Noob questions about Syil X4

Thread: Noob questions about Syil X4

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Noob questions about Syil X4

Sorry if these has been asked elsewhere but I browsed through this forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have an opportunity to pick up an X4 that needs some work so before I jump wanted to gets answers.

1. Does anyone know if the tables from a Sieg X3 will fit a Syil X4 (thought the long table option on Little Machine Shop might be a viable upgrade)?
    2. Are any of the hard pieces (castings, housings, etc) compatible with any of the Sieg products so I could get replacements from Grizzly?
    3. This is an early production X4. How hard (or expensive) would it be to get updated replacement electronics since these sound like they are all proprietary?
    4. I already have a Sieg X3 that is not CNC'd. If you have it to do over again, if you had a choice between CNCing an Sieg X3 and fixing a broken Syil X4 (not knowing everything needed) which way would you go?

Thanks,
    Tony

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Noob questions about Syil X4

So does the X4 run rite now? If it does, Then I would "Plug&Play" and get it dialed in as it is...as far as the table upgrade...
    I would leave it as it is..unless you are going to be running 24" in "X". I have an SX3 that has been running for 5+ years everyday, hasn't "missed a chip"
    Just buy it and get Mach Set Up and Make Chips...I think Syil America still has the XML profile for the X4...So go for it...Myself I am an "Old School Machinist"
    I gotta have A "Quill_Mill" (SX3)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Journey_Man, X4 isn't running and may be costly to make it run but my current Grizzly G0463 is not CNC'd either so just trying to figure out what I might gain by selling my X3 and getting the Syil X4 project.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get conversion kits for your x3..Hoss, here on the zone has it down to a science and he is a Machinist and knows what he is doing.Here is his email hoss@g0704.com
    One thing about the conversion is you are going to have a mill to do some millwork on your base and for ballscrews(I think you do)..
    But with the X4 you already have a CNC Mill...just need to find out whats ailing it..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

At the moment I have an X2 and an X3 so should be able to clearance the saddle on the X3 on the X2 if I go slow enough.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It seems what I would be gaining most is column stiffness and a stronger spindle motor....two thinks I can't easily upgrade on the X3. How important would you rate these two items or are they over-rated?

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I have had my mill in some "extreme conditions" and had to baby it...5" from Vise on Z axis...and ran it there for a few hours...just had to watch my Zaxis so i didn't limit out...
    My mill is stock the Spindle Motor is a BLDC motor only goes to 3600 rpm...but i usually run it according to the size of Carbide End Mills..I have broke some 1/2" 4flute carbide end mills and the old lady just kept rite on going...needless to say i had to re indicate the vise & tram the head...too much of a chip load on 6061and not enough WD...
    I think the conversion would give you a whole lot of knowledge about your mill and the experience of a build....I have been doing machine work for a day or two...have made Many parts on my
    SX3 Mill and My C6 Lathe...So get ahold of Hoss and he will tell you how to do what you need to do...Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Take look at the cost of mechanical conversion pieces for your X3 (ballscrew, nuts) vs the cost of the X4. Assuming that you would have to buy a new Breakout Board (BOB), Power Supply, and Stepper motor drivers for the X4 (although they might still be functional), that would hep make the decision. Now throw in the amount of time it would take to do the mechanical conversion (Journey Man might help you with that SWAG)... and how much your time is worth, and how much opportunity cost might be involved (how many parts you could sell if you had an all up round machine).

The X4 looks like it would be a short cut in time, because the mechanical components are all there. Rigging up the electronics, if you have to replace them all, isn't nearly as much work.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.