New Machine Build Small CNC using 20mm Profiles

Thread: Small CNC using 20mm Profiles

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Small CNC using 20mm Profiles

I'm getting ready to start building my first CNC. The design is almost completed and I was hopping on getting some feedback before I start building it, so I haven't overlooked something important.

The machine is built using 20mm profiles I-Typ T-slot 5mm and EN-AW 5083 aluminium plates.
    The base is made up of 40x60s for sides and 20x40 as crossmembers and lastly 10mm aluminium plates at the ends and top.
    For the gantry the sides is a 20mm aluminium plate and the crossmembers is 20x60 extrusions that have a 5mm plate (under table) and 10mm plate (Y-axis support) holing the extrusions together.
    As for the Y & Z-Axis these are 20mm and 10mm aluminium plates.
    The leadscrews is SFU1605 and the rails is 15mm linear rails, The length of the rails is 700mm for X- & Y-axis and 300mm Z-Axis. Giving me a working area that is about 530(x) x 570(y) x 140(z)mm.

So please leave a comment what you think about this design

And I will upload the CAD files here ones I built the machine and seen that all is working for anyone that wants to build something similar.

The plane is to start assemble all in the coming month so keep eye open for updates.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small CNC using 20mm Profiles-2-jpg   Small CNC using 20mm Profiles-1-jpg   Small CNC using 20mm Profiles-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Small CNC using 20mm Profiles

I have made an similar machine , i use it for aluminium , wood , plastics ...
    Only diference is tha tmy machine is made from aluminium plates all .
    Is working ok for all the work i do .

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Vega2K,
    So you are actually building something like this?
    Small CNC using 20mm Profiles-img_4208-jpg
    You stole my design!
    Just kidding, I have found that Attaching 15mm linear rail on the Y axis to an extrusion is not easy.
    It took me about two weeks (of free-time in the evening) to get it perfect, extruded profiles are anything but flat or straight, linear rails are very sensitive to alignment so beware!

Regards,
    Rob.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Vega2k - did you end up building this machine? Any updates? I'm interested.

-Todd