Newbie Proper Feeds and Speeds - Steel Turning with Carbide on Taig CNC Mill

Thread: Proper Feeds and Speeds - Steel Turning with Carbide on Taig CNC Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Proper Feeds and Speeds - Steel Turning with Carbide on Taig CNC Mill

Hello Machinists,

I just purchased a Taig about five months ago, and am entirely self taught (using what I could find on the internet). I am cutting small molds out of 6061 aluminum, and have made my own alignment pins out of 1/4" mild steel rod by putting it in the mill collet and fastening a tool post with carbide insert lathe tools to the mill bed so it works like a lathe. Here is a video I found that demonstrates what I'm doing:

I also chamfer the pins after turning them to dimension (using a 45 degree carbide insert tool).

I understand that HSS would be ideal, but Carbide is more convenient as my learning curve is already vertical. Of course, if this is the only way to achieve excellent results, I will do it.

My current settings are definitely not correct, although I made them work for my last pins. My fear is that I have dulled the carbide because of my error.

Current settings:
    RPM: 10,600
    IPM: 12
    DOC: .005 to get it close to size, .002" for the finish.

Here are the Mill specs so you can understand the limitations:

Taig Mill w/Ballscrews
    RPM: 1050 to 10,600 (There are five grooves on the spindle, so I can do the following: 1050, 1650. 2600, 4200, 6700, or 10,600)
    IPM up 100
    1/4 HP Spindle Motor

Could someone help me select the best settings?