Should I buy a Taig mill? What servos do you suggest?

Thread: Should I buy a Taig mill? What servos do you suggest?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Should I buy a Taig mill? What servos do you suggest?

I'm seriously considering buying a Taig 2019 model CNC mill but wanted to know what everyone else thought of its capabilities. The only similar sized mill I've used before was a Sherline CNC (v1) and was not impressed with it. The table size was tiny, it was as floppy as a noodle, and the steppers were always missing steps due to low torque. Do people encounter the same issue with the Taigs? I'd mostly be using it for cutting plastics like nylon and delrin and doing some light cutting in aluminum. Is there a recommended size stepper to use for these? I was thinking NEMA 23 motors with ~270oz/in of torque but thought I might go a little bigger on the Z.

If I do pull the trigger on one of these this is the building I'm considering:
    Taig 2019CRER computer ready
    Gecko G540 Controller
    3x NEMA 23 270oz/in steppers
    SmoothStepper Ethernet control board

and will probably control it with Mach3 although I'm also considering LinuxCNC as I'm not a big Mach3 fan.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Should I buy a Taig mill? What servos do you suggest?

The Taig mills are heavy built units and when used properly work quite well. There is ....."0"..... comparison between Sherline and Taig. You just cant compare fleas and elephants.

That being said... we tell our customers heads up.... they are not and were not ever intended to be used like a Haas VF3. The Taig machines will eat your listed materials like butter and leave you a great finish when programmed & set up correctly. I think you would be happy with the machine. I would suggest using the Taig controller over the gecko stuff...but that's just me. We have a lot of folks using the gecko parts and doing fine. I am just not a fan.

Hope this can help. Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. The two machines looked pretty different but its hard to tell with just pictures. I don't think I'd ever use the machine like a Haas anything but also want to be realistic about what it is capable of. If it can push an end mill through aluminum at a reasonable rate then it should fit my needs just fine. I've seen a lot of people cutting aluminum with them on youtube and the results always look terrible but I'm pretty certain they don't know what they're doing.

I ordered a 2019CR mill today with an extra belt. Still haven't decided on what controller, I've never used the Gecko's before but the G540 seems to be everywhere and well supported which is why I've been considering it. I couldn't find any info on the Taig controller which is making me kind of shy away from it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MT_Pockets View Post
    Thanks for the info. The two machines looked pretty different but its hard to tell with just pictures. I don't think I'd ever use the machine like a Haas anything but also want to be realistic about what it is capable of. If it can push an end mill through aluminum at a reasonable rate then it should fit my needs just fine. I've seen a lot of people cutting aluminum with them on youtube and the results always look terrible but I'm pretty certain they don't know what they're doing.

I ordered a 2019CR mill today with an extra belt. Still haven't decided on what controller, I've never used the Gecko's before but the G540 seems to be everywhere and well supported which is why I've been considering it. I couldn't find any info on the Taig controller which is making me kind of shy away from it.
    With the correct combination of tool speed, linear speed and material, the machines will put a really nice finish on Aluminum, Brass, Steel, about any material that the tool will cut. You can cut any material you want with the proper settings and get a nice finish. We do a lot of Aluminum and brass and just a pass or two with a scrubbie and the finish is perfectly satin. You'll like the unit. Dan