Problem TAIG CNC - Z axis getting bound

Thread: TAIG CNC - Z axis getting bound

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy TAIG CNC - Z axis getting bound

Currently I have the TAIG CNC machine. Recently it has been getting bound when going up in the positive Z direction. It will go down no problem but when going up, at certain points the motor will make a high pitch noise like it normally does when it hits a Z extreme. At these points if I manually try to crank (with the controller off) it is very hard to move up. This indicates that it is a mechanical problem. I took apart the Z axis and understand that there is a jib inside. I do understand how the jib works, tightening and loosening the top and bottom screws to move the wedge. I have tried with the wedge all the way up (biggest gap) and all the way down, along with in between in small increments. It will go up when the jib is all the way up but if I press down with my hand barely then it gets bound so I am thinking it is something other than the jib? I am not sure which other parts I can adjust or would get stuck. I did follow the directions on youtube of setting the brass insert that is attached to the threaded rod, where I tightened it to the point of where the motor couldn''t move and then backed off a little bit. Has anyone had binding troubles like this?

I am a pretty new member on this forum so I apologize if I missed anything but feel free to ask any questions too.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: TAIG CNC - Z axis getting bound

Did you try loosening the middle screw? That will lock the axis if it's tight. Other problems could include one of the bolts that holds the Z axis assembly to the column working loose and interfering with motion, or the nut on the top of the leadscrew being too loose, so that the leadscrew flops out of position. If you've adjusted the bronze nut that transmits motion from the screw to the axis, you might have got it too tight - try loosening that a bit if none of these other suggestions fixes the problem.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: TAIG CNC - Z axis getting bound

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Did you try loosening the middle screw? That will lock the axis if it's tight. Other problems could include one of the bolts that holds the Z axis assembly to the column working loose and interfering with motion, or the nut on the top of the leadscrew being too loose, so that the leadscrew flops out of position. If you've adjusted the bronze nut that transmits motion from the screw to the axis, you might have got it too tight - try loosening that a bit if none of these other suggestions fixes the problem.
    That seemed to fix it. The small screws were still a little too tight. I loosened up by about 1/8 of a turn or so more and now it can go up and down without any binding. Simple fix but thanks!