Solved Another Taig ball screw conversion !

Thread: Another Taig ball screw conversion !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another Taig ball screw conversion !

Cutting to the quick,
    Acme threads are great for manually operated mills but really have no place for prolonged use in cnc situations.
    And every user should have encountered the boring details by now as to why.
    So!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please! TAIG come out with a ball screw option machine for those who don't have the ability to retro fit a ball screw system themselves.

Now on to my conversion.

I have a larger cnc mill that I was able to use to do the modifications to the Taig mill table and bed parts.
    I looked at 12mm ball screw as a very good match for the Taig mill on all 3 axis. I took a chance with buying a set
    on Ebay from an Asian source delivered for around $100.00 . These are rolled but what do you expect for $100.00 ?
    They were tight and very well made. Only upon making the final modifications did I discover that the screw itself was not hardened.
    The nut and ball bearings were. I was fortunate that I had a metal treating shop nearby that could harden and straighten the screw shaft.
    However I had to rework them a little bit more to achieve a final straight screw that I could accept.
    I had to take the nuts apart in order to grind down the nut flange for the final fit. These ball screw nuts are the new internal recirculating type which made it a little more difficult to reassemble.
    I wanted to keep the same pillow block set up used on the mill so I had to re machine those to accept a slightly larger metric thrust bearing that would
    fit the new 12mm ball screw shaft.

On to some pics
    Modified pillow block accepting larger diameter 12mm bearing.
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0101-jpgAnother Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0103-jpgAnother Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0105-jpg

"Y" axis bed showing grove in bed bottom for ball nut clearance.
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0095-jpg

Ball nut mounted on backside of "Y" saddle . Note nut flange is ground down to allow almost seamless fit.
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0100-jpgAnother Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0099-jpg

"X" axis ball nut mounting area on saddle
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0098-jpg

Ball screw relief machined on the bottom and dovetail sides of table.
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0097-jpgAnother Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0096-jpg

Here are some pics showing the assembled ball screw on the "Z" axis.
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0002-jpgAnother Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0004-jpg

Bottom of "X" axis ball screw attached to the "Y" saddle along with some newly installed oil feed lines.
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0005-jpg

One shot oiler and manifold with added feed lines.
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0007-jpgAnother Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0008-jpgAnother Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0006-jpg
    Another Taig  ball screw conversion !-img_0010-jpg

What I would do differently is invest in a 12mm ground ball screw system rather then spend the time
    modifying the import. I would still have to modify the ball nut though.

Wow I'm glad that's over!

The system holds it's tolerance very well and has been running for almost a year now.
    Good luck to everyone who want to attempt the conversion!
    If anyone is interested in a new acme screw and nut set for 12" "x" table let me know.