Older X4 Plus stopped responding to PC

Thread: Older X4 Plus stopped responding to PC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Older X4 Plus stopped responding to PC

I have an older X4 plus which has suddenly stopped responding to the PC, it runs in manual without a problem.

The problem started when in manual the Z axis began to refuse to travel in an upwards direction, this issue was solved by replacing the gas strut. Prior to replacing this the machine would not "Home", Mach3 will show that it is homing on the screen but the machine does not move, also there in no response on the Mach3 screen when activating the limit switches.

I have replaced the printer/parallel card and installed the driver, but the PC will not talk to the machine whatsoever, even depressing the E stop has no response.

HELP!!!!

Marts

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Older X4 Plus stopped responding to PC

Can Syil help?

If you changed the parallel port card, make sure that the port address is correct - it may have defaulted to the wrong. You can change this in either your Mach configuration utility or the PC's BIOS utility.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guy's, I have removed the driver etc. from the PC for the old Parallel card and made the new one assigned to LPT1 as in the mach3 software. I have checked continuity between both end of the cable and the appear OK, but I will pick up a new cable today.
    E stop relay is clicking on and off as would be expected but is not showing in Mach 3.
    Just for a double check, can anyone provide me with the correct "input signals" and "emulated input signals" settings?

Marts

Downloads
    Uploads

You also need to set the port address so that it matches what Mach3 expects.

How to read Parallel/Serial Port address from BIOS

mib-tech professional laser level protractor

There are probably better sources for this info, but I'm out of time so hopefully one of these will put you on the right path.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Find the parallel port in Device Manager, and you will see the address in properties.
    It is not always 0x378 or 0x278, and some cards can be reprogrammed to some other address.
    This must match the Mach3 settings. Default settings, often don't match.
    If continuity on cable is OK this is not the problem.
    Measure some things.
    In ports and pins, identify the direction pin for X or Y axis.
    Negative of meter to PC chassis is probably OK. Pins 18-25 are usually ground.

Connect meter to a direction pin and using arrow keys to jog left and right (X) or up and down (Y) will make the voltage
    on direction pin change from fairly low to between 3 and 5v.

Until you get Mach3 working this way, your port is not setup correctly, and certainly won't work (your machine)
    Parallel Port

Do you have the original .XML file, before Mach3 might have changed it?

Last edited by neilw20; 09-20-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: typos
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marts View Post
    Thanks guy's, I have removed the driver etc. from the PC for the old Parallel card and made the new one assigned to LPT1 as in the mach3 software. I have checked continuity between both end of the cable and the appear OK, but I will pick up a new cable today.
    E stop relay is clicking on and off as would be expected but is not showing in Mach 3.
    Just for a double check, can anyone provide me with the correct "input signals" and "emulated input signals" settings?

Marts
    Marts - Did you sort out the estop in the end? Mine clicks. Even see a momentary flash of the estop light in mach3 dig. Yet mach3 doesn't stop. Possibly more mach3 than Syil. Incidentally 2015 X4 plus with smoothstepper. Apologies if it feels like I'm hijacking.

Pete