I'm buying a taig mill. Total n00b. What else ?

Thread: I'm buying a taig mill. Total n00b. What else ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I'm buying a taig mill. Total n00b. What else ?

So after years of pondering WTF to do and knowing I want a cnc mill, due to space size and cost I am going with a taig.
    Haven't decided what software/controller to run just yet, but i'll figure it out shortly.
    I do believe it comes with a few collets and a vise. What else would I need?
    My cnc experience is my cnc plasma table and I played with a shapoko3 for a few months of owning it

I'm not going with ball screws due to cost and my work isn't going to be precise. I am planning on doing 99% aluminum work anyway and hopefully taking parts off my cnc plasma to be engraved with a drag knife/pen on the taig.

Some of what I want to start with are super basic like this with tapered holes. Where can I go to read and learn about the super basics like if I wanted to mill the holes then bolt it down so i can mill the outside completely and not have to do any finish work?

I do have a few spare 1/4" end mills. Not sure what size the taig can hold, but just a short list of other things I need. Haimer? Dial Indicator? Parallel bars? That's about the extend of my knowledge right there

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I'm buying a taig mill. Total n00b. What else ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    So after years of pondering WTF to do and knowing I want a cnc mill, due to space size and cost I am going with a taig.

[Good choice!]

Haven't decided what software/controller to run just yet, but i'll figure it out shortly.

[If you're not getting Taig's control system, the consensus choice around here is the G-540 from Geckodrives.]

I do believe it comes with a few collets and a vise. What else would I need?

[It depends what you want to do with it. Most people get the full collet set, a spare belt, a jacobs chuck and arbor, and an edgefinder. The rest is optional.]

My cnc experience is my cnc plasma table and I played with a shapoko3 for a few months of owning it

I'm not going with ball screws due to cost and my work isn't going to be precise. I am planning on doing 99% aluminum work anyway and hopefully taking parts off my cnc plasma to be engraved with a drag knife/pen on the taig.

[A drag knife is usually used for cutting things, not engraving. You might want to get a diamond drag tool instead.]

Some of what I want to start with are super basic like this with tapered holes. Where can I go to read and learn about the super basics like if I wanted to mill the holes then bolt it down so i can mill the outside completely and not have to do any finish work?

[Most instructional materials either deal with manual mills or specific CNC machines. But much of what applies to manual machining also works for CNC. To make those shallow tapers, you'd use a countersink. To bolt things down to the mill bed, a tooling plate comes in handy.]

I do have a few spare 1/4" end mills. Not sure what size the taig can hold, but just a short list of other things I need. Haimer? Dial Indicator? Parallel bars? That's about the extend of my knowledge right there
    The Taig holds tools up to 3/8" diameter. A dial indicator can be handy for getting things lined up straight. Parallels are good for setting things up in a vise, but it's hard to find any small enough for the Taig vise; you might have to make your own.]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]