Need help updating TAIG Mill with EMC-XYZ-BX controllers to run MACH 3 & 4.. LINUXCNC

Thread: Need help updating TAIG Mill with EMC-XYZ-BX controllers to run MACH 3 & 4.. LINUXCNC

Default Need help updating TAIG Mill with EMC-XYZ-BX controllers to run MACH 3 & 4.. LINUXCNC

I have recently acquired a used TAIG MILL with EMC-XYZ-BX motor controls with the USB-CAMpod running under SuperCamXP. This was developed by a company named super-tec which is not longer in business.

I would like to use MACH3 or LINUXCNC with the Mill and controllers. I'm hoping someone has done this already, Im struggling to figure out how to get MACH3(and 4) or LINUXCNC to recognize the USB-CAMpod controller. I did see some older threads from 2010 but it was missing some details.

Since I'm new to CNC I would rather learn the newer SW tools once, so I have not really invested any time in SupercamXP beside ensuring to motors operate.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help updating TAIG Mill with EMC-XYZ-BX controllers to run MACH 3 & 4.. LINU

Does it have stepper motors or servos? As I recall, Supertech was an attempt to create a controller that avoided the use of G-codes (SuperCAM was the name of the alternative command system), and used servo instead of stepper motors. All the configuration files necessary to make it work were stored on the Supertech site, but that's long gone. The easiest (if not the cheapest) path to a working mill would be to strip off all the Supertech stuff and replace it with a system that's known to work. Taig can supply a controller and motors if necessary, or you can put your own system together if you want. Alternatively, you can keep researching the Supertech system - let us know if you figure it out...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Default Re: Need help updating TAIG Mill with EMC-XYZ-BX controllers to run MACH 3 & 4.. LINU

I failed to mention it has servo motors. Yeah, your point about the config files from the super-tec site is what brought me here. It seemed like a few users had overcome the issue and either gave super-tech their config files and or made them available on that venue. Kind of hoping someone outer may still have the files. I'm wondering if I need to by pass the USB-CAMpod and go back to a Parallel port interface.

I have been looking at replacement motors and controllers. I have seen Gecko systems being used, and some more home brewed stepper motor solutions. If Im replacing that part I would like to stay with something generic or more broadly accepted system and not get boxed into one off solution. hopefully I can get some responses as to what people have had luck with.

Thanks for responding, I will update further as I progress,

Downloads
    Uploads

You can keep the existing servo motors and power them with Gecko 320X drives. https://www.geckodrive.com/g320x-dig...rvo-drive.html You'd have the choice of CNC control system/ gcode interpreter you wanted; Mach3, UCCNC, LinuxCNC, whatever.

Thanks for the info! I will check it out. Any caveats in moving forward with the new controller, like any alignment or calibration issues I need to consider.

I Appreciate the help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Unlike the G540, the G320X drives aren't integrated into a convenient package; you'll need to find a breakout board for yourself and wire it up with an appropriate power supply and enclosure. Alignment shouldn't be an issue; calibration is basically the same as with steppers (make the units correspond to a certain number of encoder counts instead of steps or micro-steps). Servo tuning is a little more complicated than with steppers; here's a guide: https://www.geckodrive.com/support/s...ent-guide.html