Modular Steel V-Rails for Linear Motion

Thread: Modular Steel V-Rails for Linear Motion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Modular Steel V-Rails for Linear Motion

Hi all, I'm working on a new concept for linear V-rails using standard v-guide wheels. I've been inspired by recent developments like makerslide and openrail but have been disappointed with the sizes of rail that have come out and their limitations mainly being made from aluminum. For larger applications generating heavier loads I desired something that wouldn't flex, and was a full steel solution.

Folded steel rails (as used by Grunblau in the platform) are a great idea that has been knocked around for quite a few years but not capitalized on.

I just completed a first sample run of tiny rails for a test, compatible with 20mm series extrusion and now I'm doing the design and test run manufacturing for larger bent steel rails. Before I go to the shop with my plans I wanted to get feedback from other builders who build bigger machines. Namely, what is the most popular extrusion size for a 2'x3' machine and up? I'm designing the next profile for the 1530 series from 80/20, but want to know if that is something people are interested in?

Also, if any of you are interested in getting your hands on some preliminary rail product for your builds please let me know in the next week or so before I go back to the shop; this way the price will be better as more people are buying.

Best,

-jp

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Modular Steel V-Rails for Linear Motion

Interesting concept. Rails for the 1.5 series rail can be quite expensive as in my design. What type of material are you planning to use? Material 1/4"?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modular Steel V-Rails for Linear Motion-photo-1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome looking machine!

For the larger series extrusion and wheel (anything 1.5 in or more than 20mm) I am using 3/16" gauge cold rolled 44W structural steel. The key dimension is completely filling the V-Groove of the wheel to give equal support to both sides of the roller under load. I never looked past the 3/16" to 1/4" simply because the 3/16" gets the job done and my analysis, and practice, show that it is mighty stiff for 99.9% of applications. Also the 1/4" starts to get too large once you take into account minimum bend radius, so 3/16" permits a nice compact install.

The "mini" for 20mm extrusions uses 1/8", which again completely fills the v-groove on both faces.

Consider trying it out for your next CNC; I'm using it in a 3D printer build now and I love it. (but i'm biased i guess, i made it )

-jp

Downloads
    Uploads

Won't the powder coat wear or flake off?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gerry,

i forgot to mention about Powder-coating in my original post; the running surface is masked off for powder-coating. Only the black zinc-plating covers the whole piece for corrosion resistance and it is very hard. I haven't seen indications of the zinc plate wearing off yet in any of the installed applications running. Dimensional concerns for the zinc-plate wear are also minimal because the plating itself is less than 0.0005" thick on the piece, and this slop can be adjusted out with the eccentric wheels of V-Wheel systems.

But yes, the powder coat is purely aesthetic. I used to just plain black zinc them, but one of my customers wanted a color on their rails so we powdered them. I think I might just offer them zinc-plated and provide powder coating instructions if people really want that; the price would be better and probably most people don't need the powder coat. The zinc plate is enough to keep them looking nice and not rust.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I see know...found the link to the website. The design for the 1530 rail...going to be a dual flange design?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steeltoes, if you're talking about a single piece dual flange then no. I am working on developing something like that on a custom basis and have done things like that in the past. It presents problems if the bend axes aren't perfectly parallel. You can't adjust the running axes independant of each other, and in long rail setups run the risk of scrapping the whole piece. With a unitary rail setup you can adjust each rail independently of the other to ensure that you get your setup parallel so that you don't have a roller pull off. See the attached photos for two ways to set up a dual-flange Econo-V axis in 1530 with 3/8" V-wheels. Carriage plate isn't drawn to make it easier to see.

cheers

Modular Steel V-Rails for Linear Motion-1530_layout1-jpgModular Steel V-Rails for Linear Motion-1530_layout2-jpg