or my original axis being powered by the original stepper.
    Cheapest route to get up and running is this:
    Your existing box has a power supply in it that will power the BOB, and the stepper drivers. Get in that box and figure out what you need to get the higher dc voltage out of it, plus the 5 volts. I can help you with this if you have the same box.
    Buy stepper drivers that can drive the existing steppers. pull one of the stepper covers off and you will be able to see the stepper specs. Make sure to "look ahead" and purchase drivers that can power newer steppers if and when you need them.
    Buy a break out board (BOB). This will be your connection to the computer. I think I went with a C11 board, but that doesn't mean anything. There are other boards much cheaper that will do the job. C10 I believe would fit the bill as well.
    Find and older computer and reformat it and put windows XP on it. Then purchase a copy of Mach 3 or 4. This is where people seem to get all bunched up about it. Find a software you like and use it. Mach 3 has a demo that is free and can get you up and moving the machine around.

I don't think I would plan on using servos and this machine has ballscrews and it is direct drive to them. Steppers would be a better choice.

I have been able to mill aluminum with my machine with my set up. I will be around but might not be able to jump right on the board, might take me a day. Post up some photos of your machine, control box, etc.
    Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Let me know the stepper motor #s that move the gantry and we might be able to tell you the drive you need for it. I'm almost 100% sure a g540 would take care of all of them plus you would have a charge pump for safety and spindle control when you spring for a vfd and real spindle.

http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Techno Isel that appears to be identical to the pictures in your first post with the exception of what the servo motors look like. Mine had a different style servo motor. On of the motors didn't work and I didn't want to deal with the old DOS based control software, so I stripped all the electronics and started over. Gecko G540 controller and three NEMA 23 steppers. I ended up with 571 oz/in motors that draw 3.5 amps. They're way more powerful than they needed to be. I'm pretty sure some 380 oz/in motors would be fine. I can put easily 100+ pounds of weight (me hanging on it) on the z axis and it still goes up like there isn't even a load on it. Speed rate is set to 240 inches/min because of the length of the ball screws - I have one that was very slightly bent and it will get to swinging around at high RPMs.

My recommendation - get a G540, some NEMA 23 motors, and Mach3.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found the following information on Motor #1

Model Number = E242
    Serial Number = G000396
    Date Code = 0596
    Type = "Void"
    Part Number = 0242-02-008

Do you think this is a stepper motor or a servo? The motor has brushes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you take some photos? There should be more information on them. If you can see brushes then it would probably be servos. Mine were steppers and no brushes could be seen.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

E242 is a servo motor. That's exactly what was on my machine. Also, you'll probably notice that the Z axis has something extra attached to the motor - that's the brake so it doesn't fall when unpowered.

Downloads
    Uploads

do you see some extended looking back.. if so then that's the encoder, and possible servo..
    try to compare with pictures from internet..

even try to type in google

for me came up a couple of..
    on ebay I saw a couple.. just take your time.. youll find one..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

MX270A,

Did you upgrade to Geyko or some other type of mechanical system? I'm interested on your recommendation for my future upgrade. I will be doing something very shorty.

Thanks
    Dale

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dale, I kept the same mechanical stuff that was originally on it. I just replaced the servos with steppers, which means I needed a new controller. I used the Gecko G540. The servo motors were NEMA 23 and the shaft diameter is 1/4", so it was really simple to replace them with steppers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mx -- tell me -- are you happy with your decision?
    At this time I'm thinking about going with Camtronics and having Mr. Dan Mauch build me a servo unit with Gecko G320 servo amps and rewiring my "old" servos and installing a "smooth stepper". It will not be cheap - but what the hell -- you only live once.
    I would really like to hear your opinion of my plans and also get your feedback on how your system is performing. I'm going to make a decision in the next 48 hours.

Thanks
    Dale

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I am happy with the results. The only notable tweak I had to make is related to the Z axis brake. I removed the original brake that attached to the server motor, and while it wasn't going to be hard to attach it to a stepper, it was going to be a bit more challenging to power the brake to release it when I wanted the machine to move. I tried without a brake at all, but found the Z axis was heavy enough to make the assembly fall when the stepper was unpowered. I then added a 30 pound gas spring to hold the Z up. This was a simple solution and worked really well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mx270a View Post
    Yes, I am happy with the results. The only notable tweak I had to make is related to the Z axis brake. I removed the original brake that attached to the server motor, and while it wasn't going to be hard to attach it to a stepper, it was going to be a bit more challenging to power the brake to release it when I wanted the machine to move. I tried without a brake at all, but found the Z axis was heavy enough to make the assembly fall when the stepper was unpowered. I then added a 30 pound gas spring to hold the Z up. This was a simple solution and worked really well.
    That's what I did on a couple of the techno Esel retrofits to Mach3 that I did several years ago but a few customers did not want me to add the gas strut so i came up with an electronic solution. I converted the system using gecko G320X servo amps. That way you can retain the servo motors and the brake. My circuit is inactive when the power is off and when on but the servo motors are not engaged. When the sensor motors are engaged the brake is released. When an axis faults all of the axis fault and the brake is reengaged. .
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    dmauch@ camtronics-cnc.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123