Mach3 via Syil X4+ MPG remote - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mach3 via Syil X4+ MPG remote

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a little confused... is this ONLY for the X4 standard to add a manual jog that will work with Mach3? because the X4 + already has the job control so I don't understand why this would be of any use on the plus model.

will this interface with Mach 3 so that Mach3 knows the current position when you jog the control?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    will this interface with Mach 3 so that Mach3 knows the current position when you jog the control?
    Yep, that is correct. Without this cable, you can't use the MPG that comes with the X4+ with Mach3.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

can you buy just the X4 standard and add the MPG to it? is it cheaper to do and easier?

Downloads
    Uploads

can you buy just the X4 standard and add the MPG to it? is it cheaper to do and easier?
    The only differences between a X4 and a X4+ are the MPG remote and the front panel display/controls.
    I never purchased a X4 because the panel+MPG adds good value, we only sell the X4+

John: Glad you received it and you are already using it !

Regarding using the MPG for the C6 lathe, yes, I use it with mine, you just need to manually configure the Lathe profile and start using it.
    In my control PC I have 3 parallel ports, one for the mill, other for the lathe and a third one for the MPG/touch probe.
    Once you go MPG on a mill/lathe you wonder why it took you so long to do it

Pablo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Puablo, sorry for the delay in responding. I recieved the cable a few weeks ago and it arrived in good condition. I will not be able to install and try it any time soon due to the age old problem of "too much to do, not anough time to do it".
    I like the idea of using it on the C6 lathe.
    Regards, Len

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

but the question was... can the X4 standard be fitted with an MPG remote from another vendor easily? or do you need special drivers for this to work that is better off just buying the x4 plus ?

Downloads
    Uploads

but the question was... can the X4 standard be fitted with an MPG remote from another vendor easily? or do you need special drivers for this to work that is better off just buying the x4 plus ?
    Yes, you can. Check post #5 in this thread

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes that's the item I was referring to: http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...roducts_id=160

Why would somebody pay an extra $1,000 for the X4+ when they can save that 1K, buy the X4 STANDARD then just buy this MPG3 pendant for $180 ? This would basically give you the same thing as the X4+ with the exception of the buttons on the front of the column, but who really cares about those buttons when you can jog with the pendant and then get all of your position data through Mach3 ?

Downloads
    Uploads

yes that's the item I was referring to: http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...roducts_id=160

Why would somebody pay an extra $1,000 for the X4+ when they can save that 1K, buy the X4 STANDARD then just buy this MPG3 pendant for $180 ? This would basically give you the same thing as the X4+ with the exception of the buttons on the front of the column, but who really cares about those buttons when you can jog with the pendant and then get all of your position data through Mach3 ?
    Its not just the pendant, but the ability of using the machine without the PC using the pendant and the display, from my point of view the difference is worth the price.
    Luckily for people that thinks like you, and you are 100% correct about what you say, there is the X4.

cheers!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

okay so to clarify.. if you buy just the X4 standard and want to add MPG functionality to it.. what parts do you need to buy and is it hard to setup?

Downloads
    Uploads

okay so to clarify.. if you buy just the X4 standard and want to add MPG functionality to it.. what parts do you need to buy and is it hard to setup?
    cnc4pc sells the interfase board and the mpg, the mpg comes with setup/wiring instructions, and Arturo customer service is top notch.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was just having a play with the mpg on the X4+ and C6 and I am trying to figure out how to fine tune it in Mach3.

At the moment when I turn the mpg one click the distance it travels varies on axis to axis. Like on the Z it moves 0.0850 mm, on the X it is 0.7875 mm and on the Y it is 0.2125 mm

It seems to sometimes move as if it gets a couple of pulses in one click.

Ideally I want one click to = 0.01mm as I can do when the MPG is plugged directly into the X4+

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john_t_h View Post
    I was just having a play with the mpg on the X4+ and C6 and I am trying to figure out how to fine tune it in Mach3.

At the moment when I turn the mpg one click the distance it travels varies on axis to axis. Like on the Z it moves 0.0850 mm, on the X it is 0.7875 mm and on the Y it is 0.2125 mm

It seems to sometimes move as if it gets a couple of pulses in one click.

Ideally I want one click to = 0.01mm as I can do when the MPG is plugged directly into the X4+
    thats possible, but you need to be carefull, press the TAB key to show the virtual MPG in mach3. In its top part you will see two options: single step and multi-step, once you set these modes, the x1 x10 x100 selector is useable again in 0.01 / 0.1 and 1mm increments.

Why be carefull? because mach3 will have a hard time trying to make the machine move at your pace if you make some full turns of the mpg wheel while in multi-step and the x100 setting, why? because it means move 100mm/turn and this can be particularly dangerous as you may crash the spindle. why again? because after you stop turning the mpg wheel, mach3 will keep moving the machine till it catches up with the remaining distance.

My way of work is using it 99% of the time in the suggested setting of step/velocity and when I need very precise movements I go to multistep and the X1 or X10 increment setting.

Enjoy and be carefull !

Pablo

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Pablo,

That works great! I never use X100 setting so the X1 and X10 meet my needs. It's so easy to switch between step/velocity I'll take your advice and only go into multi-step when I need it precise.

When I have my axis switch on the MPG set to Off, I can still move the X axis. X Axis still moves when set to X as well. Any ideas on this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john_t_h View Post
    Thanks Pablo,

That works great! I never use X100 setting so the X1 and X10 meet my needs. It's so easy to switch between step/velocity I'll take your advice and only go into multi-step when I need it precise.

When I have my axis switch on the MPG set to Off, I can still move the X axis. X Axis still moves when set to X as well. Any ideas on this?
    Glad it worked. Yeah, having a MPG with mach3 greatly improves the user experience IMHO.

The Off position in the MPG remote is a no connection, I found no way to let mach3 know that the selector went from a known position (X) to OFF. Thats why it keeps the last setting in the axis and the multiplier.

Pablo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

do you think it works better for the user and for Mach3 to buy the X4 standard then add the MPG to it manually from CNC4PC at a later date?

or should you buy the X4 plus?

Downloads
    Uploads

Buy the X4+

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pablo,
    well I have finally gotten time to install the cable/adapter for the MPG on MY X4plus. I see that you have provided a file and I assume that it sets the ports and pins. I am using a Smooth Stepper and plan to use the second port on it for the MPG, any thoughts? I could use a step by step to install the file you have provided for I am not very swift at this downloading process.
    On another question if I may ask, the ports and pins sheet I got with my X4+ is not very clear on a few points and I hope you may be able to help.
    What are output "signals 1 and 2" used for, they are supposed to be connected to pins 3and 9 respectivlly. I am using signal 1 for the coolant.
    What is the "A home" input to pin 15 used for? There is no home switch on the 4th axis.
    What pins are used for the charge pump?
    The last question I have pertains to the problem of spindle speed control. No matter what you set a g code Sxxx you always get the same speed, around 780RPM. The spindle responds to M3,M4 and M5 but not to S requests for different speeds. I know this has been kicked around before but I can not find any resolutions to the problem.
    Regards,
    Len

Downloads
    Uploads

mmm you got me there
    I don't have the slightest clue about how smoothstepper works, cant you install the lpt port and use it for just this purpose? or smoothstepper takes control of that?

Does smoothstepper provide a parallel port conector?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i just reopened the package you sent for the MPG connector and in the package there is a parallel port/monitor port card and a small cd disc. Am I supposede to use this someplace or was it sent to me in error?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast