Benchtop CNC enclosure - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Benchtop CNC enclosure

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Benchtop CNC enclosure

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I am very interested in purchasing the kit for the enclosure made by the original poster. Katana Man, please check your PM inbox as I just sent you a message with a few questions. Really would like to know if these are still available and from where and who. Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can download this benchtop CNC enclosure here. It's the entire enclosure assembly (Solidworks files).

The Amazon bill of materials can be found on post #16.
    Alternatively, you can purchase the entire CNC enclosure (Part#FL21-061614), ready to assemble, all cut to size, from Dan Fanolla from F and L Industrial Solutions. Last quote he gave me was $1,380.

Red face Re: Benchtop CNC enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Katana Man View Post
    You can download this benchtop CNC enclosure here. It's the entire enclosure assembly (Solidworks files).

The Amazon bill of materials can be found on post #16.
    Alternatively, you can purchase the entire CNC enclosure (Part#FL21-061614), ready to assemble, all cut to size, from Dan Fanolla from F and L Industrial Solutions. Last quote he gave me was $1,380.
    This is Pat Ryan from F&L Industrial Solutions. We now offer this to CNCZone members at a discounted price of $1291.96 plus shipping. Just shoot me an email at Patrick@fandl8020.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just an update. I'm pretty set on picking up one of these kits after have a few words with PatRyan. Just pending more details regarding the lighting from Katana Man.

This enclosure is undoubtedly one of the nicest I've seen for a Taig, especially considering it is shop built. I have no doubt, not being a carpenter or fabricator, how difficult this could be.

However, I just think it is over-priced some what, and maybe, just maybe, a little overkill for me. I'm thinking I would like to invest around $700 - $900 on a nice enclosure. I guess that depends on how much money you have available to invest in your shop/tools/equipment, but still you'd have probably at least $1500 - $2000 or so in this enclosure before your done. I certainly have more money now, as compared to when I bought my Taig 12 years ago, but I guess having to be super conservative for most of my life has me feeling this way about this enclosure. For that kind of money I'm getting close to my target price for an 10hp air compressor.

I've always suspected that commercial products rarely, if ever, translate well into the hobby arena, and I believe this is a good example. 8020 products are nice (I have used them for projects), but are priced pretty high, I'm thinking because they are mostly aiming toward the commercial market, where using the products may save money. In my day job we sell and service fabricated equipment and I'm familiar with how products can become very costly just because it is attached to a commercial device. For instance, a gas strut that say would hold your hood up on your vehicle is an off-the-shelf item that rarely is actually manufactured for that particular use, and is priced accordingly. However, when the supplier sells it to us to use on our product, it's higher priced than what we would pay at a local auto parts store for the same (exact) item. Without getting too deep into this, I don't need to be educated on why this is, it's been explained to me for as many years as I've been crying "foul" about it. In reality it's more like the infamous case where Microsoft got sued for the pricing on some of their "commercial" software, that was in reality, the same software essentially that cost far, far less to the PC manufacturer and even to the public.

Anyway, I would like to see a much lighter weight, thinner walled product for an enclosure build that would cost considerably less. Anyone know of any products like that? When I Google searched fairly hard last year, I didn't see anything available. 8020 products and the like are a lot alike in several ways, including pricing (I did find more expensive products to be sure).

However, it sure is a nice cabinet isn't it!?

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Livings View Post
    This enclosure is undoubtedly one of the nicest I've seen for a Taig, especially considering it is shop built. I have no doubt, not being a carpenter or fabricator, how difficult this could be.

However, I just think it is over-priced some what, and maybe, just maybe, a little overkill for me. I'm thinking I would like to invest around $700 - $900 on a nice enclosure. I guess that depends on how much money you have available to invest in your shop/tools/equipment, but still you'd have probably at least $1500 - $2000 or so in this enclosure before your done. I certainly have more money now, as compared to when I bought my Taig 12 years ago, but I guess having to be super conservative for most of my life has me feeling this way about this enclosure. For that kind of money I'm getting close to my target price for an 10hp air compressor.

I've always suspected that commercial products rarely, if ever, translate well into the hobby arena, and I believe this is a good example. 8020 products are nice (I have used them for projects), but are priced pretty high, I'm thinking because they are mostly aiming toward the commercial market, where using the products may save money. In my day job we sell and service fabricated equipment and I'm familiar with how products can become very costly just because it is attached to a commercial device. For instance, a gas strut that say would hold your hood up on your vehicle is an off-the-shelf item that rarely is actually manufactured for that particular use, and is priced accordingly. However, when the supplier sells it to us to use on our product, it's higher priced than what we would pay at a local auto parts store for the same (exact) item. Without getting too deep into this, I don't need to be educated on why this is, it's been explained to me for as many years as I've been crying "foul" about it. In reality it's more like the infamous case where Microsoft got sued for the pricing on some of their "commercial" software, that was in reality, the same software essentially that cost far, far less to the PC manufacturer and even to the public.

Anyway, I would like to see a much lighter weight, thinner walled product for an enclosure build that would cost considerably less. Anyone know of any products like that? When I Google searched fairly hard last year, I didn't see anything available. 8020 products and the like are a lot alike in several ways, including pricing (I did find more expensive products to be sure).

However, it sure is a nice cabinet isn't it!?

Lynn
    Lynn, I totally get your resistance to investing serious money into a quality enclosure, but let me give you 5 reasons to consider investing in a t-slot aluminum enclosure:

1. You can carry the parts through a normal doorway, and build it with standard tools - no welding, painting, etc. required.
    2. Anodized aluminum not only looks great, but it does not corrode over time like painted steel, or change shape like wood.
    3. T-slots themselves allow you to easily customize and add on to your enclosure in the future using inexpensive t-nuts.
    4. The strength and rigidity of a well-designed/built structure (fasteners and location are important) will add precision to your setup that you may need in the future.
    5. In the future, you can easily enlarge your enclosure by adding matching components, or disassemble it and build something completely new like a workbench, kayak rack, or stairs down to your man cave!

To create an enclosure at 1/2 the price (the price is about $1400 plus shipping), you will have to give up a few of these things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I agree. The 80/20 material is so nice to work with and completely changeable. In the future, on the left side, I plan on adding a vertical sliding tool wall. When I'm done, I can push it back out of the way. It should only widen the enclosure by 6 inches or so, but it will help with storage and organization. I also plan to use put the Taig on sliding rails with a locking lever. This will allow me to slide the Taig to the front of the enclosure to make it even easier to work on. If I had made this out of wood, it would have been impractical to make changes.

I use 80/20 for our RC Chassis Dynos too:

For the lighting, I used these:
    LEDZ.BIZ - 40" Aluminum Corner V-Shape Channel Profile with Diffuser - $24.99 (do not select the cold rigid 5630 checkmark)
    and these:
    LEDZ.BIZ - 100CM Rigid LED Strip SMD 5630 Natural White - $9.99 <--- best LED strips on the market. Pure white (5000K). Not blue or yellow. I use them for everything. Garage lighting, workbench lighting, photography, task lighting, and videography.

You can use a small 12V power supply. For the enclosure, I think I used a small Mean Well 12V 5amp power supply, although 2 amps would have been enough.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop CNC enclosure-_mg_6326-jpg   Benchtop CNC enclosure-img_4539m-jpg   Benchtop CNC enclosure-img_4531m-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Just an FYI, you mention that the extrusions will not corrode. Thats not completely accurate. It certainly can and pretty easily with different coolants especially when machining steels at some point. The zinc coated T-nuts and errant chips can certainly sit and start corrosion. Because of the joints, cracks nooks and crannies, I personally do not think it is the best material for an enclosure.
    I will say it may be perfect for this size machine, but I would not want to use one on a production machine.
    My enclosure is made from treated 2x2 and 2 x 4's. It's not going anywhere.
    It is lined with smooth white fiberglass panels. Nice and easy to rinse out with the wash down pump.
    Maybe $200 in materials and a few hours time.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone here have any interest in designing me an enclosure similar to the design of the one posted by the original poster? Would prefer someone who is experienced with the 80/20 product line and would know how to design something that's rigid and durable to hold my Taig mill. I'm wanting something very very similar in design but without all of the exposed hardware and mounting plates if possible. I don't mind paying a few to someone who could design me an enclosure just as long as its not over the $60 range (sorry if what I'm looking to pay someone seems a bit on the cheap side).

Downloads
    Uploads

Lee Way, can you post pictures of your enclosure? (or a link to pics if you already have?)

Thanks!

NS

NavyShooter...Death from a bar...One shot, one tequilla!
    B096 Mill (RF-31) SB 10K lathe, still deciding on the CNC Mill...please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Truggys_Suck View Post
    Anyone here have any interest in designing me an enclosure similar to the design of the one posted by the original poster? Would prefer someone who is experienced with the 80/20 product line and would know how to design something that's rigid and durable to hold my Taig mill. I'm wanting something very very similar in design but without all of the exposed hardware and mounting plates if possible. I don't mind paying a few to someone who could design me an enclosure just as long as its not over the $60 range (sorry if what I'm looking to pay someone seems a bit on the cheap side).

80/20 is not cheap. I believe each door on the original poster's enclosure is over $60... I haven't read through the entire thread, but I would guess that enclosure is in the $400-$700 ball park. I made my enclosure out of 2x4s & corrugated plastic for $75. While it isnt the prettiest thing, it keeps the aluminum chips off of my garage floor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you still selling these enclose kits? How much for materials? and what is included? any lighting for frame, walls only? Hoping you are still around and providign this! Its amazing what you created !!! email me, chris@thetechnicaltraders.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, did you ever make an assembly manual? I am very interested in making a setup like this for our R&D lab.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123