New Machine Build Cutting steel for less than $2,000?

Thread: Cutting steel for less than $2,000?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting steel for less than $2,000?

Hi. I am about 70% through a personal CNC build. The goal is a machine that cuts steel and has a capacity of 12" x 12" x 12". My question is, is anyone interested in the design? Should I bother sharing what I've done and where should I share it?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting steel for less than $2,000?

Hi, at 70% finished build all you want is some admiration of the design.....it's too late now for advice or criticism on the practicality of the design......perhaps for the record you could post a few pics of the build if you have them and discuss the merits of why you did it that way etc etc.

Just for openers.......12" X 12" X 12"....that's a CNC gantry router configuration.....routers are not generally ideal designs for cutting steel..... the 12" Z axis height makes the proportions of the rest out of wack.......a 12" height under the gantry means with an X and Y area of 12" X 12" your side supports will be a bit "leggy".

If you go to a moving table design you can make the side supports massive to stop deflection, but that still means the Z axis hang down below the beam will be prone to deflection.

For a table area of 12" X 12" you "should" have a Z axis clearance under the crossbeam of 8" approx......just my opinion.

A column milling machine with 12" X and Z axes would be way out of proportion with the Y axis at 12" due to the massive overhang that the head needs to cover this dimension.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I am not looking for admiration. At 70% complete, there's no proof the design works yet. At this point, I am more concerned about public interest. I haven't seen anything close to 12" of Z travel in a small X Y package. It's useful for my line of work (machining castings), but does anybody else care about Z travel?

I have some non-machinist friends who are intrigued and think I should go open source and start collaborating. I am not sure how to start down that path or if it is even worthwhile. Any thoughts?
    - Matthew

Downloads
    Uploads

Also Iain, don't forget that by the time you throw a trunnion 4/5th axis table in there, that 12" of Z will become more like 8" anyway...

Downloads
    Uploads

I am very interested.
    (sceptical, a bit).

Lets see you machine steel for that cost.
    If it works, you have something.

Open-source means showing stuff.

Pics might be a good way to get feedback.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.....sigh....if we at least had an inkling of what it is that is being costed at under $2,000,........ a CNC router or a mill.......then perhaps we could get an idea of the practicality of the build............I assume it's already in the build stage and not 70% finished on the drawing board.

With proportions as stated in post #1, I doubt it is in the build stage yet......pics or it hasn't happened.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Also Iain, don't forget that by the time you throw a trunnion 4/5th axis table in there, that 12" of Z will become more like 8" anyway...
    LOL.......a 4th axis and tailstock on a table 300mm (12") long????....that is something I just have to see.
    Ian.