Benchtop CNC enclosure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benchtop CNC enclosure

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Benchtop CNC enclosure

Here's my enclosure I made for my Taig CNC machine. It's modular so it could work for any benchtop mill/lathe. I absolutely love 80/20 extruded aluminum. Sure, it's costs more than wood, but nothing is permanent about it. For example, if I want to add a side door, or change the front doors to bi-fold, or add shelves, attachments, etc. it's no problem. It's future proof. I designed the LED's to be hidden from your eyes and fire at a 45 degree angle. Since they go fully across the top and down the sides, the lighting is easy on the eyes, no harsh shadows, and as you can see, they light up the machine workspace nicely. For the middle section, I chose an overkill 3"x1" material on purpose so that if I ever want to add flood coolant, there's a whole extra free T-slot row to use as we please for a catch tray or anything. I also used this to take advantage of the 2" vertical rails to mount the mill on which can be adjusted to accommodate different machine footprints. For fun sometime down the line, I may even add ball bearing rollers so I can slide the Taig forward or back on the rails I envisioned this 2 years ago and finally got it designed and built. I'm stoked!

If anyone is interested, I made a deal with 80/20 to offer the enclosure kits for us at a lower cost than the materials would be alone, plus all of the parts cut to size by them, including the panels with corner notches, and shipped to you directly. I was really impressed with their packaging for shipping. They went the extra mile to protect all of it. The aluminum cutting they did was clean and perfect length. Assembly goes together fast. If requested, I can make an owner's manual for assembly.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Benchtop CNC enclosure

That's a very nice and clean setup

Wanna be
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is absolute beautiful! Very nice job. I would be interrested in how well it contains coolant if you ever use it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Makes mine look like a half assed attempt.

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like a real professional job; congratulations! How much would it be for a kit to make one, including plans and pre-cut parts? Would everything necessary to build it be included, or would there be other parts that needed to be sourced separately?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

That's definitely one of the best constructed and well thought out enclosures I've seen! Brilliant job!

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Kenny what type of mill is that - Your enclosure is very nice also -

Downloads
    Uploads

Optimum BF20L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the kind comments. Andrew, I'll get the pricing info and details for you shortly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow. That is beautiful. I would be very interested in doing this for my Zenbot 2424. Awaiting pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Awaiting price myself - that is a absolute beautiful job by Katana man and Kenny Duval

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am definetly interested in pricing on this

Downloads
    Uploads

I gotta ask. Looks fantastic, BTW. What percentage of the machines cost did the enclosure cost? Curiosity only.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I spent about 3k on the machine total. Less than $500 on the enclosure. Lexan was the most costly portion of the enclosure.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ask because I did an enclosure for a little larger machine for about $200.00. Not nearly as nice looking as yours, but certainly beefy enough. I would also have to add the stand cost to mine, which would probably bring it all up over $1500.00 Right about the same percentage mark as yours.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Update: I'm still working with 80/20 for continued reduced pricing to pass on to anyone who's interested. Later, I can put up a small web site showing the details on the bill of materials, more pictures, assembly manual, etc. For now, I can provide a ballpark info. Basically, purchasing the materials on Amazon was the same cost that 80/20 provided me, but 80/20 cut everything to length, tapped threads, cut the acrylic and HDPE panels, notched the panels. So going through my contact at 80/20 was an easy choice as they did a perfect job on machining, and packaging was top notch. The assembly went together very quickly.

I've attached my original research on bill of materials (slightly outdated). This was pricing inside that spreadsheet was for the materials on Amazon without shipping. With shipping, an Amazon purchase brought me somewhere around $1550.

Going through 80/20, my total cost with shipping was $1,582.89. Material weight was 146 lbs. They shipped some by pallet to my residential home, and some by UPS. All of it was packaged really nice. They even made a custom wood frame for the plastic panels.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm interested in purchasing one of these enclosure. How do I tell my 80/20 rep in the USA to look up the details of the enclosure. Thanks !

jason
    jasonpainter5459@hotmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello. Your enclosure is a work of art! Did you work with 8020.net or 8020.com ? I sent an email to the .net place but haven't received a reply. I want them to make an enclosure like yours, top part only.

Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like it. Will coolant drip from doors onto the floor when opened? or do you have something for that Im not seeing. Much better than not having anything. Thanks for the material info.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello. I got a reply back from 8020. They won't sell directly to people. You need to go thru a distributor. Can you please tell me who you went thru for your custom kit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast