Need Help! Trying to figure out a layout for T Slots on my 4x8 DIY

Thread: Trying to figure out a layout for T Slots on my 4x8 DIY

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Trying to figure out a layout for T Slots on my 4x8 DIY

I recently purchased a used DIY (Machine Tool Camp) cnc router and I'm waiting on our building to be finished so we can take delivery of our router and in the meantime I want to figure out a better material hold down system.

Currently the table has a 6"x6" grid of holes that is used with wedges & pegs to hold down the material (not very well but I guess it kind of works ) my plan is to use a combination of holes with cam lock hold downs & t - slot but I'm not sure how close I should put the T-Slots or do I even need to use the cammed hold downs? I just thought they would come in handy when I need to level the entire top of the work piece.

This is a link to the hold downs I was thinking of using

Please let me know what you are using or if this should be in a different location on this site

Thank you
    Gary

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Gary-Wiant; 06-28-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Typo

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Trying to figure out a layout for T Slots on my 4x8 DIY

This looks like an interesting clamp/cam system, not sure how well it will hold down a work piece though. I have a 4 x 4 table and I use T-Slot and Clamps from INCRA. I think it comes down to what wood piece shapes you expect to use on your table. I do a lot of 3/4" thick boards and the width of the boards vary from 8" to 12" so I laid out the slots to work with all the potential sizes of wood I plan to use on the table. Mine looks similar to this one;

My slots are not evenly spaced, I spaced them at different lengths so I can fit different sizes of wood. Also, the clamps allow for me to use a 3/4" MDF spoiler board under the work pc for through cuts. I can send you actual pictures if you have further interest.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes please send me any photos & information your willing to share. My work email is gary.vgu@atlanticbbn.net and my phone email is vgu7446@gmail.com either will work but I have my phone on me all the time.

Thanks
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Trying to figure out a layout for T Slots on my 4x8 DIY-35534121931_0cc20fa24e_o-jpgTrying to figure out a layout for T Slots on my 4x8 DIY-34823380094_5aab274e1c_o-jpgTrying to figure out a layout for T Slots on my 4x8 DIY-35664474465_21d4cfe5d6_o-jpg

Here’s what I use. The spacing between the tracks is different for each rail which allows me to clamp all different sizes of wood. I use a small wood block under each clamp to prevent denting the table top. This configuration has worked well for me for the last few years.

Downloads
    Uploads

Horses for courses, but I've just converted my machine the other way around - from a t-slot metal deck to a fixture hole style. I find the t-slots, whilst they make it flexible, make one hell of a lot more work for me in getting things all lined up; whereas the alternating dowel & thread hole pattern lets me make up clamping sub-plates, drop them on the deck and know everything's aligned once I've set them up the first time.

Downloads
    Uploads

The vast majority of my cutting involves taking a larger pc of wood and cutting smaller objects out of that wood. For this type of work, the T-slots work great and the origin (0,0) isnt all that important for me. I have done some work that requires repeatability and in those cases, I can see how the fixture hole scheme could work very well. Bottom line is it comes down to what you plan to use the table for and design the best system it fit those needs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hence the "horses for courses" comment. I'm starting to do a lot more double or multi sided work and 4th axis stuff and I was getting frustrated by the time burnt getting things all lined up and dialled in every time, so the registration dowels are a godsend.

I'll admit that the t-slots were handy for just throwing a bit of stock in there with an inch or so of border allowing for it not being quite square, zero-ing a corner and going at it. And I suspect at least a couple of the T-slot decking planks that used to form the bed will end up with dowels in them so that I can go back to that arrangement when it suits.

I was just tickled at the variety of approaches and work on this forum that, just as I was changing one way, someone else was looking into doing the exact opposite

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont know what "horses for courses" means! I can definitely understand why you would use registered dowels if you are doing 2 side and multi side work. I do have some repetitive work, from time to time, and I have made registered jigs to suit that work. I have also considered putting registered dowels into the top of my table for precision, repetitive, 2 sided work. I havent move forward with it since 95% of the stuff I do doesnt require registered jigs.

I truly love seeing all the different ways people do things on this forum. I learn more than I give to this forum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Horses for courses - Idioms by The Free Dictionary

Applies to tooling as well as people

Downloads
    Uploads

Until I figure out the pattern / location for my t-slot tracks & dog holes can I just purchase a T-slot bit & cut / route the t-bar slots in my spoil board?

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends on the clamping forces, you may well just pull chunks out of the 'throat' of the t-slots. Still, it might work. Also save the t-slot bit, flip the spoil board, cut the wide channel then go deeper with the thin channel, flip it back and you have your t-slots.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh makes sense, like I said I'm green at this router stuff, but I know & I am prepared for 3 things.

1. I'm going to do jobs the hard way until I can figure this out.

2. I'm going to make some junk out of material for a bit.

3. I'm going to break my share of bits.

What I'm concerned with the most is pricing this correctly. I've read a few threads on a few forums but no one gives real numbers, I know I font want to talk prices on an open forum & I've PM'd a few guys on a Sign forum but no replies yet. If anyone is willing to give me any advice I would appreciate it

Thanks