Epoxy resin to strengthen the gantry - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epoxy resin to strengthen the gantry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Epoxy resin to strengthen the gantry

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    I think that some of the confusion about what people are using epoxy / sand mixes for is that they aren't using it fill the cavities in aluminum extrusions. It's the opposite. They are using epoxy / sand mixes to create a machine base around an aluminum or steel skeleton. They use this term "epoxy granite".

The purpose of the epoxy granite machine base is vibration dampening and weight. They increase the thickness of the epoxy walls to make up for the reduced strength compared to aluminum or cast iron etc.

Anyway, the key point is that aluminum is the filling, not the thing being filled with this design. A lot of the structural strength still comes from the metal.

Sand is added because it's a lot cheaper than epoxy. It would cost a fortune if pure epoxy was used for such a large structure.
    So just fill the cavities with sand? Or I saw elsewhere use a 6% epoxy to sand mix?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
    So just fill the cavities with sand? Or I saw elsewhere use a 6% epoxy to sand mix?

No, you would create an epoxy granite mix machine base around an aluminum skeleton frame. It's not a case of filling the small cavities in the aluminum. The aluminum is the filling. The epoxy would make up the bulk of the machine base.

Just google "epoxy granite machine base" and look at the images. It will make it a lot clearer in terms of how people are using epoxy granite to minimize vibration. For the last project write-up I read, the guy used 80% sand / 20% epoxy. I have no idea if this is optimal but it worked for him. I would expect to need a lot of epoxy to do it right, even on a fairly modest size machine. you'll be buying it by the gallon, not the quart....

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since the EG isn't structural, the mix isn't terribly critical. CNCCookbook: Epoxy Granite Fill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12