Aluminum T-Slot Build Using Misumi Extrusion - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aluminum T-Slot Build Using Misumi Extrusion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    Have not scene much activity on this build and wanted to know how it was progressing? Any new and exciting updates? Would you happen to have a couple photos of gantry connection to the base rails?

Have been messing with the Misumi DVD models and configuration tools, very interesting way to go.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Unfortunately, I got to the "tool steel" part of the program about the same time that the weather decided that the upper 90s wasn't hot enough. Since my shop and my garage are one and the same, and both are detached from the house and aren't air conditioned, once the temp inside the shop went over 100 degrees, I put things aside. Hopefully I'll pick this back up here soon.

Aside from the practical issues of heat stroke/heat exhaustion and sweaty hands/fingers not having the best grip or dexterity, a quick review of chemistry also says that working in this environment was sub-optimal.

As most folks are no doubt aware, galvanic corrosion occurs when there is an electrical potential between two materials (typically metals) while in the presence of an electrolytic solution (something that conducts). While sea water is most often cited as an example, human sweat has a remarkable similarity to sea water, and can more than happily fill-in as the required liquid. Throw in good tool steel (aka linear rails) and aluminum (the chassis), and my paranoia kicks in for keeping all sweat away from the machine at this stage of the build. Yes, it's paranoia, but I've also had to replace the aluminum handlebars on my road bike after two years. My sweat dripped down my arms, went through the bar tape, and collected where the steel strap that connects the brake/shifters ("brifters") to the handlebars attaches to the handlebar itself. I'm not excited about introducing any form of corrosion or other mechanical weakening into the system, so call it paranoia tempered with a dash of personal experience. Whether laziness is really the excuse and a desire not to work in the shop when internal temps are over 110 degrees, I'll leave that judgment to the reader.

My hope is that the temperatures will break here in another few weeks so I can comfortably get back to work on this.

In the meantime, Misumi announced a price increase effective for Oct. 1, so those interested in using Misumi products may want to do some investigations on what's changing and whether it affects their decisions.

Last edited by Bear5k; 09-14-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the update.... I can certainly understand temp extremes as our frigid cold is not far away. My issues are getting bigger items to and from the shop in winter with ice and snow limiting access, hate it, hate it, hate it!!! So ready to retire to a moderate place where humans can actually survive year-round!

Will look forward to your updates later.

Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates on this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLHS54 View Post
    Any updates on this?
    Not too much progress recently, I'm afraid. This summer in Houston, we had sustained temperatures over 100 degrees for way too long. Then I had some extended business travel. And then we had twins... I really missed my window to power through this build. However, all hope is not lost!

What I can update: Misumi seems to have made some progress (maybe they read the thread?) on their aluminum extrusion offerings. Some people will be interested in the new lower-cost line of extrusion (EFS series), which should give a lot of places a run for the money in terms of cost.

For me, though, they seem to have finally added a few of the factory machining options I've been wanting, including being able to spec half millimeter hole locations. I've got a running change planned to take advantage of this (as well as putting more funds into the project), but this is going to have to wait until after my daughters are sleeping through the night. Power tools and long-term sleep deprivation don't make a good combo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recomendation for Misumi

Esteemed Bear5k: I read your post with the same interest I would read a good book. Your detailed information and recomendations are noted. I can only hope the weather gets real hot or cold where you live so that you may have additional time to continue writing about your project the way you do.
    I'm also building a 3 axis machine. I have machined the parts, purchased the ballscrews/linear bearings and converted an old paper cutter for the support.
    However, I'm still trying to decide what to do for the tool-holding table which is 381mm x 920.75. I was considering the 8020 extrusions until you recomended the Misumi. I'll look into that. Thank you and give us more!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by EKFER View Post
    Esteemed Bear5k: I read your post with the same interest I would read a good book.
    The sun shone brightly through the window. Outside, the gentle winter sun bathed each verdant shoot of grass with its gentle warmth, encouraging it, nurturing it to strive harder in its quest to to break through the bitter crust of decaying leaves. Inside, harsh light of the monitor clashed with the gentle sunbeams, fighting to control the illumination in the cloistered confines of the Bear's cave. Ignoring the resultant chiaroscuro as the conflict raged around him, the inquisitive Bear5k pondered at his writing task, "I hope he actually likes to read?"

Your detailed information and recomendations are noted. I can only hope the weather gets real hot or cold where you live so that you may have additional time to continue writing about your project the way you do.
    The weather here is, to put it mildly, nearly perfect for project work this time of year. Today was a brisk 38F in the morning, but warmed up to 65F this afternoon. If it weren't for my daughters, I would have little excuse not to be out in the garage. Give me a few more weeks of minimalist progress, and I should be back in the swing of things once the girls break through to the mythical "sleeping through the night" phase of their lives.

I'm also building a 3 axis machine. I have machined the parts, purchased the ballscrews/linear bearings and converted an old paper cutter for the support.
    However, I'm still trying to decide what to do for the tool-holding table which is 381mm x 920.75. I was considering the 8020 extrusions until you recomended the Misumi. I'll look into that. Thank you and give us more!
    For a tool-holding table, I have heard stories of some brands having mixed reviews for flatness/straightness and twist in some extrusions that might be popular candidates for making tables. I have no way to judge such aspersions. Misumi does offer the option for some of its pieces to be "milled flat", which I have used reasonably extensively (e.g., the X-axis support for the linear guides). The milling was at a slight premium over a standard length of extrusion. For the size of table you have, that might not be a prohibitive expense. That being said, if you have someone who can cut a "keyway" into MIC-6 Aluminum Tooling Plate, then that's probably a cheaper and better way to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Selection of cnc bed

Esteemed Bear5k, Not only you are a good machinist/engineer? but also a consummated poet. I researched my options and I opted for selecting the Rockler MultiTrack for my machine bed. The track provides clamping on both sides and has a lower profile with more holding material. Since they are out of stock, Rockler reduced the price to $24.99 per track (3/4x3x36 inches) for preorders.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by EKFER View Post
    Esteemed Bear5k, Not only you are a good machinist/engineer? but also a consummated poet. I researched my options and I opted for selecting the Rockler MultiTrack for my machine bed. The track provides clamping on both sides and has a lower profile with more holding material. Since they are out of stock, Rockler reduced the price to $24.99 per track (3/4x3x36 inches) for preorders.
    People have reported good results using the stuff from Orange Aluminum. It looks to be cheaper than Rockler.
    T-Track - T-Track

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Rocler t-Tracks

I just received the 5 sections of t-tracks I ordered from Rockler. They came in single plastic tubings. They look high tech, strong and beautiful with the anodized blue color. I'll try to incorporate them to the rest of the parts this weekend.

My project machine has a lot of parts. This is due to the fact that I started it by using materials I had in my shed and little by little adding components. When I realized that I had the opportunity to create a solid machine, I started designing the parts in PowerPoint (I learned to manipulate the graphics). Then, I was able to get some of the components machined in a Bridgeport Milling Machine. It has been a journey! But there is nothing better than to put together your own creation.

My main purpose for the machine is to show my youngest son (12), how to build things. I hope that, since he likes to use computers, he would get involved in designing trinkets and move on to producing real parts. Pictures will be added soon. Take care. By the way, I'm in Miami and the weather here is great this time of the year.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for posting the extensive info and experience with this T slot material. I attempted a build using other approaches and came to a dead end, so I am back considering a T Slot approach. My goal is similar - ability to deal with 5 ft wide sheet material.

I am glad to see how your joints have turned out, because frankly it settled a fear I had about how well butt joints would work out (if the cuts are not accurate enough ) Thank you also for the extensive comments about material selection advantages / challenges.

I am still not entirely sure how to deal with a corner joint that has an upright post, an X and Y directed T Slot frame all meeting at the same place. I guess it can be accomplished with gussets, although it would be handy if it could be done with screws through the frame. I can't see how this can work though since the screws would likely interfere.

Good luck with the twins - it gets easier after about 1 year, but hiring a "mother's helper" can be a real useful thing to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Routing your reply

I appreciate your message. However, it should have been addressed to Bear5k. He is the experienced one and the father of the twins. Keep in touch

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Thank you for posting the extensive info and experience with this T slot material. I attempted a build using other approaches and came to a dead end, so I am back considering a T Slot approach. My goal is similar - ability to deal with 5 ft wide sheet material.

I am glad to see how your joints have turned out, because frankly it settled a fear I had about how well butt joints would work out (if the cuts are not accurate enough ) Thank you also for the extensive comments about material selection advantages / challenges.

I am still not entirely sure how to deal with a corner joint that has an upright post, an X and Y directed T Slot frame all meeting at the same place. I guess it can be accomplished with gussets, although it would be handy if it could be done with screws through the frame. I can't see how this can work though since the screws would likely interfere.
    This is where you have to get creative a bit, I believe. On the one hand, the larger internal opening of the larger square (e.g., 90mm x 90mm) extrusions can probably allow inserting the screw from inside the extrusion, if that makes sense. Locating pins also can help since they are not full depth, but you lose the axial force that a screw provides. A third option is a variation on the gusset theme, which I am hoping to use here eventually, which is to use custom long t-nuts. I am also thinking of using a "layering" approach with some long machine screws (100mm+) that I have on-hand, but that will have to wait a few months.

Good luck with the twins - it gets easier after about 1 year, but hiring a "mother's helper" can be a real useful thing to do.
    Yep, we hired a full-time nanny, but I'm traveling a few days a week for work, so we're still short a hand or two.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Misumi fan also

I'm glad I found this thread. I am in the process of designing my own three axis machine using aluminum structural T slot material. I may or may not use Misumi T slots because I have access to a large quantity of 80/20 and Bosch material. Free can't be beat - especially for my first build.

I have been using Misumi's products for several years and have always found their products to be of exceptional quality. It's like having my own machine shop at my mailbox. I always get a kick out of how well my items are packaged. The Japanese still know how to do that. Here in the U.S., packaging things well is a lost art like bagging groceries.

How is your build progressing? Its been several months since your last post.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Misumi or not!

Welcome: I didn't go with Misumi at this time but Bear5k highly recommends it. For my project I'm using Rockler t-tracks 36". I purchased their nuts and built my own t-track hold downs. I'll get the misumi/8020 in the future. Take care.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aprice12 View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread. I am in the process of designing my own three axis machine using aluminum structural T slot material. I may or may not use Misumi T slots because I have access to a large quantity of 80/20 and Bosch material. Free can't be beat - especially for my first build.

I have been using Misumi's products for several years and have always found their products to be of exceptional quality. It's like having my own machine shop at my mailbox. I always get a kick out of how well my items are packaged. The Japanese still know how to do that. Here in the U.S., packaging things well is a lost art like bagging groceries.

How is your build progressing? Its been several months since your last post.
    The build is largely on hold. With now six month old twin baby girls, I'm at a level of sleep deprivation where I'm not sure I'm safe around power tools. ;-) Fortunately, the day job involves mostly work with computers. And meetings. Lots of meetings. The downside is that the day job is also involving 3 days a week being away from home. Translation: no time for CNC building. If I had to peg it, I'm about 80% - 90% done with the structural build, but after this step comes the squaring and leveling part. That will take some time since that's where the precision is won or lost. All of the work prior is to make that step easier or harder.

If I can catch a break or five on work and my girls get rid of their reflux, I might finish this by Christmas -- only seven-ish short months away!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Aluminum T-Slot Build Using Misumi Extrusion

there are cheaper t-slot rails ..orange aluminum etc. however i find all of rockler's t-slot and t-slot clamp downs top notch...one thing i learned working on vintage cars...do it right the first time..it will last forever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123