Taig ER16 tool change/pull

Thread: Taig ER16 tool change/pull

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Taig ER16 tool change/pull

I don't work for these guys but I bought one of there tools and said I would give them a review. I got a er16 tool holder that would be similar to a Weldon shank tool holder but it has 6 set screws to pin the tool instead of 1. It also has a setscrew inside the tool holder to help set the tool length. I think if I got a few of these holders and preset some tools it could be like a poor mans atc for the Taig mill. The company is called GenSwiss. I think their tool holder will help me with tools pulling out of my er 16 collets, and presetting tool length offsets for many tools.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Taig ER16 tool change/pull

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Should you need any help or questions arise, feel free to ask us.

Scott @ GenSwiss

I just gave them a look see as I have three machines using ER collet spindles. 2 ER16 and 1 ER11. The problem is I do 95% of my initial roughing with a 1/4" square end mill. Both ER16 and ER11 will use that size end mill or larger.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you post pics? I'm thinking the er adapters might be worth a try but I wish pricing was posted.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by theSSshow View Post
    Can you post pics? I'm thinking the er adapters might be worth a try but I wish pricing was posted.

The bore adapters are about $90, the "quick change" ER adapters are about $130, and the micro end mill extensions are about $230 IIRC. They couldn't tell me the dimensions of the quick change adapters so I'm not sure how much Z height you'd lose. The bore adapters come in limited sizes, and it seems hard to justify the price when you can get the 3/4-16 headstock and a few set screw toolholders for the price of one genswiss toolholder.

Quote Originally Posted by printmyplastic View Post
    The bore adapters are about $90, the "quick change" ER adapters are about $130, and the micro end mill extensions are about $230 IIRC. They couldn't tell me the dimensions of the quick change adapters so I'm not sure how much Z height you'd lose. The bore adapters come in limited sizes, and it seems hard to justify the price when you can get the 3/4-16 headstock and a few set screw toolholders for the price of one genswiss toolholder.
    If you are making parts for money... Yes you can do it on a Taig, I did... you can setup a tool table in your control software and swap tools in seconds and press start. You only ever have to touch off once at the beginning of the job. It can save more than their cost in time pretty quickly. For most folks it probably not worth it, but I did see a shop once with a shelf all the way around full of running Taigs with 4th axis to make parts. I bet quick change tooling would save them hours per day.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    If you are making parts for money... Yes you can do it on a Taig, I did... you can setup a tool table in your control software and swap tools in seconds and press start. You only ever have to touch off once at the beginning of the job. It can save more than their cost in time pretty quickly. For most folks it probably not worth it, but I did see a shop once with a shelf all the way around full of running Taigs with 4th axis to make parts. I bet quick change tooling would save them hours per day.
    I have a Taig with ER 32 headstock, and I was considering getting the larger Genswiss toolholders to help make a certain part. But I don't see how you can justify the Genswiss on a Taig when you can just use the original 3/4-16 headstock and screw on tool holders. For the price of two or three Genswiss toolholders you could get the taig microlathe and make your own tool holders for any size tooling trued very well to your mill's headstock for nothing. It's not even like the Genswiss are rated for that low of a run out. Is there any benefit to using the Genswiss over the 3/4-16 holders?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Link to these products to do this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TiFab View Post
    Link to these products to do this?

Part# TAIG-100-00
    Part# TAIG-1132
    Part# TAIG-1221
    Part# TAIG-1045ER

Screw the arbor onto the spindle and use the mill like a lathe, with the tools in the table chuck adapters.