CNC into Middle school classroom

Thread: CNC into Middle school classroom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC into Middle school classroom

Hi, I am 7th grade technology teacher and am looking to try to incorporate some type of CNC into my classroom. Trying to decide what the best and most cost effective method would be between laser cutter or cnc router. Since I most likely won't get too much funding for this I have been looking into buildyourcnc.com scratch built plans kit and electronics kit. I have read some good and some bad on these forums about their machines. So is there a better option kit/plans/ or complete. I am really only looking to cut wood in smaller size right now.
    For now I am trying to find the options that will give the lowest cost possible to present to administration. If I end up getting more support then expected I may start looking into more costly (higher quality) machines but for now I am looking for the best low cost option.
    Basically I am looking for some input from you guys that have a lot more experience with these types of machines as to what you think could be the most beneficial in the classroom. I have worked with several cnc routers and mills and CAD programs through my schooling and would like to be to introduce my students to this technology that will continue to play a larger role in the future.

Thanks for any help or suggestions
    -Matt

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

There are far better options than the Buildyourcnc machines, for about the same money, or even less. Check out CNCRouterParts

If you're on a really tight budget, and want something small, check out the Microcarve machine. You might be better off with 2 small machines like that rather than a large one. microcarve MV3

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you considered a 3D printer?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ger21- is there anything in particular that negatively sticks out regarding BuildyourCNC? I'm just curious.

Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Downloads
    Uploads

They aren't very rigid.
    They have poor resolution due to the direct chain drive.

These two issues really limit their capabilities.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info...

Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have thought about a 3D printer, but I feel 3D modeling may be to much to try to get out of middle school kids. Maybe in the future (far future probably) if I am able to get a cnc router or laser cutter first I may move out to try for a 3D printer.

The more I have been thinking about this I decided to try to go to an outside route and apply for grants from various companies. So my question now would be, what do you think my best complete option under $5000 for a router or laser cutter would be? I say under $5000 because that seems to be the limit for many of the grant options I have seen.

Downloads
    Uploads

Contact ShopBot and see if they offer any discounts for schools.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I contacted a couple differnt compaines to see what they offer most offered around 5-10% discount for schools. Shopbot turned me onto a couple grants for schools they have listed on their page.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Technology Education Teacher here too.

I'm looking to build an CNC machine and use it in the classroom. I too was looking into grants for cnc machines and lasers, its been a tough road and I don't have either machine yet. Haven't looked on here for any grant info yet and having an interesting time with the grant "process".

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The grants definitely are a process. I am just about finishing the writing part of one for a CNC router I am going to try to submit to a couple of locations and see what happens of it. Earlier in the year I submitted a grant through a parent run endowment organization in my district for a CO2 car track and materials and just found out that I was awarded that today so now I am even more excited to try for more. Finding and writing them does take a bit of time with many revisions but for equipment worth several thousands of dollars for a couple hours of work becomes worth it.

I am the only tech teacher in the middle school and we have one in the HS who was fortunate to work out a deal at the end of last year for the maintenance department to buy him a CNC. In exchange he will use the CNC to rebuild the building signs that have been rotting and falling apart. He ended up with a Laguna tools 2x3' cnc which with the little time I have had to work with it am not exactly a fan of yet, but haven't had much time to get over to that building.

I have been talking with the head of the districts technology department (computer tech not tech ed) and seem to be convincing him to get me about 10 computers in my room (about all I really have space for, although I wish I could get enough for the class, up 27 kids) and some sort of CNC. It seems he may be leaning towards a vinyl cutter, which I am helping to sell by saying I could make school/club/sports stickers with. I would be happy with computers and a vinyl cutter then hopefully build up from there to a router and laser cutter.

Anyway what I am trying to get at is try talking to other people in your district, ie. maintenance and technology, as they have much larger budget then the technology education departments and often have some money they would like to spend on new innovations that could make them look good too.

So far my current brand preferences for equipment are as follows

Vinyl cutter - Roland
    CNC router - ShopBot
    Laser cutter - Epilog

Any one have any suggestions or other recommendations on these? especially vinyl cutter as that seems like the most possible option so far.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fanuc Rhino, it is a self contained teaching cnc lathe. They make several sizes too.

Janos

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a USCutter 25" SC series vinyl cutter in my class and it has been great. I don't see why the Roland and other brands cost so many times more. This works just fine. On the first big job we did, the machine paid for itself, and since has many times over. Best $300 ever spent.

We also have a VersaLaser that has been great, but it isn't cheap.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been looking into the US Cutters as well... Specifically the starter kits they have. Where do you purchase your vinyl from sand drag? What activities do you have the students do with the vinyl cutter and have you seen any articles written in like tech directions or some sort of educational publication about using vinyl cutters in the classroom? I have found plenty for CNC or CAD in the classroom but was hoping to find something specifically for Vinyl cutters to back the purchase.
    What did you get funding from for the Laser?

Downloads
    Uploads

The laser was here before I was. Not sure where funding came from. We use the vinyl cutter to do the sponsor logos on the robots we build and to make signage for the lab. I haven't yet done a uniform class-wide vinyl cutting project. I don't have a curriculum module for it. We just use it as needed, a few students at a time. We get the Greenstar calendared vinyl from USCutter. Inkscape is a good free vector graphic software to use. Corel Draw is useful too, but not free.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The school will be buying a Roland vinyl cutter and I received a grant for a shopbot buddy CNC. I am now looking into other grants for laser cutters and 3D printers. Any suggestions on brands/models for either laser cutter or 3d printers that would be durable and easy enough to use to have middle school students interacting with (with assistance from me of course). Trying to look each around $5000.