Motor Choice for Taig Mill?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Choice for Taig Mill?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Motor Choice for Taig Mill?

I have recently upgraded my Taig manual mill to CNC. I noticed that on Taigs web site the CNC mills have this newer looking motor whereas I still have my older Franklin 1/5Hp motor that originally came with the mill some 7 years ago.

My question is, how necessary is it or to what advantage is there in upgrading the motor now that I am doing CNC milling and some engraving?

If there is a significant reason to upgrade, is there a motor that is highly recommended and one that Mach 3 can take full advantage of in terms of controlling spindle speeds?

Thanks all
    John

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the 3/4 HP motor, But I am upgrading to a variable speed and changing the pulleys just to a single timing belt.

I can't stand changing the pulley system and even with the 3/4 Hp, I have stalled the motor

-Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a preferred variable speed motor for the Taig Mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    I have the 3/4 HP motor, But I am upgrading to a variable speed and changing the pulleys just to a single timing belt.

I can't stand changing the pulley system and even with the 3/4 Hp, I have stalled the motor

-Jason
    Jason, did you get a different motor for yours? The standard motor on the CNC Taig is 1/4 hp.

OP the 1/4 HP motor will let you run higher speeds it is a 3450 rpm motor vs 1750.

Downloads
    Uploads

No, I want to do this for my next upgrade but they no longer carry that motor and speed controller at Surplus Center!

Can anyone help me!? I should have done it a year ago

-Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Keep an eye on Craigslist for a free or dirt cheap treadmill. You want to look for Proform and Weslo treadmills with the MC-60 controller inside. Super easy to hack into a variable speed setup for a mill, lathe or other benchtop machine. I've managed to get three free treadmills in the last two months.

After I get some other things done in my workshop I will convert my Taig mill to variable DC power

Mike N

No good deed goes unpunished.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
    Keep an eye on Craigslist for a free or dirt cheap treadmill. You want to look for Proform and Weslo treadmills with the MC-60 controller inside. Super easy to hack into a variable speed setup for a mill, lathe or other benchtop machine. I've managed to get three free treadmills in the last two months.

After I get some other things done in my workshop I will convert my Taig mill to variable DC power
    Twmaster,
    I found a Weslo setup with the desirable MC-60 controller
    any chance you can enlighten me on the ease of use?
    Im going to attempt the retrofit of my Taig mini mill
    I would like to to take advantage of the variable speed. and most of all
    interface it with my Controller board. Im using Mach3 for my software.
    Thanks!
    Sam

Downloads
    Uploads

It's pretty simple. You need a 5K ohm linear potentiometer or you can use the pot on the control panel of the treadmill. If a slide pot I'd replace it or mount it somewhere swarf will not get into it.

Otherwise just connect it like it was in the treadmill. Wires to motor, wires in from AC, three wires to the pot.

The Pot terminals are as follows:

H = high side of the pot.
    W = wiper, the center lead of the pot.
    L = low side of the pot.

If you find the control works backwards from how you expect simply switch the outside two wires of the pot with each other.

You'll also want to put the thing into an enclosure to protect it.

Also remember you will need to turn the pot all the way to zero for the controller to arm. You may also have to turn the controller way up then turn it back down to get good slow speed operation.

Good luck!

If you need more help just post a reply.

Mike N

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

This MC60 diagram may be helpful to what Twmaster is explaining.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motor Choice for Taig Mill?-mc60treadmillcontroller-jpg  
    Dave->..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

On the subject of the MC-60 controller, is there a way to wire the motor (and controller) so it can stop and reverse for tapping operations?

I'm a newb on house-electric.

Thanks

Roy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tread mill motors arnt too heavy for the taig mill?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Motor Choice for Taig Mill?

I hope someone is still reading this thread in 2016? I have only had my Taig CNC Mill for a little over 7 months and found this topic when searching for a variable speed motor. Sure enough, I see cheap Proform and Weslo treadmills on Craigslist. My question is: Do all Proform and Weslo treadmills have the MC-60 controller?
    Thank You,
    Wayne

Downloads
    Uploads

Holy thread resurrection Ratman!

No not all do. The easiest way to determine if there is suitable controller is look for either a round speed knob or a sliding knob. Those almost always will have an MC-60. The other way to determine is if you know the model number. Look that up on a web site that sells treadmill parts. The motor controller should be listed and obvious.

Failing that if you need just a controller send me a PM I have one or two spares around here somewhere I'd be willing to sell. And don't forget these controllers are commonly found on FeeBay. But the best way is to get a super cheap or free treadmill from CL.

Mike N

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Holy thread resurrection Ratman!

No not all do. The easiest way to determine if there is suitable controller is look for either a round speed knob or a sliding knob. Those almost always will have an MC-60. The other way to determine is if you know the model number. Look that up on a web site that sells treadmill parts. The motor controller should be listed and obvious.

Failing that if you need just a controller send me a PM I have one or two spares around here somewhere I'd be willing to sell. And don't forget these controllers are commonly found on FeeBay. But the best way is to get a super cheap or free treadmill from CL.
    Thank you. I will start the search.

Downloads
    Uploads

All, After several years since I have completed my MOD from the Ac motor to the treadmill setup.
    1: I started with all the treadmill parts. controller included. No flywheel. (performance was okay but no torque)
    2: I ditched the Built in controller for a DART controller. Much more power and control (a little more torque but not a bunch)
    This is where I have left my project as its completely useable for me. IF I were to make any changes. I would do 2 things.
    1: Re wire my setup for 220 which should give it more power. right now its 120.
    2: Add a flywheel for added torque.

~S

Downloads
    Uploads

Have fun with this, but be aware that lowering the spindle speed with a variable speed motor doesn't give you nearly as much low-end torque as you get with a fixed-speed motor geared down with pulleys. Yes, it's a little easier to change speeds, but don't be surprised when it bogs down on projects like cutting steel, that used to work before you switched motors.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was hoping that the treadmill motor was higher horsepower and I could still use stepped pulleys with the variable speed offering fine tuning. I guess I won't know for sure until I find a treadmill and give it a try. I hate to do all this just to lose power thou!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GoofOff View Post
    I hope someone is still reading this thread in 2016? I have only had my Taig CNC Mill for a little over 7 months and found this topic when searching for a variable speed motor. Sure enough, I see cheap Proform and Weslo treadmills on Craigslist. My question is: Do all Proform and Weslo treadmills have the MC-60 controller?
    Thank You,
    Wayne
    There are some commercial sewing machine servo motors on eBay (Consew brand?) that are becoming fairly popular. Check out the Yahoo TaigTools group. I think I saw some discussions about it there. Or just google "consew taig mill"

bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adlee Power AM370-H. Comes with a controller, and I'm pretty sure there's a guy on here doing them shipped for less than 700- I'll look though my PM's. Completely controllable from mach3 with a C41 cnc4pc board, and goes to 6000 rpm. I have one on mine and it's awesome.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions.
    IG: @Homebrew_CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of my neighbors threw out their Proform treadmill, so I dragged it home. The controller is a MC1200-12. Just now pulled the motor, and the label reads as follows:

Permanent Magnet DC Motor

2.65 HP 130 VDC 18 Amps 6700 RPM Rotation - CW

Continuous duty: 1.5 HP 95 VDC

I'm guessing the CW rotation is the death knell for this project?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast