New Machine Build Richster CNC machine mk II

Thread: Richster CNC machine mk II

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Richster CNC machine mk II

Hi all,

Remember me? I put together a Solsylva wooden framed machine a few years back, post here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...2-cnc-cad.html
    It's more or less as per the plans, but I made a few customisations of my own

I'm looking to embark on a more 'grown-up' machine with much better accuracy/repeatability and speeds, with a view to cutting harder materials (a little aluminium from time to time possibly)

I'm tempted by one of the kits listed in cncconversionkit.com, and given the £/$ exchange rate it probably works out reasonably cost-effective even with shipping/taxes. And the model I'd be looking at is the 21x41x7 shown here:
    The Best Cnc Router Kit for Sale
    However I have a number of concerns about the company including:

• some negative reviews on this site, although these seem to relate more to the steppers, drivers and spindle all of which I would source from elsewhere
    • Some of the aluminium extrusion look a little on the small side to me
    • The bearing mounting method on all three axes (for the leadscrews) looks a little crude, though is possibly okay?
    • No real comments/reviews to speak of of any substance on the seller's site. There are two, which are curiously posted within a few minutes of each other, so not sure what to make of these...

Alternatively, I'd be up for designing/building my own, of course I've seen many designs which are similar to the machine shown above. The issue is I have very limited resources at home, basically just a meaty drill press, and a reasonable array of hand tools including taps etc.

One option I'd though about is getting all the plates laser cut, though the companies I'm looking at only fabricate in up to 15mm Aluminium plate. An alternative would be steel plate - I'm curious as to whty people don't opt for this, is it more a weight issue? I know some individuals have used steel but cut out areas to save weight (for example the machine shown at maxmali.com). I believe it's possible to purchase t-slot in accurately cut lengths.

And finally, I've been trying to understand the pros/cons of linear guides vs linear bearings i.e these
    Richster CNC machine mk II-489245891_318-jpg
    vs these:
    Richster CNC machine mk II-lgh-f-jpg

Also considering a product from cncrouterparts.com - like the smallest 2' x 4' machine. There's limited (but generally good) reviews on that too. One aspect of that machine I'm not clear on his how the bearings are tensioned against the rails? I see how the steppers and pinions are spring-tensioned against the X and Y axes.

Any pointers greatly received!