Newbie Inherited an X4, spindle question, and looking for any useful info

Thread: Inherited an X4, spindle question, and looking for any useful info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inherited an X4, spindle question, and looking for any useful info

Hi all,

I just inherited a Syil X4 with 4th axis for my home shop. Background-wise, I've got experience working with a Haas office mill, so I'm familiar with CNC but new to the Mach 3 software. I hooked up the system and the axes all home/travel correctly, but the spindle speed seems to disagree between the spindle head display and Mach 3 software. For example, if I tell Mach 3 to turn on the spindle at 500 RPMs, the spindle head display actually shows something around 800 RPMs. If I tell Mach 3 to run at 1000 RPMs, the spindle head shows ~1600 RPMs. I found an X3 spindle speed calibration procedure and was hoping that it would also apply to the X4, but the potentiometers that the procedure wants me to adjust don't appear to be present on this tool. This seems like an issue that should have a simple solution, but documentation on the tool is proving... difficult to find.

I was wondering:
    1. Does anyone know how to fix this spindle issue?
    2. Is there a good resource (forum, tutorials, manual) that someone starting out with the X4 can look through to get started?

I appreciate any help I can get from all of the experts on this forum.

Best,
    --J

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Inherited an X4, spindle question, and looking for any useful info

Not fixable, easily. Just has crap PWM control, that is so bad.
    No tool changer?
    I just run the spindle manually at the speed I want.
    As a comment with a tool change, saying tool size, I make a comment as to the RPM.
    I gave up trying to fix bad.
    There are quite a few other threads about this problem, giving plenty of insight.
    Search SX3 and SX4 spindle.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Inherited an X4, spindle question, and looking for any useful info

Hi, one reason I invested in a digital rev counter so I'll be able to adjust the RPM if it shows different......it's a contactless device and reads a moving white line on the end of the spindle from a distance of 2 metres etc.....cost $28 on ebay.
    Ian.